PDA

View Full Version : cat: vomited twice, not eating much, test all fine... help

February 6th 06, 06:17 AM
Hi,

we have an 11 year old male. He's always been in perfect health. a week
ago he vomited up a full stomach's worth of food, cleaned it up, though
possibly it was because I'd switched him to science diet senior
hairball controll (he used to eat this, but a few months ago, he ate
something else because our friends gave us a bag to try; he liked it,
but it smelled bad, and when we bought him his own food they were out
of hairball control, so he eat a whole bag of regular senior food). I
thought maybe the food had irritated him, and wanted him to eat, so I
gave him canned food the next day (wellness); vomited that up as well.
took him to emergency, concerned; they x rayed him because his abdomen
seemed tender; he looked constipated, so they gave him an enema. sent
him home.

he didnt seem to go much from this enema, and he still wasn't really
wanting to eat (canned or dry food); so I took him in for a follow up,
the vet thought he might have an obstruction (there was something
slightly odd looking in the xrays, just a passage that looked possibly
a tad wider than normal), so she scheduled an ultrasound, because he
also seemed have a very slightly odd heartbeat. all his bloodwork, btw,
came back completely normal.

Ultrasound: showed nothing. everything looked completely fine. However,
the vet also said he felt like the thyroid might be slightly enlarged,
and ran tests on his thyroid. ALL WITHIN NORMAL RANGE.

Okay, my problem: the cat still isn't eating very much. He seems a
little lethargic. Normall not a big issue but this cat used to eat a
lot and take, well, pretty big dumps for a cat. He hasn't now for a
week.

If all the blood comes back fine, and xrays show nothing, should I be
concerned?

one more thing, could be totally behavioral: my wife is pregnant. We
started to move around some furniture and put a crib together. On top
of that, the people who live upstairs from us just had a baby. I never
hear that baby, but maybe he can? Maybe he's nervous? He's never even
seen a baby so I don't know why he'd care.

Any thoughts?

I should also say that yeah, it sounds like my vets are grasping at
straws and doing a LOT of tests (we're $900 in already), but they are
the best vets in the bay area, and I pushed them to find a problem.

February 6th 06, 07:32 AM
I should also note that, well, he occasionally appears to be rather
sprightly.

ruled out in tests: blockage, heart disease, pancreatitis (although i
will double check on this). he had no fever.

I'm worried about megacolon; and the thyroid thing still worries me,
because though he was in normal range, the vet did say he felt that it
was enlarged; and said that the levels wane throughout the day, so just
because they did a draw, and it came back normal, it could have been
because they tested at a time when it was at it's lowest. however, he
isn't ravenous, which i take to be the main sign. my fear: it IS
hyperthyroid, and is masking kidney failure. Would even slight
hyperthyroid mask kidney failure like this? he hasn't had any other
renal failure symptoms.

sorry for sounding like a freak. I had a very ill cat (enlarged heart,
constant blockage problems) who we spent thousands of dollars on a year
ago, and put through what I feel may have been unnecessary work when
his prognosis wasn't good; because of that I think i'm a bit
traumatized where cat health is concerned, and overanalyze.

Joe Canuck
February 6th 06, 01:07 PM
Margarita Salt wrote:

> > wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>we have an 11 year old male. He's always been in perfect health. a
>>week ago he vomited up a full stomach's worth of food, cleaned it
>>up, though possibly it was because I'd switched him to science
>>diet senior hairball controll (he used to eat this, but a few
>>months ago, he ate something else because our friends gave us a
>>bag to try; he liked it, but it smelled bad, and when we bought
>>him his own food they were out of hairball control, so he eat a
>>whole bag of regular senior food). I thought maybe the food had
>>irritated him, and wanted him to eat, so I gave him canned food
>>the next day (wellness); vomited that up as well. took him to
>>emergency, concerned; they x rayed him because his abdomen seemed
>>tender; he looked constipated, so they gave him an enema. sent him
>>home.
>>
>>he didnt seem to go much from this enema, and he still wasn't
>>really wanting to eat (canned or dry food); so I took him in for a
>>follow up, the vet thought he might have an obstruction (there was
>>something slightly odd looking in the xrays, just a passage that
>>looked possibly a tad wider than normal), so she scheduled an
>>ultrasound, because he also seemed have a very slightly odd
>>heartbeat. all his bloodwork, btw, came back completely normal.
>>
>>Ultrasound: showed nothing. everything looked completely fine.
>>However, the vet also said he felt like the thyroid might be
>>slightly enlarged, and ran tests on his thyroid. ALL WITHIN NORMAL
>>RANGE.
>>
>>Okay, my problem: the cat still isn't eating very much. He seems a
>>little lethargic. Normall not a big issue but this cat used to eat
>>a lot and take, well, pretty big dumps for a cat. He hasn't now
>>for a week.
>>
>>If all the blood comes back fine, and xrays show nothing, should I
>>be concerned?
>>
>>one more thing, could be totally behavioral: my wife is pregnant.
>>We started to move around some furniture and put a crib together.
>>On top of that, the people who live upstairs from us just had a
>>baby. I never hear that baby, but maybe he can? Maybe he's
>>nervous? He's never even seen a baby so I don't know why he'd
>>care.
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>
>>I should also say that yeah, it sounds like my vets are grasping
>>at straws and doing a LOT of tests (we're $900 in already), but
>>they are the best vets in the bay area, and I pushed them to find
>>a problem.
>>

> Do you mean he hasn't "umped" or hasn't a usual? Cats are sensitive
> and it could because you're disrupting his environment, but its very
> hard to say.

Translation of the above: "I don't know anything about this."

> If he's okay as far as all the tests shot, it's a
> matter of TLC. Make sure he knows you still love him and he's still
> #1. You'll obviously be making baby #1, but if you get him used to
> the second fiddle position now, it won't be so hard later.
>
> I wish all cats could be as spoiled as Kami, but in a household,
> they needed to know their place and he could be asking exectly what
> his place his. Let him know! As long as he knows where he stanbds,
> and it's not outside the "pack," then he wshould be okayu. Give him
> a hug from me and Kami.

This from someone who says "I come here to avoid taking it out on Kami."

Sorry, but a declawed cat has not been spoiled.

February 7th 06, 06:16 PM
update: went over his bloodwork, xrays, and ultrasound readouts again
with the vet and he assured me that nothing is out of the normal range.
he did start eating again, the hill's I/D they'd recommended. He is
passing food again as well, though his stool is dark; I suppose it is
possible that he ate something that massively upset his stomach or
threw him into IBD, or something (he has always had a very sensitive
stomach, his entire life). But since the ultrasound showed no cause for
concern w/ his GI tract, kidneys, or pancreas, I'll wait and see.