PDA

View Full Version : 10 year old female cat urination question.

nadoja
February 2nd 06, 01:11 AM
I have a 10 year old female persian cat. A few months ago, she has
adopted a new littter box habit. She places her front paws in the box,
her hind paws on the edge of the box, and she squats and urinates
outside the box. Urinary tract infection/cystits has been ruled out.
I have bought a new box since this behavior began. She does use the
box to defecate. I have attempted "Litterbox 101" with her, by placing
her in the box when I catch her during the act, by placing her in the
box where she finshes her business and I offer her praise and a treat.
I have also tried keeping her in close quarters (the bathroom) with her
pillow, toys, food, bed and litterbox in hopes that she would not want
to pee in her "home" - that technique was effective for a week, then
she started urinating outside the box the way she had been. Any
suggestions on how to correct this problem?

Gail
February 2nd 06, 01:17 AM
Try getting another litter box and place it in the room with the old one.
Gail
"nadoja" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 10 year old female persian cat. A few months ago, she has
> adopted a new littter box habit. She places her front paws in the box,
> her hind paws on the edge of the box, and she squats and urinates
> outside the box. Urinary tract infection/cystits has been ruled out.
> I have bought a new box since this behavior began. She does use the
> box to defecate. I have attempted "Litterbox 101" with her, by placing
> her in the box when I catch her during the act, by placing her in the
> box where she finshes her business and I offer her praise and a treat.
> I have also tried keeping her in close quarters (the bathroom) with her
> pillow, toys, food, bed and litterbox in hopes that she would not want
> to pee in her "home" - that technique was effective for a week, then
> she started urinating outside the box the way she had been. Any
> suggestions on how to correct this problem?

Corey Kaye
February 2nd 06, 01:17 AM
nadoja wrote:

> I have a 10 year old female persian cat. A few months ago, she has
> adopted a new littter box habit. She places her front paws in the
> box, her hind paws on the edge of the box, and she squats and urinates
> outside the box. Urinary tract infection/cystits has been ruled out.
> I have bought a new box since this behavior began. She does use the
> box to defecate. I have attempted "Litterbox 101" with her, by
> placing her in the box when I catch her during the act, by placing
> her in the box where she finshes her business and I offer her praise
> and a treat. I have also tried keeping her in close quarters (the
> bathroom) with her pillow, toys, food, bed and litterbox in hopes
> that she would not want to pee in her "home" - that technique was
> effective for a week, then she started urinating outside the box the
> way she had been. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

Get a bigger box?

I use rubbermaid storage things for litter boxes. They're probably
24x18x12".

Also, have you ruled out arthritis in the hind end? Perhaps it's physically
difficult for her to get into the box.

Corey

February 2nd 06, 11:50 PM
My cat never goes in the litter box when he urinates but he stands on
the edge of the box and urinates in the box maybe your cat is doing the
same thing just doesn't know that it's missing the box?

---MIKE---
February 3rd 06, 12:06 AM
You might try getting a larger box. Place the present box inside of the
larger box. This way when she stands on the edge the urine will go into
the outer box.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

DJ
February 3rd 06, 03:30 AM
Maybe try a covered litter box or a Boda box. That way she wouldn't even be
able to stand on the sides.
"nadoja" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 10 year old female persian cat. A few months ago, she has
> adopted a new littter box habit. She places her front paws in the box,
> her hind paws on the edge of the box, and she squats and urinates
> outside the box. Urinary tract infection/cystits has been ruled out.
> I have bought a new box since this behavior began. She does use the
> box to defecate. I have attempted "Litterbox 101" with her, by placing
> her in the box when I catch her during the act, by placing her in the
> box where she finshes her business and I offer her praise and a treat.
> I have also tried keeping her in close quarters (the bathroom) with her
> pillow, toys, food, bed and litterbox in hopes that she would not want
> to pee in her "home" - that technique was effective for a week, then
> she started urinating outside the box the way she had been. Any
> suggestions on how to correct this problem?

nadoja
February 6th 06, 06:12 AM
I have replaced the box once about 2 months ago. Funny thing is that
she sometimes gets in completely, and voids where she should, then
other times she is keeping her hind paws on the edge while her front
paws are inside and she voids outside the box. I even tried putting
tin foil on the edge of the box (cats are not supposed to like the
feeling of this on their feet), but it did not work. I just lowered
the height of the opening to the box so that when she stands there with
her hind legs on the edge, she does not quite fit. Hopefully this may
help. Keeping my fingers crossed.

nadoja
February 6th 06, 06:13 AM
I have used and open box, then switched to a closed one... did not make
a difference.

Henry cosmic_catluvr
February 6th 06, 11:16 PM
My cat never goes in the litter box when he urinates but he stands on the edge of the box and urinates in the box maybe your cat is doing the same thing just doesn't know that it's missing the box?

I know it's not a solution to the behavior, but if you are concerned about your floors, you might try some rubber floor mats with deep grooves that are designed to trap liquids, normally rainwater brought in from the outdoors. I've had similar problems with my elderly cats. I placed 1 or 2 of these mats where they usually peed on the floor and at least that kept the floor from being further damaged.

Henry cosmic_catluvr
St. Louis, MO

Corey Kaye
February 7th 06, 02:20 AM
Henry cosmic_catluvr wrote:

> I know it's not a solution to the behavior, but if you are concerned
> about your floors, you might try some rubber floor mats with deep
> grooves that are designed to trap liquids, normally rainwater brought
> in from the outdoors. I've had similar problems with my elderly cats.
> I placed 1 or 2 of these mats where they usually peed on the floor and
> at least that kept the floor from being further damaged.

I've also suggested puppy training pads to a friend with a similar cat
problem. They're not expensive, trap urine well, and are disposible.

Corey

Rene S.
February 8th 06, 10:58 PM
What about using a Rubbermaid storage box that has higher sides, and
cut an opening on one of the sides, which will make it easier for her
to get in and out.

nadoja
February 14th 06, 06:48 PM
Since February 7th, I lowered the height of the opening to the closed
litter box. I used a piece of newspaper large enough to keep her from
stanging on her hind legs on the edge of the box and taped it on. She
now climbs into the box without any difficulty and urinates where she
is supposed to! :-)