PDA

View Full Version : Crazy cat acts like he is starving!!

CattGirlie via CatKB.com
February 7th 06, 02:03 AM
Hi,
I am a 3rd year vet student and have a behavioral question I can not answer!
I have 2 cats, Simon, 6 1/2 yrs and Velcro, 4 1/2 yrs, and both are on the
plump side. (Very large LONG cats anyways but 16 lb) So, they are on R/D and
was getting 1 cup per day but since they need to lose more weight and they
seem to have plateaued I am deresing them to 3/4 per day. They eat morning
and night.

The problem is when they were eating 1/3 cup per day I would give them 1/3 in
morning and 1/3 cup in evening and then save the last 1/3 for before bed
because Simon, he is my Maine Coone mix and a very big boy anyways, is also
exceptionally smart. He likes to wake me up early for breakfast around 5 am!!
Bescially he will start by purring loudly near my head, then he "brushes his
claws through my hair", then starts knocking items form small to large into
the grounc until I get up and feed him. If I ignore him, the craziness gets
worse and worse in intensity and since I'd rather just sleep, I would rather
just do what he wants and go back to sleep. This would be fine if it was just
that..... So, he gets me up for breakfast at 5 am then has dinner after
school in the evening but THEN needs ot wake me up around 2 am to have
"snack" which I safe the 1/3 cup for. I've tried giving him the 1/3 before I
go to bed but he still wants the snack!! So, since I don't want him eating
MORE than 1 cup/day since he is on a diet I give him part of the 1/3 cup
before bed and then a sprinkly of cat food at the 2 am time. UGH!!! I don't
know what to do because ignoring him doesn't stop the behavior and just makes
sleeping impossible (I have a studio apt here at school) Also, I want to
switch him to 3/4 a cup per day so I was thinking 1/4 am 1/4 evening and 1/4
before bed but if I feed even LESS will he act like he is starving even MORE??
????

Any ideas for me??? HELP!

NMR
February 7th 06, 02:18 AM
ok word of advice step back an look at this from the outside you have a
main coon that is 16 lbs and is acting badly becasue he can't get his way.
Well he has you trained well.

What has happened when you put one cup of food out in whole. Most cats can
free eat with now problem
If he eats it all at one time he will ealrn to pace himself.

What happens when you get up and put him out of the room.

Can you put him in another room when he mis beahaves. Walk away as a pet
owner and lover we forget that they are not humans a little tough love will
not hurt them and I am not talking about physical punishment.

Deal with this as you would a child misbehaving would you not make him
stand in the corner or tell him to go to his room

Maine Coons are creatures of habit and they train easily if they associate
the activity with something they want (they train humans easily too!).
http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

Second are you sure you are not under feeding your cat I thought maine
coons average over that weight.

Remember doctors are their own worse patient.

A full-grown female typically weighs between 9-12 pounds and males tend to
be in the 13 to 18 pound range.
http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

CattGirlie via CatKB.com
February 7th 06, 12:21 PM
>Can you put him in another room when he mis beahaves. Walk away as a pet
>owner and lover we forget that they are not humans a little tough love will
>not hurt them and I am not talking about physical punishment.>>

- No because I said I live in a studio apt

<What has happened when you put one cup of food out in whole. Most cats can
>free eat with now problem
>If he eats it all at one time he will ealrn to pace himself.>

-Since he is on a diet.....I thought the best way to satisfy his often eating
habits would be to give him small meals rather than the whole 3/4 at once
then he would REALLY meow all day (Well, he doesn't really "meow" persay but
he has this cooing thing that he does that sounds like he swallowed a pigeoon
(pretty cute actually). But his brother is ALSO on a diet and I wouldn't want
the 1 feeding to become a mad rush to see who can consume all the food and
who gets none!
I have both on diet since both are large and both have "fat pads" on their
abdomen. Simon is not grossly overweight - just big belly but he doesn't have
a fatty back or anything.
Velcro though has a large fat pad and is quite lazy at grooming (Maybe
because of his overweight-ness??) I have to constantly brush his medium hair
and can pull out clumps of dead hair he is not grooming away himself = (

Thanks for the advice!

NMR wrote:
>ok word of advice step back an look at this from the outside you have a
>main coon that is 16 lbs and is acting badly becasue he can't get his way.
>Well he has you trained well.
>
>What has happened when you put one cup of food out in whole. Most cats can
>free eat with now problem
>If he eats it all at one time he will ealrn to pace himself.
>
>What happens when you get up and put him out of the room.
>
>Can you put him in another room when he mis beahaves. Walk away as a pet
>owner and lover we forget that they are not humans a little tough love will
>not hurt them and I am not talking about physical punishment.
>
>Deal with this as you would a child misbehaving would you not make him
>stand in the corner or tell him to go to his room
>
>Maine Coons are creatures of habit and they train easily if they associate
>the activity with something they want (they train humans easily too!).
>http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html
>
>Second are you sure you are not under feeding your cat I thought maine
>coons average over that weight.
>
>Remember doctors are their own worse patient.
>
>A full-grown female typically weighs between 9-12 pounds and males tend to
>be in the 13 to 18 pound range.
>http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

Switch
February 7th 06, 12:48 PM
CattGirlie via CatKB.com wrote:

> -Since he is on a diet.....I thought the best way to satisfy his often eating

I free feed my two kids...I keep a little kibble out...
and I keep an eye on the wet food.

And after the wet food is gone (except for a few crumbs)

and say Im home? I will make them wait...you know...
(i might not be hungry...lol)

or I KNOW they are not hungry...I will wait...

but I always put out more than they can eat...
since they have never been "rationed"...they never eat everything on
the plate.
(WHAT? yeah...they have no fear of being hungry)

This is the truth...they eat slow, they eat in shifts...never at the
same time.
They share the same plate. I put out two cans last night, and half is
still there
and both have eaten = they are very laid back and have beautiful
figures!

I think you might be training them to eat what you give them...

see...somedays you require more food than others...you play hard so you
eat more.
somedays you are just not that hungry.

It's no different...DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME????!!! AM I MAKING MYSELF
CLEAR!!!???

Now we are not going to have a problem with this are weeeeee?

heh heh heh!

you cats crack me up!

just stuffem good a few times...don't let dey food run out...
they'll catch on soooo quick you will be amazed...they will save some
for later...
and later...

bottom line! you won't have to get up in the morning.

Both of my cats have never had to compete for food, the cat I had
before these two..he did have to compete. If I put a can out...he would
eat the whole thang. (most of it)
as soon as he was able, he would finish it. He did the same thing your
cat is doing.

He would stand up in the middle of the bed rubbing his belly, talkin
bout..fix me something to eat "bury" Im hongry! I'd throw
shoes...tantrums...kick and scream...nothing would stop him..but a full
belly. It was learned behavior

Rene S.
February 7th 06, 03:34 PM
Hello,

Your situation sounds all too familiar. I fed my cat (who was about 3
at the time) r/d for an entire year to lose weight with no treats, and
he lost a whopping one ounce. The entire time he meowed and begged for
food and seemed constantly hungry.

I got away from the prescription food and fed him an all-canned diet.
He lost 6 pounds (SLOWLY of course, over 9 months) and is doing great.
If you'd like more information, please email me directly. I'd be happy
to point you in the right direction.

Rene

SoundCat via CatKB.com
February 8th 06, 06:55 AM
I started feeding my cat, who was very overweight, R/D and it was awful. He
didn't lose much weight and eventually developed allergies to the food.

After the R/D failure, I put my cat on canned food and he started to lose
weight slowly, but steadily (he's taken off about 5lbs!). As I would decrease
the amount of food, I would supplement it with water. That helps him to feel
more full.

If you want to feed your cats "meals", it is important to put them on a
schedule. Feed them every twelve hours. Don't feed them in the morning
until you are about to walk out of the door to go to school. If you get up
from bed and go straight to feeding them, your cats will associate being fed
with you getting out of bed. We struggled with the same meowing, pawing at
our heads, knocking things of the dresser, and my personal favorite, clawing
at the blinds! Once we learned to stick to the schedule and to NEVER EVER
feed immediately after getting out of bed, that helped a lot. Even on
weekends, if I wake up and it is the cat's feeding time, I will wait a few
minutes and do something else before feeding him, so he doesn't make that
association of getting out of bed equals food.

It was probably a few weeks until we got settled into a schedule and the
morning wake-up calls for food stopped. It is hard to break old habits, but
it is well worth it to have a happier, healthier cat!

Good luck!