PDA

View Full Version : Correct water temperature?

Meranda Anne
February 3rd 06, 03:59 PM
Hi there,

What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
for cats?

The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
~m.

Badass Scotsman
February 3rd 06, 04:27 PM
Room temperature should be fine?

I have a Cockatoo (I know, slightly different), who refuses to drink
anything except hot(ish) water, or tea from a cup.

Gary.

"Meranda Anne" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
> for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
> know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
> for cats?
>
> The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
> kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
> water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
> to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
> meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
> and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
> was.

> ~m.

yngver
February 3rd 06, 05:06 PM
Meranda Anne wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
> for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
> know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
> for cats?
>
> The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
> kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
> water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
> to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
> meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
> and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
> was.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In my experience, it depends on the cat. I think for most cats, room
temperature water is fine, but one of our cats does prefer cold water.
But if your cat doesn't like his water cold, you could just pour it
from the Brita and let it sit awhile so he's still getting the filtered
water.

However, I think your cat is probably meowing about something
else--maybe he's tired of his food.
-Yngver

Meranda Anne
February 3rd 06, 07:42 PM
yngver wrote:
> Meranda Anne wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
> > for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
> > know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
> > for cats?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
> > kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
> > water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
> > to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
> > meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
> > and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
> > was.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> In my experience, it depends on the cat. I think for most cats, room
> temperature water is fine, but one of our cats does prefer cold water.
> But if your cat doesn't like his water cold, you could just pour it
> from the Brita and let it sit awhile so he's still getting the filtered
> water.
>
> However, I think your cat is probably meowing about something
> else--maybe he's tired of his food.
> -Yngver

I give him his food first, which he usually eats right away. I then
fill his water. He meows shortly after I set the water down. This is
why I thought it was the water.

I was also going to ask about food, too. In the past I fed him
plain-jane Cat Chow (yeah I know, horrible stuff). He seemed to get
sick of it and was not eating it, often leaving large portions
untouched. He really likes seafood. So I started feeding him Meow Mix
Seafood Medley (just as horrible?). He eventually got used to it and
would gobble it down. He does not act the way he did as with the Cat
Chow, he usually eats every bit of it.

I would really like to give him more expensive, nutritional food -- but
my thought is that I cannot afford it. Around $12 a bag for the
_good_ stuff as opposed to $4 for Meow Mix. I have heard that the
more expensive stuff _is_ more filling so you actually might end up
spending the same amount money. Is this true? Any recommendations for
an affordable, yet better nutrition-wise food that is available (or is
that an oxymoron?)?

Thanks again!! :)

o!
--
~m.

CatNipped
February 3rd 06, 08:51 PM
"Meranda Anne" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> yngver wrote:
>> Meranda Anne wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
>> > for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
>> > know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
>> > for cats?
>> >
>> > The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
>> > kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
>> > water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
>> > to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
>> > meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
>> > and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
>> > was.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>> >
>> In my experience, it depends on the cat. I think for most cats, room
>> temperature water is fine, but one of our cats does prefer cold water.
>> But if your cat doesn't like his water cold, you could just pour it
>> from the Brita and let it sit awhile so he's still getting the filtered
>> water.
>>
>> However, I think your cat is probably meowing about something
>> else--maybe he's tired of his food.
>> -Yngver
>
> I give him his food first, which he usually eats right away. I then
> fill his water. He meows shortly after I set the water down. This is
> why I thought it was the water.
>
> I was also going to ask about food, too. In the past I fed him
> plain-jane Cat Chow (yeah I know, horrible stuff). He seemed to get
> sick of it and was not eating it, often leaving large portions
> untouched. He really likes seafood. So I started feeding him Meow Mix
> Seafood Medley (just as horrible?). He eventually got used to it and
> would gobble it down. He does not act the way he did as with the Cat
> Chow, he usually eats every bit of it.
>
> I would really like to give him more expensive, nutritional food -- but
> my thought is that I cannot afford it. Around $12 a bag for the
> _good_ stuff as opposed to $4 for Meow Mix. I have heard that the
> more expensive stuff _is_ more filling so you actually might end up
> spending the same amount money. Is this true? Any recommendations for
> an affordable, yet better nutrition-wise food that is available (or is
> that an oxymoron?)?
>
> Thanks again!! :)
>
> o!
> --
> ~m.

Yes, it is true - and you'll also have less to clean out of the litter box
(and less smelly) since they metabolize the "good stuff" better.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Judy
February 4th 06, 04:58 AM
"Meranda Anne" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
> for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
> know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
> for cats?
>
> The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
> kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
> water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
> to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
> meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
> and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
> was.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When it comes to water and my cat, she's happy with room temperature water
from the tap.

A friend of mine uses Brita water for her cats and the container is kept on
a kitchen counter at room temperature. They also like water at room
temperature.

February 4th 06, 06:49 AM
Meranda Anne wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
> for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
> know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
> for cats?
>
> The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
> kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
> water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
> to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
> meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
> and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
> was.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Room temp.

-L.

zaax
February 7th 06, 01:23 AM
Meranda Anne wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
> for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything.
> I know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the
> same for cats?
>
> The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
> kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
> water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
> to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
> meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
> and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
> was.

> ~m.

Cat are as finky as we are. Sometimes they like a change - try him on
diet coke. I bet you wouldn't like chicken every day for 5 months. When
I cook I cook an extra 5oz the meat for him, and a bit of gravy when i
have gravy.

Also when he doesn't like something I start not to like it as well. At
present he doesn't like the gravey which you just add hot water, and I
tend to agree - to much salt.

My be his taste in food is better than mine. They did have Blackbird
back in the olden days - I wonder what it tastes like.

--
zaax
They kill Dolphins in Key West