PDA

View Full Version : Behavior problems

Glitter Ninja
February 1st 06, 12:26 AM
I've been doing research online and I'm getting so much conflicting
information that I thought I'd ask here. Sorry this is so long.
Our cat Simon is aggressive to other cats and has destructive clawing
habits. He also doesn't play anymore. On the advice of several here I
took him to the vet again and he again has a clean bill of health.
Simon is an indoor-only cat, as are all of our cats.
We got him about 4 years ago as a playmate for Reggie, and they were
best friends, snuggling and playing all the time. However Simon would
attack our older cat Spam but that improved after a few months of work.
Simon's behavior goes back and forth. A year ago he started attacking
Spam again, then stopped. He attacked Reggie as well, then went back to
being friendly and snuggly, but now he is scared of Reggie. He gets
defensive and growling, ears back, any time Reggie gets near. Reggie
doesn't instigate anything.
The scratching is bad now, too. Simon scratches things he never cared
about before, like wood and carpet. And antique furniture, of course.
We have throws and coverings and trees and posts all over the place,
which helps, but all it makes Simon do is find something unprotected he
can destroy.
We inherited a fourth cat but Simon tolerates him. Simon's behavior
started MONTHS BEFORE we got the fourth cat, so I am convinced the
fourth cat did NOT cause the change in behavior.
Simon vomits quite a bit, usually after he's eaten, like he eats too
much and upchucks half of it. I've caught him starting to vomit and
deliberately jumping up onto things so he can vomit on furniture instead
of the floor. He's vomited into shoes. The vets are unconcerned
because he isn't losing weight and his throat wasn't raw or anything.
We've tried several things over the years. We spent about a year
rewarding Simon when he did the right thing, and didn't punish him or
give him attention if he messed up. It didn't work, so we tried shake
cans and squirt guns and saying "no", but that didn't work, either. We
tried several Feliway diffusers but it made no difference. The vets all
say the same thing -- put him in a separate room away from everyone.
That's just not feasible, and Simon gets so lonely and sad when he's
isolated.
My husband wants to get rid of Simon. Between the stuff he's
destroyed or damaged, the stuff we have to clean up, and how the other
cats all hate him, Simon is a huge stressor. Simon would love to watch
the bunnies outside but we can't open windows for him because he claws
through the screens, chews through the blinds and shreds the curtains.
We play with Simon but he walks off after a few seconds and lays down
somewhere, uninterested. He obviously won't play with the other cats.
I think he's really unhappy. But with the chewing, scratching, and
vomiting, I don't think anyone else will take him. I'm just at my wits
end here. It's distressing because we've always been able to work with
tough cats before.
Any advice at all is appreciated.

Stacia

Glitter Ninja
February 1st 06, 09:54 AM
"Mr Tibbs" > writes:

>Wow, who would have thought you lived with all this drama
>you never said nothing.

Four cats equals drama!

>Do you keep food out all the time? After you feed them are the plates
>empty?

We do keep kibble out all the time. We started this practice when we
adopted our 2nd oldest cat Reggie from the shelter. He'd been abused by
his previous owners and if he didn't see kibble out 24/7 he would get
upset, so we made sure kibble was always out, to reassure him. All 4
cats are used to kibble being out all the time. Each cat has their own
bowl and we keep out two huge dog bowls of water, too.

>I believe with all my heart, this will stop the vomiting. He is doing
>this from fullness, and possibly nervousness

I agree. I think he's unhappy and nervous but sometimes feel like
there's nothing I can do to help. It doesn't help that my hubby is
losing patience.

Stacia

Mr Tibbs
February 1st 06, 02:45 PM
Glitter Ninja wrote:

> I agree. I think he's unhappy and nervous but sometimes feel like
> there's nothing I can do to help. It doesn't help that my hubby is
> losing patience.
>
> Stacia

mhmm
--

maybe don't give him anymore can food for a while
Simon can live on kibble only, maybe he won't throw the kibble up.

I wonder if there's anything natural you could give him to chill him
out a little.
I would, poor little fella is jumping up and down on thin ice.

How would you find him another home, maybe you have a neice or brother
you know..
someone who would like to have him.

cybercat
February 1st 06, 05:17 PM
"Glitter Ninja" > wrote

> I agree. I think he's unhappy and nervous but sometimes feel like
there's nothing I can do to help. It doesn't help that my hubby is
> losing patience.

Have you tried Feliway?

Glitter Ninja
February 1st 06, 07:19 PM
"cybercat" > writes:
>"Glitter Ninja" > wrote

>> I agree. I think he's unhappy and nervous but sometimes feel like
>> there's nothing I can do to help. It doesn't help that my hubby is
>> losing patience.

>Have you tried Feliway?

Yes, we got some diffusers and used it for several weeks. It didn't
seem to make a difference at all (although one of the cats would sit and
watch the diffuser puff out the mist periodically!)

Stacia