PDA

View Full Version : Spraying

February 4th 06, 06:11 PM
I have an indoor, neutered male kitty. I walked by the front door of
the house this morning and smelled cat urine. Finding nothing inside
the door - my cat has never gone outside his litter box or sprayed - I
looked outside and sure enough another cat sprayed on my wooden door.
Seems to have dripped onto the weatherstripping around the door and the
odor is getting into the house. Two questions - how do I stop the
outside cat from doing this again? And, is there something that will
eliminate the odor on the door? It is a stained and varnished carved
oak door. The urine seems to have soaked into the wood. However, it
had to happen just this morning, as I didn't notice the odor yesterday.
Help!!!!!

NMR
February 4th 06, 06:29 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have an indoor, neutered male kitty. I walked by the front door of
> the house this morning and smelled cat urine. Finding nothing inside
> the door - my cat has never gone outside his litter box or sprayed - I
> looked outside and sure enough another cat sprayed on my wooden door.
> Seems to have dripped onto the weatherstripping around the door and the
> odor is getting into the house. Two questions - how do I stop the
> outside cat from doing this again? And, is there something that will
> eliminate the odor on the door? It is a stained and varnished carved
> oak door. The urine seems to have soaked into the wood. However, it
> had to happen just this morning, as I didn't notice the odor yesterday.
> Help!!!!!

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/misc.shtml
http://www.urinegone.com/

February 4th 06, 06:44 PM
Thanks. Now I wonder how I keep the cat outside from doing this again?
[It isn't my cat] Must be a neighbor's.

NMR
February 4th 06, 07:04 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks. Now I wonder how I keep the cat outside from doing this again?
> [It isn't my cat] Must be a neighbor's.

There are some deterrents sprays that you can buy at the petstore
you can take white pepper and put it all around the areas that the cat is
coming into
If you can afford it about $50 buy an sonic animals repeller that emits an
no harming sonic sound and have it facing away from the house so the indoor
kitty is not bothered

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 4th 06, 08:51 PM
> I looked outside and sure enough another cat sprayed on my wooden door.
>Seems to have dripped onto the weatherstripping around the door and the
>odor is getting into the house.

The exact same thing happened to my door last week. Yes, it reeks right into
the house. What I did is wiped if off with paper towels, then poured a large
mixure of half bleach and half water on the door and the stairs to disenfect
them. It then smelled of bleach for a few hours but disapated over time. I
wanted to disinfect the door as it opens into the house and I also take my
cats outside sometimes. As it is winter they sometimes sit on the stairs for
a bit but don't want to go anywhere else cause of the snow. I didn't want
them sitting on stairs that had another cat's urine on it . I know there is
a proper ratio of bleach to water that shelters use that is supposed to kill
germs and diseases but I don't know what it is; that's what they used at a
shelter I used to volunteer at. I think they used less bleach than I used in
my mixture but their's was also twice the strength of the bleach we buy in
the store. Anyways, the smell of urine is gone and the cat hasn't done it
again since.

NanCe

NMR
February 4th 06, 09:02 PM
"NanCe via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>> I looked outside and sure enough another cat sprayed on my wooden door.
>>Seems to have dripped onto the weatherstripping around the door and the
>>odor is getting into the house.
>
> The exact same thing happened to my door last week. Yes, it reeks right
> into
> the house. What I did is wiped if off with paper towels, then poured a
> large
> mixure of half bleach and half water on the door and the stairs to
> disenfect
> them. It then smelled of bleach for a few hours but disapated over time.
> wanted to disinfect the door as it opens into the house and I also take my
> cats outside sometimes. As it is winter they sometimes sit on the stairs
> for
> a bit but don't want to go anywhere else cause of the snow. I didn't want
> them sitting on stairs that had another cat's urine on it . I know there
> is
> a proper ratio of bleach to water that shelters use that is supposed to
> kill
> germs and diseases but I don't know what it is; that's what they used at a
> shelter I used to volunteer at. I think they used less bleach than I used
> in
> my mixture but their's was also twice the strength of the bleach we buy in
> the store. Anyways, the smell of urine is gone and the cat hasn't done it
> again since.
>
> NanCe

my shelters tries to stay away from bleach we use the vinegar formula or a
professional mix from the commercial store

February 4th 06, 09:06 PM
Hi

I live in Ohio, so it is winter here, but rather mild. Isn't this
strange that these cats are spraying on doors? I have never had that
happen before. Never heard of it. I just tried some Resolve on it.
The Resolve is supposed to have enzymes that neutralize the odor. I am
afraid that bleach will ruin the finish, but if nothing else works I
will try it. The odor is better. My door also opens into the house.
But my kitty doesn't go outside at all. I just didn't want my house
smelling like cat urine!

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 4th 06, 10:39 PM
>my shelters tries to stay away from bleach we use the vinegar formula or a
>professional mix from the commercial store

Really? How do they kill diseases? At the shelter I was at, they used a
bleach/water mixture - I think it was just a small amount of industrial
strength bleach to a large part of water - they sprayed it on cages, then
wiped it off, to disenfect them after the animal that was in it was adopted
out and a new one was to be put in it. They also put in the foot baths so
the bottoms of people's shoes would be disenfected and they would not bring
anything into the shelter. They put it in the water that was used to clean
litter boxes and food bowls too (of course they were well rinsed off
aftwerward).

NanCe

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 4th 06, 10:47 PM
>Isn't this strange that these cats are spraying on doors? I have never had that
>happen before.

Me neither. They spray my car tires and garage but those are on ground level.
There are stairs that lead up to the door so that means he actually walked up
the stairs to do it - he actually made an effort to do it instead of just
strolling up the driveway and targeting something at ground level. Betcha
he was pretty proud of himself.

NanCe

February 4th 06, 11:14 PM
My front door is up about 5 stairs also. Really strange. I have never
found them spraying on anything here before.