PDA

View Full Version : Cosimo is one sick cat

February 14th 06, 12:20 AM
First, I got the news that at 24 lbs. he is morbidly obese.

The leg splaying is probably because of the UTI but that's been
resolved.

Still awaiting test results to see if there's any kidney or liver
damage.

On top of that he's arthritic in his left hip and right rear knee.

And if the tests are good and we don't have to put him down, he's going
on a crash diet.

So lets hope he makes it through this one. He's only eight years old.

He's my first cat that had a weight problem. The other two cats are
within normal weight range. So now they'll all have to get used to the
fact that there'll be no more free-feeding.

February 14th 06, 01:35 AM
I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!

My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.

Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.

Cheryl Sellner
February 14th 06, 01:54 AM
On Mon 13 Feb 2006 08:35:22p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

> Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic
> cat who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.

Did you run him up and down the stairs on that sparse diet? Domestic
cats don't have the liver to withstand that kind of diet. In fact,
some argue that 2 meals per day are even good for domestic cats. The
diet in the wild is mice and even bugs, and several times per day.

--
Cheryl

February 14th 06, 02:02 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
> kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!
>
> My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
> normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
> steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.
>
> Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
> who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.

But interestingly before I got Cosimo the other two cats free fed
without any issues. Randy and Emily are 11 lbs. and 6.5 lbs. each.

Charlie Wilkes
February 14th 06, 11:36 AM
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:02:33 -0500, T >
wrote:

>In article . com>,
says...
>> I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
>> kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!
>>
>> My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
>> normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
>> steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.
>>
>> Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
>> who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.
>>

>But interestingly before I got Cosimo the other two cats free fed
>without any issues. Randy and Emily are 11 lbs. and 6.5 lbs. each.

Cosimo's condition sounds grim, with the arthritis and all. It makes
me think of those fat people you see in the junk food aisle at
WalMart, with a powered shopping cart and an oxygen tube. Sad.

I hope Cosimo can get a grip and turn his life around.

Charlie

Rene S.
February 14th 06, 02:04 PM
Do NOT put him on a crash diet. He'll end up with serious health
problems. I reduced my Tucker's weight by 6 pounds very slowly by
giving him canned food twice per day. For his story, visit his web
page:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

Janna via CatKB.com
February 14th 06, 05:23 PM
>And if the tests are good and we don't have to put him down, he's going
>on a crash diet.

This is just an expression, right? I'm sure your vet has let you know that
cats cannot go on crash diets. If he didn't take in enough calories and lost
weight very quickly, the fat would go straight to his liver and cause hepatic
lipidosis (fatty liver disease). Very real possibility for a 24 pound cat.
You have to go *very* slowly. If done correctly, weight will not drop off
too quickly. I hope you are doing this with vet supervision.

Janna

February 14th 06, 11:25 PM
In article >,
says...
> In article . com>,
> says...
> > I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
> > kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!
> >
> > My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
> > normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
> > steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.
> >
> > Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
> > who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.
> >

> But interestingly before I got Cosimo the other two cats free fed
> without any issues. Randy and Emily are 11 lbs. and 6.5 lbs. each.

An update. When the lab results came back it became clear that the best
choice was to euthanize. So I held him as he drifted to sleep from the
sedatives and that was the end.

Goodbye Cosimo.

February 14th 06, 11:26 PM
In article . net>,
says...
> In article >,
> T > wrote:
>
> > n article . com>,
> > says...
> > > I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
> > > kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!
> > >
> > > My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
> > > normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
> > > steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.
> > >
> > > Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
> > > who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.
> > >

> > But interestingly before I got Cosimo the other two cats free fed
> > without any issues. Randy and Emily are 11 lbs. and 6.5 lbs. each.
>
> As my veterinarian says, like people, some cats are naturally prone to
> obesity.

That's what the vet was telling me too. Of course I kind of knew what
the outcome would be. So now I'm minus one cat and $750 poorer. I'm at
least glad he was made comfortable before the end.

February 14th 06, 11:27 PM
> >And if the tests are good and we don't have to put him down, he's going
> >on a crash diet.
>
> This is just an expression, right? I'm sure your vet has let you know that
> cats cannot go on crash diets. If he didn't take in enough calories and lost
> weight very quickly, the fat would go straight to his liver and cause hepatic
> lipidosis (fatty liver disease). Very real possibility for a 24 pound cat.
> You have to go *very* slowly. If done correctly, weight will not drop off
> too quickly. I hope you are doing this with vet supervision.
>

> Janna

Yes, it was just an expression and it doesn't matter now anyhow.

blkcatgal
February 15th 06, 12:10 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

S.
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>> In article . com>,
>> says...
>> > I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
>> > kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!
>> >
>> > My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
>> > normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
>> > steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.
>> >
>> > Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
>> > who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.
>> >

>> But interestingly before I got Cosimo the other two cats free fed
>> without any issues. Randy and Emily are 11 lbs. and 6.5 lbs. each.
>>

> An update. When the lab results came back it became clear that the best
> choice was to euthanize. So I held him as he drifted to sleep from the
> sedatives and that was the end.
>
> Goodbye Cosimo.

February 15th 06, 12:47 AM
In article >,
says...
> I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you very much. Here's a little story though.

As I left the building that the vet was in I was a little disoriented
and what did I happen to walk by? The Providence Animal Rescue Leauge.
It's across the street from the back side of the building I was coming
from. Until this time I hadn't realized it was exactly 1 mile from my
place.

Probably a sign from Cosimo saying he wouldn't mind if I adopted another
kitten.

mlbriggs
February 15th 06, 01:44 AM
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:25:45 -0500, T wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>> In article . com>,
>> says...
>> > I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
>> > kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!
>> >
>> > My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
>> > normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
>> > steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.
>> >
>> > Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
>> > who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.
>> >

>> But interestingly before I got Cosimo the other two cats free fed
>> without any issues. Randy and Emily are 11 lbs. and 6.5 lbs. each.
>>

> An update. When the lab results came back it became clear that the best
> choice was to euthanize. So I held him as he drifted to sleep from the
> sedatives and that was the end.
>
> Goodbye Cosimo.

"Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go,,,"
MLB

Candace
February 15th 06, 03:44 AM
T wrote:

> An update. When the lab results came back it became clear that the best
> choice was to euthanize. So I held him as he drifted to sleep from the
> sedatives and that was the end.
>
> Goodbye Cosimo.

I'm really very sorry about Cosimo. I'm sure he knew he was loved.

Candace