PDA

View Full Version : cat rant (when is it time to put a cat down?)

Glitter Ninja
February 8th 06, 10:14 PM
Several months ago Spam, my 14 year old, was peeing on the floor near
the catpans so we took him in for a checkup. He has early stage renal
failure and heart problems, is on a special diet and Atenolol for his
heart, and seems to be improved since starting the meds.
Since all the vet trips he occasionally poops in the living room.
During the day when we're up, he goes in the pan as normal without
problems, but overnight he'll poop in the living room and we don't know
why. It's every few days lately, and last night, he apparently peed,
too.
The vet suggested he might be senile, otherwise didn't really know.
I've got a call into the vet again to ask, but I feel like I keep asking
them and they just never have any idea what to do. He's just old, is
the answer.
The thing is, Spam's old, he's inactive, in failing health, and
while he likes to be pet he doesn't ever do anything else. We've spent
a LOT of money on tests and I can't help but think maybe it's just his
time to go.
But putting a cat down because he poops in the living room and costs a
lot is such a crappy thing to do, and unless I know he's suffering then
I would feel like I just put him down because he's inconvenient. I've
asked the vet and she was noncommittal, which I understand, but I could
really use some guidance here.
I just wish I knew what to do.

Stacia

Glitter Ninja
February 8th 06, 10:43 PM
Well, the vet's assistant called and said bring Spam in, they'll do
more tests (the last tests were about 4 weeks ago). What the hell?
They've done so many tests it's not funny, and I don't know what a new
round of the same tests will accomplish. It's not even different tests.
So I made an appointment but I'm really frustrated.

Stacia
--
"Seriously, does anyone want to "surrender to evil"? 'Cause Bush sez that's
not an option." -- The Rude Pundit, http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

February 8th 06, 10:49 PM
(Glitter Ninja) wrote:

> Several months ago Spam, my 14 year old, was peeing on the floor near
>the catpans so we took him in for a checkup. He has early stage renal
>failure and heart problems, is on a special diet and Atenolol for his
>heart, and seems to be improved since starting the meds.
> Since all the vet trips he occasionally poops in the living room.
>During the day when we're up, he goes in the pan as normal without
>problems, but overnight he'll poop in the living room and we don't know
>why. It's every few days lately, and last night, he apparently peed,
>too.
> The vet suggested he might be senile, otherwise didn't really know.
>I've got a call into the vet again to ask, but I feel like I keep asking
>them and they just never have any idea what to do. He's just old, is
>the answer.
> The thing is, Spam's old, he's inactive, in failing health, and
>while he likes to be pet he doesn't ever do anything else. We've spent
>a LOT of money on tests and I can't help but think maybe it's just his
>time to go.
> But putting a cat down because he poops in the living room and costs a
>lot is such a crappy thing to do, and unless I know he's suffering then
>I would feel like I just put him down because he's inconvenient. I've
>asked the vet and she was noncommittal, which I understand, but I could
>really use some guidance here.
> I just wish I knew what to do.
>
>Stacia

Could you reduce his free roaming territory at night to a room or area
of the house that also has a litter box or even two available for him?
-mhd

Rene S.
February 8th 06, 10:51 PM
My parents recently lost their cat of 19 years. Berries started
urinating outside of her litterbox about a year before her passing,
and bloodwork, etc. and everything turned up normal (for her age).
Eventually, she was diagnosed with Feline Cognitive Disorder (similar
to human Alzheimers) and their vet put her on an anti-anxiety med
(sorry, don't remember the drug). It helped her a lot. She would
sometimes have an accident, but it was overall much improved.

Since your vet mentioned "senile," I would definately ask about this.

February 8th 06, 11:40 PM
I don't think 14 is all that old. My last kitty was 20 years and 3
months. Now he started having those types of problems at the very end
of his life. The vet said that he had become jaundiced and was loosing
control of his hindquarters. Something could be done about a kitty
that is only 14, I would think. Make sure they are doing liver tests
and thyroid also.

You will definitely know when it is time to do the right thing. You
won't be guessing about it. You may have another 5 years left with this
one. Hang in there and press the vet to do the right tests.
Sharon

February 9th 06, 12:23 AM
Glitter Ninja wrote:
> Several months ago Spam, my 14 year old, was peeing on the floor near
> the catpans so we took him in for a checkup.
<snip>

Google "Renee B." and "Cleo" on alt.cats and you will see the saga that
Renee went through with her aging cat, Cleo. She eventually had to
euthanize her because nothing was helping and the situation just got
too much to bear. There are a number of good suggestions in those
threads as to what to try.

Best of luck to you.

-L.

Glitter Ninja
February 9th 06, 02:24 AM
"Rene S." > writes:

>My parents recently lost their cat of 19 years. Berries started
>urinating outside of her litterbox about a year before her passing,
>and bloodwork, etc. and everything turned up normal (for her age).
>Eventually, she was diagnosed with Feline Cognitive Disorder (similar
>to human Alzheimers) and their vet put her on an anti-anxiety med

Thanks for the info on this. I'll definitely mention it. I assumed
there were no meds for senility or senility-type disorders, or else the
vet would have suggested something.

Stacia

Glitter Ninja
February 9th 06, 02:27 AM
writes:

>I don't think 14 is all that old. My last kitty was 20 years and 3
>months. Now he started having those types of problems at the very end
>of his life. The vet said that he had become jaundiced and was loosing
>control of his hindquarters. Something could be done about a kitty
>that is only 14, I would think. Make sure they are doing liver tests
>and thyroid also.

They did do thyroid already. I think liver, too -- there was a spot
on his liver that they examined but maybe it was just an ultrasound test
and not bloodwork. I'll double check on that.
Spam's hindquarters tremble a lot due to cerebellar hypoplasia, so for
years when he shakes while using the catpans, he sometimes jumps out and
finishes going on the floor. When he shakes he sinks into the pans like
quicksand and gets spooked ;) I think it's kind of cute, but he
undoubtedly doesn't enjoy it.
Anyhow, he's not yet arthritic and there's no reason he should be
going in the living room, at least no reason we can tell. Since I've
caught him at it twice, he seems to deliberately go in and poop,
sometimes just moments after peeing in his catpan. I wish cats could
talk human so I knew what was going on!

Stacia

Judy
February 9th 06, 06:02 AM
"Glitter Ninja" > wrote in message
> Several months ago Spam, my 14 year old, was peeing on the floor near
> the catpans so we took him in for a checkup. He has early stage renal
> failure and heart problems, is on a special diet and Atenolol for his
> heart, and seems to be improved since starting the meds.
> Since all the vet trips he occasionally poops in the living room.
> During the day when we're up, he goes in the pan as normal without
> problems, but overnight he'll poop in the living room and we don't know
> why. It's every few days lately, and last night, he apparently peed,
> too.
> The vet suggested he might be senile, otherwise didn't really know.
> I've got a call into the vet again to ask, but I feel like I keep asking
> them and they just never have any idea what to do. He's just old, is
> the answer.
> The thing is, Spam's old, he's inactive, in failing health, and
> while he likes to be pet he doesn't ever do anything else. We've spent
> a LOT of money on tests and I can't help but think maybe it's just his
> time to go.
> But putting a cat down because he poops in the living room and costs a
> lot is such a crappy thing to do, and unless I know he's suffering then
> I would feel like I just put him down because he's inconvenient. I've
> asked the vet and she was noncommittal, which I understand, but I could
> really use some guidance here.
> I just wish I knew what to do.
>
> Stacia

Put yourself in his shoes and perhaps the answer will come.

My mom died on Jan. 6. Four years ago about this time I called her to let
her know that I had to say "goodbye" to my horse Fred who had been with me
for 28 years. She asked for the details and after I told her she said, "I
wish someone would do this for me."

Prolonging his life may not be in his best interest.

My heart goes out to you Stacia.

Judy

Rhonda
February 9th 06, 06:51 AM
Glitter Ninja wrote:

> Spam's hindquarters tremble a lot due to cerebellar hypoplasia, so for
> years when he shakes while using the catpans, he sometimes jumps out and
> finishes going on the floor.

Since that is a neurological problem, could that be getting worse as he
ages?

I'm sure what you are going through is frustrating, but be careful about
making any big decisions while you know you are frustrated.

My first thought was to keep him in one room at night -- a spare
bedroom? Somewhere he is comfortable, maybe even a cat bed and a litter
box in the bathroom.

I hope the vet has more ideas.

Rhonda

Wendy
February 9th 06, 02:22 PM
"Glitter Ninja" > wrote in message
> Several months ago Spam, my 14 year old, was peeing on the floor near
> the catpans so we took him in for a checkup. He has early stage renal
> failure and heart problems, is on a special diet and Atenolol for his
> heart, and seems to be improved since starting the meds.
> Since all the vet trips he occasionally poops in the living room.
> During the day when we're up, he goes in the pan as normal without
> problems, but overnight he'll poop in the living room and we don't know
> why. It's every few days lately, and last night, he apparently peed,
> too.
> The vet suggested he might be senile, otherwise didn't really know.
> I've got a call into the vet again to ask, but I feel like I keep asking
> them and they just never have any idea what to do. He's just old, is
> the answer.
> The thing is, Spam's old, he's inactive, in failing health, and
> while he likes to be pet he doesn't ever do anything else. We've spent
> a LOT of money on tests and I can't help but think maybe it's just his
> time to go.
> But putting a cat down because he poops in the living room and costs a
> lot is such a crappy thing to do, and unless I know he's suffering then
> I would feel like I just put him down because he's inconvenient. I've
> asked the vet and she was noncommittal, which I understand, but I could
> really use some guidance here.
> I just wish I knew what to do.
>
> Stacia

I think what jumped out at me was he likes to be pet but doesn't do anything
else. It's time to take a look at how good his life really is and if there
is anything to do to improve it. If the vet or a 2nd opinion have no
suggestions to improve his lot in life, try confining him in a smaller area
(and easily cleaned area) overnight and see if that helps. If he's still
going outside the box or is miserable being confined then you need to make a
judgment call. Is his life good enough for him or is he trying to tell you
something? I don't know the answer. My recommendation is that if he's still
himself then give him more time. If his personality is getting lost in the
illness then maybe the end is approaching unless help can be found for his
symptoms.

Glitter Ninja
February 10th 06, 12:50 AM
"Judy" > writes:

>My mom died on Jan. 6.

I'm sorry to hear that. My mom died after a lengthy illness about 8
months ago, so I know how you feel.
I've got a vet appt for Monday. I'm worried because Spam doesn't have
the appetite he had a few days ago, but none of the cats do, so I hope
it's just the stress of the new place. He was doing so well the first
day we moved...

Stacia

Arubalisa
February 11th 06, 05:07 PM
One of our boys was Dx with CRF on Dec.3.

Blood test #1 end of November
Blood test #2 January 6
Blood test #3 first week of March

All the same test...