PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur

jmc
February 10th 06, 04:26 PM
I've just come back from the vet. He says Meep has a heart murmur.
It's a bit odd, he didn't tell me in the examining room but as I was
checking out, "did you know Meep has a murmur?". He didn't give me a
grading or anything, and I didn't know to ask until now, when I've been
googling for info.

I'd taken her in not for any particular health issues, but because we're
going overseas soon and due to where we're going, she'll be in a kennel
then in quarantine for over two months. This is going to be highly
stressful enough, but she's nearing 10 years old and has cystitis.

Vet was unable to get a urine sample from her... and I've given up
trying here, whenever I put the pearls in her box, she pees mostly
outside of it. Bah!

So next week, bloodwork, urine sample and ultrasound. Poor kitty.

jmc

J. dvm
February 10th 06, 04:53 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> I've just come back from the vet. He says Meep has a heart murmur. It's a
> bit odd, he didn't tell me in the examining room but as I was checking
> out, "did you know Meep has a murmur?". He didn't give me a grading or
> anything, and I didn't know to ask until now, when I've been googling for
> info.
>
> I'd taken her in not for any particular health issues, but because we're
> going overseas soon and due to where we're going, she'll be in a kennel
> then in quarantine for over two months.

If the quarantine is for traveling to the UK you should do some research on
the pet travel scheme. It is a means to bypass the 2 month quarantine.
It's fairly complicated and every step has to be done perfectly. Its up to
you to ensure all the tests and procedures are done appropriately. For
example if you run the wrong type of rabies titre at the wrong time then
quarantine will still be required. Here is a page to start from:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

This is going to be highly
> stressful enough, but she's nearing 10 years old and has cystitis.
>
> Vet was unable to get a urine sample from her... and I've given up trying
> here, whenever I put the pearls in her box, she pees mostly outside of it.
> Bah!
>
> So next week, bloodwork, urine sample and ultrasound. Poor kitty.

Good, that's what needs to be done to work up the cystitis and the heart
murmur. Be sure she has her thyroid level tested and her urine cultured.

> jmc

jmc
February 10th 06, 06:11 PM
Nope, been there, done that. We're here in the UK now, going off to
somewhere else.

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, J. dvm exclaimed (10-Feb-06 3:53 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> I've just come back from the vet. He says Meep has a heart murmur. It's a
>> bit odd, he didn't tell me in the examining room but as I was checking
>> out, "did you know Meep has a murmur?". He didn't give me a grading or
>> anything, and I didn't know to ask until now, when I've been googling for
>> info.
>>
>> I'd taken her in not for any particular health issues, but because we're
>> going overseas soon and due to where we're going, she'll be in a kennel
>> then in quarantine for over two months.
>
> If the quarantine is for traveling to the UK you should do some research on
> the pet travel scheme. It is a means to bypass the 2 month quarantine.
> It's fairly complicated and every step has to be done perfectly. Its up to
> you to ensure all the tests and procedures are done appropriately. For
> example if you run the wrong type of rabies titre at the wrong time then
> quarantine will still be required. Here is a page to start from:
> http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm
>

> This is going to be highly
>> stressful enough, but she's nearing 10 years old and has cystitis.
>>
>> Vet was unable to get a urine sample from her... and I've given up trying
>> here, whenever I put the pearls in her box, she pees mostly outside of it.
>> Bah!
>>
>> So next week, bloodwork, urine sample and ultrasound. Poor kitty.
>>

> Good, that's what needs to be done to work up the cystitis and the heart
> murmur. Be sure she has her thyroid level tested and her urine cultured.
>

>> jmc

February 13th 06, 12:02 PM
had to get sample from a stuborn goat used sheet of construction
plastic and be creative. ya we had some laughs after the shower. glad
it wasn' t a horse.