PDA

View Full Version : Update on Spam (the cat not the emails)

Glitter Ninja
February 10th 06, 08:13 PM
As I posted in my rant a few days ago, Spam had been pooping in the
living room. So today I caught the entire production and I think he's
constipated.
Spam peed in his pan, and pooped a little tiny bit before coming back
to his favorite chair. After five minutes he hopped down and headed for
the spot on the carpet where he poops. I grabbed him, turned him around
towards the cat pans, and he went right to his pans instead.
Weird! So do you think he is confused? ;) I suppose he could be
pooping on the floor in an effort to say, hey, I'm constipated.
He's eaten just fine. I caught him at his kibble and water 5 times
yesterday but he only pooped twice in the last 4 days, so I'm thinking
he's having to strain, which ads to the problem.
Is this definitely still something to see a vet for? Or should I try
treating the constipation and waiting to see? He's not any worse than
he was before he started pooping in the living room. He hasn't played
or moved around much for about a year, which is why I worried he doesn't
have a good quality of life, but when comparing Spam today to Spam a
month ago, he's the same. Just... confused, I guess.
Thanks for all your advice, guys. It's nice to have others who have
cats to talk to about these things.

Stacia

NMR
February 10th 06, 09:23 PM
"Margarita Salt" > wrote in message
> Glitter Ninja > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>> As I posted in my rant a few days ago, Spam had been pooping in
>> the
>> living room. So today I caught the entire production and I think
>> he's constipated.
>> Spam peed in his pan, and pooped a little tiny bit before coming
>> back
>> to his favorite chair. After five minutes he hopped down and
>> headed for the spot on the carpet where he poops. I grabbed him,
>> turned him around towards the cat pans, and he went right to his
>> pans instead.
>> Weird! So do you think he is confused? ;) I suppose he could
>> be
>> pooping on the floor in an effort to say, hey, I'm constipated.
>> He's eaten just fine. I caught him at his kibble and water 5
>> times
>> yesterday but he only pooped twice in the last 4 days, so I'm
>> thinking he's having to strain, which ads to the problem.
>> Is this definitely still something to see a vet for? Or should
>> I try
>> treating the constipation and waiting to see? He's not any worse
>> than he was before he started pooping in the living room. He
>> hasn't played or moved around much for about a year, which is why
>> I worried he doesn't have a good quality of life, but when
>> comparing Spam today to Spam a month ago, he's the same. Just...
>> confused, I guess.
>> Thanks for all your advice, guys. It's nice to have others who
>> have
>> cats to talk to about these things.
>>
>> Stacia

have the vet check for roundworms they can cause diarrhea, constipation,
bring in a fecal sample when you go

a little reading for you
http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/felconstip.html
http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?specie=Cats&story_no=1562#ct-7
http://www.fabcats.org/constipation.html
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-catintest.htm
http://www.catclinicofroswell.com/medicalhandouts/detail.aspx?handoutid=5

Glitter Ninja
February 10th 06, 10:02 PM
Margarita Salt > writes:

>Now that's interesting. I guess when you're constipated and then feel
>like you're finally going to go, you go where you stand (if you're a
>cat, of course). going outside the box is supposed to be a way to get
>your attention. I suggest the pumpkin approach to constipation to see
>if that's really the problem. (Kami won't eat pumpkin, but she will
>eat Vaseline with the same... um... outcome...)

Spam will eat Vaseline, too, but most of my cats will. They're all
insane.
The links elsewhere in this thread were interesting. Now I wonder if
it's really constipation because his stools (once he finally went) were
soft and numerous ;) He's drank plenty, 5 times yesterday and 3 times
today already. I'm thinking I might forgo Monday's appointment and wait
for the regularly scheduled follow-up in a couple weeks. Spam hates vet
trips and I have to admit, I am running out of money, I've already spent
$1,200 on Spam alone. (I know, don't get a cat unless you can afford
it, but Spam and Reggie's vet bills have cost over $2,000 in the last
few months and I just wasn't prepared for that kind of expense.)
All the kitties are napping right now. They are so adorable when
asleep.

Stacia

Joe Canuck
February 10th 06, 11:50 PM
Margarita Salt wrote:
> Glitter Ninja > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>> Margarita Salt > writes:
>>
>>> Now that's interesting. I guess when you're constipated and then
>>> feel like you're finally going to go, you go where you stand (if
>>> you're a cat, of course). going outside the box is supposed to be
>>> a way to get your attention. I suggest the pumpkin approach to
>>> constipation to see if that's really the problem. (Kami won't eat
>>> pumpkin, but she will eat Vaseline with the same... um...
>>> outcome...)
>> Spam will eat Vaseline, too, but most of my cats will. They're
>> all
>> insane.
>> The links elsewhere in this thread were interesting. Now I
>> wonder if
>> it's really constipation because his stools (once he finally went)
>> were soft and numerous ;) He's drank plenty, 5 times yesterday and
>> 3 times today already. I'm thinking I might forgo Monday's
>> appointment and wait for the regularly scheduled follow-up in a
>> couple weeks. Spam hates vet trips and I have to admit, I am
>> running out of money, I've already spent $1,200 on Spam alone. (I
>> know, don't get a cat unless you can afford it, but Spam and
>> Reggie's vet bills have cost over $2,000 in the last few months
>> and I just wasn't prepared for that kind of expense.)
>> All the kitties are napping right now. They are so adorable
>> when
>> asleep.
>>
>> Stacia
>>

> I feel your pain on the vet bills. I've saving for the down payment on
> a house and Kami has other plans. LOL!

....and you think it is funny that Kami is sick?!?!

<groan>

Glitter Ninja
February 11th 06, 12:52 AM
Joe Canuck > writes:
>Margarita Salt wrote:
>> Glitter Ninja > wrote:

>>> know, don't get a cat unless you can afford it, but Spam and
>>> Reggie's vet bills have cost over $2,000 in the last few months
>>> and I just wasn't prepared for that kind of expense.)
>>
>> I feel your pain on the vet bills. I've saving for the down payment on
>> a house and Kami has other plans. LOL!

We just bought a house and I did get a small bit of money from an
inheritance, which has helped, but it's running out. Timing is never
good for anything like this, is it? I suppose I should be lucky we have
money instead of running up credit card bills, but if I have to, I will
run up debt for the kitties.

>...and you think it is funny that Kami is sick?!?!

><groan>

I don't think it's funny ha ha that Brandi means, Joe. More like,
funny ironic. The kind of laugh you do instead of moping about the
situation.

Stacia

Joe Canuck
February 11th 06, 02:23 AM
Margarita Salt wrote:
> Glitter Ninja > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>> Joe Canuck > writes:
>> We just bought a house and I did get a small bit of money from
>> an
>> inheritance, which has helped, but it's running out. Timing is
>> never good for anything like this, is it? I suppose I should be
>> lucky we have money instead of running up credit card bills, but
>> if I have to, I will run up debt for the kitties.
>>
>>> ...and you think it is funny that Kami is sick?!?!
>>> <groan>
>> I don't think it's funny ha ha that Brandi means, Joe. More
>> like,
>> funny ironic. The kind of laugh you do instead of moping about
>> the situation.
>>
>> Stacia
>>

> He knows that. He just likes to disrupt as many threads as possible so
> no one gets any benefit from the group. ;)

I'm not certain how your saving for a down payment has any benefit to
the group. :-D

> Congrats on the house. I have my eye on a few, but have been looking
> for one with the master downstairs so Kami doesn't have to climb.
> Okay, is it odd to plan such a major purchase around your cat who won't
> be around but a few more years? (knock wood)

mlbriggs
February 11th 06, 07:14 AM
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:52:02 +0000, Margarita Salt wrote:

> Glitter Ninja > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>> As I posted in my rant a few days ago, Spam had been pooping in
>> the
>> living room. So today I caught the entire production and I think
>> he's constipated.
>> Spam peed in his pan, and pooped a little tiny bit before coming
>> back
>> to his favorite chair. After five minutes he hopped down and
>> headed for the spot on the carpet where he poops. I grabbed him,
>> turned him around towards the cat pans, and he went right to his
>> pans instead.
>> Weird! So do you think he is confused? ;) I suppose he could
>> be
>> pooping on the floor in an effort to say, hey, I'm constipated.
>> He's eaten just fine. I caught him at his kibble and water 5
>> times
>> yesterday but he only pooped twice in the last 4 days, so I'm
>> thinking he's having to strain, which ads to the problem.
>> Is this definitely still something to see a vet for? Or should
>> I try
>> treating the constipation and waiting to see? He's not any worse
>> than he was before he started pooping in the living room. He
>> hasn't played or moved around much for about a year, which is why
>> I worried he doesn't have a good quality of life, but when
>> comparing Spam today to Spam a month ago, he's the same. Just...
>> confused, I guess.
>> Thanks for all your advice, guys. It's nice to have others who
>> have
>> cats to talk to about these things.
>>
>> Stacia
>>

> Now that's interesting. I guess when you're constipated and then feel
> like you're finally going to go, you go where you stand (if you're a
> cat, of course). going outside the box is supposed to be a way to get
> your attention. I suggest the pumpkin approach to constipation to see
> if that's really the problem. (Kami won't eat pumpkin, but she will
> eat Vaseline with the same... um... outcome...)

Have you tried Iams kibble with hairball remedy? I give my cat one
small serving of this daily and she is "regular". MLB

Ryan Robbins
February 11th 06, 12:59 PM
"Glitter Ninja" > wrote in message
> As I posted in my rant a few days ago, Spam had been pooping in the
> living room. So today I caught the entire production and I think he's
> constipated.

My cat rarely poops in her pan anymore. She does it in the neighborhood
instead. And she has constipation, a complication of her chronic renal
failure. Talk with your vet about giving your cat some Metamucil or One-Pie
pumpkin. If your cat is 7 or older and has yet to have one, it would be a
good idea to have the vet run a full blood screen, in case renal failure is
the underlying cause. Renal failure can be managed.

Arubalisa
February 11th 06, 05:38 PM
FWIW, 2 of our 5 boys poop outside the litterboxs only when they are
constipated.

Glitter Ninja
February 13th 06, 04:47 AM
"Ryan Robbins" > writes:

>My cat rarely poops in her pan anymore. She does it in the neighborhood
>instead. And she has constipation, a complication of her chronic renal
>failure. Talk with your vet about giving your cat some Metamucil or One-Pie
>pumpkin. If your cat is 7 or older and has yet to have one, it would be a
>good idea to have the vet run a full blood screen, in case renal failure is
>the underlying cause. Renal failure can be managed.

Yeah, Spam does have renal failure. It's in the early stages and he's
on Eukanuba Multi Stage Renal kibble for it. I've been watching his
water input carefully and he's drinking as normal. I asked the vet
about hairball remedy and she said to give him a little (too much causes
problems, I guess) and he's pooped twice since then, so I'm very
relieved. Both times in or near his box, too, and not in the living
room. He's cheered up as well.
I was worried because his urine was diluted but the vet said that was
normal for renal failure.

Stacia