PDA

View Full Version : Head pressing


Lauren Zabrosky
February 5th 06, 03:17 AM
Can anyone tell me what "head pressing" means? I have a sick kitty on my
hands, and I have only been able to read very little about this
behavior, which I believe he is exhibiting.( I did some searching on my
own on the internet about cat symptoms.) My cat was healthy 4 days ago,
then stopped eating, purring and generally acting unlike himself. He's
been to the vets and his blood tests came out good and he has no
infections or obvious bladder or organ problems. He was dehydrated and
they gave him fluids and electrolytes intravenously, with the hope
whatever was wrong would run it's course. He's home with us now, but all
he does when he's awake is walk around the house in slow circles,
getting into tight spaces from which i have to pull him out.
I thought he may have had a stroke but we haven't taken him back to the
vet again. My husband feels he should be euthanized which would break my
heart, but I would do if I thought there was no chance of him
recovering. The cost of continued veterinary trips is not something we
can afford. He is not in any apparent pain, he's 13 and still walks o.k.
I wonder if anyone out there may have had similar experience from which
their cat recovered. Thanks, Laurie Zabrosky

Mr Tibbs
February 5th 06, 03:30 AM
Lauren Zabrosky wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what "head pressing" means? I have a sick kitty on my
had similar experience from which
> their cat recovered. Thanks, Laurie Zabrosky

Sorry to hear this!

maybe the kittens body is producing amonia in the eyes, and making her
partially blind.

I can't remember what causes this, or if it even happens in kittens.

JJ
February 5th 06, 12:36 PM
I really wish you could go to the Vet.

Is your cat on any antiobiotics - how are her ears? Some cats can get
a deep ear infection and and can impair balance causing them to be less
coordinated and walk in circles? Does your cat have a head tilt?

Is your cat able to see, are eyes dialated?

Any advice given on this message board is not as good as actually
taking your cat to a Veterinarian and getting professional medical
advise...and I fear you are risking your cats life by not getting
Veterinary care.

JJ
February 5th 06, 12:36 PM
I really wish you could go to the Vet.

Is your cat on any antiobiotics - how are her ears? Some cats can get
a deep ear infection and and can impair balance causing them to be less
coordinated and walk in circles? Does your cat have a head tilt?

Is your cat able to see, are eyes dialated?

Any advice given on this message board is not as good as actually
taking your cat to a Veterinarian and getting professional medical
advise...and I fear you are risking your cats life by not getting
Veterinary care.

Lauren Zabrosky
February 5th 06, 05:57 PM
I HAVE taken my cat to the vets. As I said, bloodwork turned up good and
his physical exam showed nothing wrong The vet said that he was in very
good condition being and older "kitty" of 13+. The problem is, after
spending the first $220 to determine that much, how many more tests do
we do? The vet gave us special high protein food which we feed him with
a syringe, and lot's of water. He moves around pretty good and doesn't
have any head tilt. We let him outdoors this morning and the fresh air
seemed to put a little more spring in his step, and he also urinated
while out. I guess I just wish he would begin eating on his own again,
and be able to use the litter pan. He sees o.k. too, because he follows
his toy on a string when I drag it around, just no interest in snagging
it. I'm waiting for signs of improvement I guess.

---MIKE---
February 5th 06, 06:49 PM
Lauren, Would you please turn your html signature off when you post to
this group. TIA


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Switch
February 6th 06, 01:20 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Lauren, Would you please turn your html signature off when you post to
> this group. TIA
whats is doing

ensoul
February 6th 06, 01:33 AM
my cats are a year old, brother's ...Rudy does the head pressing all
the time and Moe doesn't....they're both in good health

get this the smaller cat, Rudy is the dominate one


ensoul


One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
making exciting discoveries.
~A. A. Milne

February 6th 06, 06:19 AM
Lauren Zabrosky wrote:
> I HAVE taken my cat to the vets. As I said, bloodwork turned up good and
> his physical exam showed nothing wrong The vet said that he was in very
> good condition being and older "kitty" of 13+. The problem is, after
> spending the first $220 to determine that much, how many more tests do
> we do? The vet gave us special high protein food which we feed him with
> a syringe, and lot's of water. He moves around pretty good and doesn't
> have any head tilt. We let him outdoors this morning and the fresh air
> seemed to put a little more spring in his step, and he also urinated
> while out. I guess I just wish he would begin eating on his own again,
> and be able to use the litter pan. He sees o.k. too, because he follows
> his toy on a string when I drag it around, just no interest in snagging
> it. I'm waiting for signs of improvement I guess.

Circling and head pressing are signs of brain damage, seizure, stroke
and encephalitis, among other things. I would get a second opinion
from another vet.

-L.