PDA

View Full Version : Cats not getting along

SBTH
February 4th 06, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I have two cats - Smokey is 5 years old and I have him 4 years. Harry is 3
years old and I have him 2 months. They fight! Neither cat will give in.
There has been no injuries as such yet except yesterday I noticed some
scratches on Smokey's forehead but nothing serious. Over Christmas I found
them snuggled up together and I thought this was progress but it turned out
to be a once off event!!

Has anyone any advice for me please? Should I leave them fight or should I
break it up? And is there anything I can do to help them get on better?
They fight and next thing one is asleep on my lap and the other asleep
beside me on the couch! So, they can tolerate one another in the same
room - they spend most of the day asleep on my bed but at opposite ends!

I am going on holidays in four weeks time and I have them booked into a
cattery but have only booked one cubicle. I wouldn't like to think of
either of them on their own for two weeks while I'm away but I'm thinking
now I should book separate cubicles.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Siobhán

February 4th 06, 06:30 PM
In article >,
says...
> Hi,
>
> I have two cats - Smokey is 5 years old and I have him 4 years. Harry is 3
> years old and I have him 2 months. They fight! Neither cat will give in.
> There has been no injuries as such yet except yesterday I noticed some
> scratches on Smokey's forehead but nothing serious. Over Christmas I found
> them snuggled up together and I thought this was progress but it turned out
> to be a once off event!!
>
> Has anyone any advice for me please? Should I leave them fight or should I
> break it up? And is there anything I can do to help them get on better?
> They fight and next thing one is asleep on my lap and the other asleep
> beside me on the couch! So, they can tolerate one another in the same
> room - they spend most of the day asleep on my bed but at opposite ends!
>
> I am going on holidays in four weeks time and I have them booked into a
> cattery but have only booked one cubicle. I wouldn't like to think of
> either of them on their own for two weeks while I'm away but I'm thinking
> now I should book separate cubicles.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Relationships between cats that aren't littermates are either solid or
fluid.

For example, the first cat in this house was Randy who is now 16 years
old.

Emily came into the house as a 6 week old kitten when Randy was 3.

They're alternately friends and bitter enemies depending on who is
perceived to have gotten more attention than the other.

Since the introduction of Cosimo 7 years ago, it appears that:

Emily and Randy are still friends/enemies
Cosimo and Randy are friends
Cosimo and Emily is an interesting relationship. They'll sit across from
each other and swipe at each other. Otherwise they're curled up next to
each other when they sleep.

When Randy and Emily get into a brawl, Cosimo just steers clear.

Mathew Kagis
February 4th 06, 11:45 PM
I tried bathing both my cats, one after the other, then snuggling on the
couch with them both under a blanket... It worked real well.....
Good luck.

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

meee
February 5th 06, 01:51 AM
"SBTH" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have two cats - Smokey is 5 years old and I have him 4 years. Harry is
> 3 years old and I have him 2 months. They fight! Neither cat will give
> in. There has been no injuries as such yet except yesterday I noticed some
> scratches on Smokey's forehead but nothing serious. Over Christmas I
> found them snuggled up together and I thought this was progress but it
> turned out to be a once off event!!
>
> Has anyone any advice for me please? Should I leave them fight or should
> I break it up? And is there anything I can do to help them get on better?
> They fight and next thing one is asleep on my lap and the other asleep
> beside me on the couch! So, they can tolerate one another in the same
> room - they spend most of the day asleep on my bed but at opposite ends!
>
> I am going on holidays in four weeks time and I have them booked into a
> cattery but have only booked one cubicle. I wouldn't like to think of
> either of them on their own for two weeks while I'm away but I'm thinking
> now I should book separate cubicles.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>
> Siobhán

Hi Siobhan...I justintroduced two new cats two my house, so I know how you
are feeling!!! They need to sort out the 'pecking order' so to speak, and it
sounds like they are doing that. It is good that they are snuggling up
together a bit, as that is a good sign they will get along, but even cats
who are good friends usually keep a bit of space between them; sleeping at
opposite ends of the bed sounds fine. Here are the things I did to make sure
things didn't get too out of hand. Make sure each cat has a 'safe place' at
all times where they can retreat. It helps to intervene sometimes with
keeping the other cat away if one cat needs some 'time out'. If things are
getting too heated, for instance you feel a real fight is developing, not
just a bit of hissing and scratching, throw a blanket over the cats, grab
one with the blanket, and put him in a different room to the other cat. The
best thing you can do is clip their claws. If you don't know how, most of us
here can tell you. Make sure there are enough food bowls; 3 should do, and
three water bowls. Keep them seperate at food time, and make sure everyone
has enough. Free feeding dry food is a good idea at this time. Leave several
full bowls of dry food around the house, as this makes it imossible for food
to be a problem. The same goes for litter boxes. Make sure there are one for
each cat, and an extra one, and make sure that one cat cannot 'guard' all
three boxes at once, preventing the other from going to the loo. Put the
litter boxes in different rooms, not under furniture, and in the middle of
the wall rather than the corner, so the cat can get away easily if it feels
threatened by the other cat. Try and pat both cats together so they won't
fight over you. At present, all six of my cats are sitting happily in the
'cat room' each in their favourite spot. A bit of hissing and swiping at
each other still occurs, but if ignored it calms down quickly. Above all,
stay calm yourself, as your cats will get more edgy if they think you are
worried. If you treat the new arrival as 'normal' and pay no attention to
the spitting, your cats will pick up the calmness from you, and get used to
each other faster. Sorry this explanation is a bit long and convoluted, but
I hope it helps anyway. And as for the holiday, if they are getting on ok,
and not hurting each other, they may actually be better off together, as
they will be more used to each other and may provide some security for each
other in a strange place. It might actually help them get along. If you
seperate them it may set things back as they will have to get used to each
other all over again after they come back home. Make sure their claws are
clipped before the go to the shelter, to prevent major fights. Good luck!!

Laura
February 5th 06, 03:53 AM
Hi, Siobhán

Lots of good advice here. I'll just add a bit.

Cats, unlike dogs, don't make instant friends. It will take time but the
fact that there haven't been any injuries, aside from some minor scratches,
is very positive. We have thirty cats and have found that they can generally
sort things out among themselves if left alone. There are only three couples
of cats that we need to keep seperate because their confrontations can go
beyond hissing and scratching to biting or more serious injuries. as long as
your boys aren't causing each other injuries, they are doing okay. That they
tolerate each other on the bed and have even snuggled on occasion are very
positive signs. Don't despair--it will just take time.

Boarding them in the same cubicle may actually make them form a stronger bond
as they will only have each other for comfort. Just as a thought, leaving
them with an article of clothing that smells of you--a shirt you have worn,
for example--may be something nice for them while you are away.

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 5th 06, 04:45 AM
<I have two cats - Smokey is 5 years old and I have him 4 years. Harry is 3
>years old and I have him 2 months. They fight! Neither cat will give in.

Are they neutered?

NanCe