PDA

View Full Version : How long can you keep opened canned food?


AlexZ
February 15th 06, 12:04 AM
How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:

1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?

Thanks.

John Doe
February 15th 06, 12:31 AM
AlexZ > wrote:

> How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:

Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

>
> 1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
> 2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
> 3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?

For what it's worth, this is how I currently do it.

.... tear off a few inches of aluminum foil

.... from that, tear off one third or one half, enough to cover the
can top, and put the rest aside for the next time

.... clean the can with a quarter paper towel and rubbing alcohol
unless the can comes from a package

.... open the can and feed some to your beloved feline

.... cover the can with the aluminum foil pressing it over the sides
to make a tight fit

.... put it in the refrigerator

.... next time, you can either use the same aluminum foil or replace
it

Good luck.

Switch
February 15th 06, 12:42 AM
John Doe wrote:
> AlexZ > wrote:
>
> > How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>
> Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

> Good luck.

this is coming from the laziest man (if you are in fact male)
God ever let breathe

Wow! you got a nerve

maybe you are a reptilian

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 12:51 AM
John Doe > wrote:

: > How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
: Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long. :)

: ... tear off a few inches of aluminum foil

I use plastic lids I bought from petsmart/petco, they fit tightly.
However, Al foil should work too.

John Doe
February 15th 06, 12:53 AM
nym shifting troll

See also:
"Magic Mood JeepŠ" <buttercupstickysweet yahoo.com>
"-L." <bigbadbarry adelphia.net>
"a christmas tree"
"abRokeNegRo"
"bag-o-switches"
"bigbadbarry"
"black-ip"
"chickenwing"
"coffeedog"
"hamandche betweentheknees.com"
"Jew"
"johndoeisadick"
"Levon"
"Mr Tibbs"
"NMR"
"Patches"
"Prozack"
"Resistance"
"Shalom"
"Switch"
"Themselves"
"wannabe"
"watermelon"
"whitershadeofpale"
"yo"

"Switch" <bigbadbarry adelphia.net> wrote:

> Path: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy. com!newsdbm04.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prod igy.com!newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!ne wscon06.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!news-feed01.roc.ny.frontiernet.net!nntp.frontiernet.net !news.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!g14g2000cwa.go oglegroups.com!not-for-mail
> From: "Switch" <bigbadbarry adelphia.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: How long can you keep opened canned food?
> Date: 14 Feb 2006 15:42:43 -0800
> Organization: http://groups.google.com
> Lines: 17
> Message-ID: <1139960563.212774.189760 g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
> References: <140220061705052643%alexz no.spam> <Xns976AB24EAC552follydom 207.115.17.102>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: 70.110.122.37
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> X-Trace: posting.google.com 1139960574 19073 127.0.0.1 (14 Feb 2006 23:42:54 GMT)
> X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse google.com
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:42:54 +0000 (UTC)
> In-Reply-To: <Xns976AB24EAC552follydom 207.115.17.102>
> User-Agent: G2/0.2
> X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
> Complaints-To: groups-abuse google.com
> Injection-Info: g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com; posting-host=70.110.122.37; posting-account=spjB1A0AAABQAQQ5dkg3_gZwONU3us3k
> Xref: prodigy.net alt.cats:214226 alt.pets.cats:40022 rec.pets.cats.health+behav:423746
>
>
> John Doe wrote:
>> AlexZ <alexz no.spam> wrote:
>>
>> > How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>>
>> Less than the time it takes to smell bad?
>
>> Good luck.
>
> this is coming from the laziest man (if you are in fact male)
> God ever let breathe
>
> Wow! you got a nerve
>
> maybe you are a reptilian
>
>
>

John Doe
February 15th 06, 01:03 AM
Okay then, wait less than less than the time it takes to smell bad.

What is your question?


AlexZ <alexz no.spam> wrote:

> Path: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy. com!newsdbm03.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prod igy.com!newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!po stmaster.news.prodigy.com!newssvr14.news.prodigy.c om.POSTED!d4dd2c04!not-for-mail
> Subject: Re: How long can you keep opened canned food?
> From: AlexZ <alexz no.spam>
> Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Reply-To: Newsgroup
> Message-ID: <140220061752152462%alexz no.spam>
> References: <140220061705052643%alexz no.spam> <Xns976AB24EAC552follydom 207.115.17.102>
> Organization: None
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
> Mail-Copies-To: nobody
> User-Agent: Thoth/1.7.2 (Carbon/OS X)
> Lines: 11
> NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.72.162.151
> X-Complaints-To: abuse prodigy.net
> X-Trace: newssvr14.news.prodigy.com 1139961119 ST000 68.72.162.151 (Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:51:59 EST)
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:51:59 EST
> X-UserInfo1: SCSGW^_D\BU[C_LXXJJL_RTDFZ\ FXLM TDOCQDJ _ FNTCCNSKQFCY TXDX_WHSVB]ZEJLSNY\^J[CUVSA_QLFC^RQHUPH[P[NRWCCMLSNPOD_ESALHUK TDFUZHBLJ\XGKL^NXA\EVHSP[D_C^B_^JCX^W]CHBAX]POG SSAZQ\LE[DCNMUPG_VSC VJM
> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:51:59 GMT
> Xref: prodigy.net alt.cats:214228 alt.pets.cats:40023 rec.pets.cats.health+behav:423747
>
> John Doe <jdoe usenet.love.invalid> wrote:
>
>: > How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>: Less than the time it takes to smell bad?
>
> Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long. :)
>
>: ... tear off a few inches of aluminum foil
>
> I use plastic lids I bought from petsmart/petco, they fit tightly.
> However, Al foil should work too.
>
>

cybercat
February 15th 06, 01:22 AM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
...
> John Doe > wrote:
>
> : > How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
> : Less than the time it takes to smell bad?
>
> Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long. :)

If I don't give the unused portion to my cats the next day, I toss it. I
would say that you could probably serve it two days after opening it and it
would still be good. After that, no. Use your head. What do you do with your
own food? I don't keep meats more than 3 days, fish and chicken more than 2.

Elmer Pintar
February 15th 06, 01:30 AM
no more than a day. It dries up and develops a stale odor, like any
food left out unrefrigerated. Remember, most cat food is made of meat
by-products, andis subject to quick spoil. If not consumed within a
day, replace the food.

February 15th 06, 01:34 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "AlexZ" > wrote in message
> ...
> > John Doe > wrote:
> >
> > : > How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
> > : Less than the time it takes to smell bad?
> >
> > Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long. :)
>
> If I don't give the unused portion to my cats the next day, I toss it. I
> would say that you could probably serve it two days after opening it and it
> would still be good. After that, no. Use your head. What do you do with your
> own food? I don't keep meats more than 3 days, fish and chicken more than 2.

I let the cat judge for herself. When I buy a big can, 14 ounces?, of
super premium cat food, I'll usually keep it a week. Every day or so,
I'll put some out. But she usually won't eat this at all. I keep it in
the frig. Surprisingly it lasts easily. So I'm back to 3 ounce cans to
avoid all this. The 3 ounce is good for the day. If she gets hungry
enough, she'll eat the food even if it's 6 hours old. If she can keep a
mouse for a day or two, then she can keep a can for 6 hours. If I'm
feeling guilty, then it's 20 minutes and toss. I want her to eat more
canned - and she does when I'm not looking. I have not gotten this down
to a system yet as you can tell. I'm a male. That's my excuse :) Since
I'm a vegetarian, except for chicken noodle soup, I don't keep meats
more than 1 second ;)

Joan in GB-W
February 15th 06, 02:30 AM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
...
> John Doe > wrote:
>
> : > How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
> : Less than the time it takes to smell bad?
>
> Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long. :)
>
> : ... tear off a few inches of aluminum foil
>
> I use plastic lids I bought from petsmart/petco, they fit tightly.
> However, Al foil should work too.

I use small tupperware containers. The second day I microwave it for 10-15
seconds so that it is not refrigerator cold.

Joan

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 02:50 AM
cybercat > wrote:

: If I don't give the unused portion to my cats the next day, I toss it. I
: would say that you could probably serve it two days after opening it and it
: would still be good. After that, no.

I assume you mean two days if refrigerated.

How long would the can (opened but then closed with a tight lid) be ok
if left unrefrigerated in 60 deg room? (In case somebody is wondering
why even consider leaving it unrefrigerated, the answer is that warming
chilled food has its own issues. So I am wondering how long can I get
away with simply leaving it at the room temp?)

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 02:59 AM
"> wrote:

: I let the cat judge for herself. When I buy a big can, 14 ounces?, of
: super premium cat food, I'll usually keep it a week. Every day or so,
: I'll put some out. But she usually won't eat this at all. I keep it in
: the frig. Surprisingly it lasts easily. So I'm back to 3 ounce cans to
: avoid all this. The 3 ounce is good for the day. If she gets hungry
: enough, she'll eat the food even if it's 6 hours old. If she can keep a
: mouse for a day or two, then she can keep a can for 6 hours...

I too have given up on 14 oz cans. Maybe when we have two cats, but
with just one cat it is false economy if she won't eat and I have to
discard a good portion of it.

However, 3 oz cans are particularly uneconomical. I still haven't given
up on 5.5-6 oz cans. :)

I know you can keep them 2-3 days in the fridge, but that raises the
issue of warming it so she would still eat it. Straight microwaving
doesn't work with her. I have better luck with microwaving at defrost
setting. Still, I am trying to figure out how long is it safe to leave
it unrefrigerated.

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 03:01 AM
Joan in GB-W > wrote:

: I use small tupperware containers. The second day I microwave it
: for 10-15 seconds so that it is not refrigerator cold.

You are lucky, mine refuses to eat food microwaved in this manner!

John Wesley
February 15th 06, 03:02 AM
In article >, says...
>
> "AlexZ" > wrote in message
> What do you do with your
> own food? I don't keep meats more than 3 days,

I keep meats for a week in the fridge.

> fish and chicken more than 2.


Chicken for a week also in the fridge.
>
>
>

February 15th 06, 03:42 AM
John Doe wrote:
> nym shifting troll

How could a malicious troll like you ever be sociable. On
Comp.Speech.Users you spew venom and are constantly castigated.

Anyone who feels this way should write John Dope at Lshaping atsign
hotmail.com to let him know he should get back on his meds.

Sincerely,
Markoe

cybercat
February 15th 06, 04:26 AM
"Elmer Pintar" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> no more than a day. It dries up and develops a stale odor, like any
> food left out unrefrigerated.


Um. I assumed the OP meant in the refrigerator.

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 04:47 AM
cybercat > wrote:

: Um. I assumed the OP meant in the refrigerator.

Well, my question was in three parts-

"How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?"

John Doe
February 15th 06, 09:10 AM
Martin Markoe is a racketeering spammer troll whose only
activity on USENET (besides stalking) is pushing microphones on
disabled users whose speech recognition problems usually have
nothing to do with their microphone.


mmarkoe optonline.net wrote:

> Path: newssvr25.news.prodigy.net!newsdbm05.news.prodigy. com!newsdbm04.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prod igy.com!newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!ne wscon02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!news.glorb.co m!postnews.google.com!f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com !not-for-mail
> From: mmarkoe optonline.net
> Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: How long can you keep opened canned food?
> Date: 14 Feb 2006 18:42:11 -0800
> Organization: http://groups.google.com
> Lines: 12
> Message-ID: <1139971330.997879.156220 f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
> References: <140220061705052643%alexz no.spam> <Xns976AB24EAC552follydom 207.115.17.102> <1139960563.212774.189760 g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <Xns976AB6042B855follydom 207.115.17.102>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: 69.119.117.84
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> X-Trace: posting.google.com 1139971335 5727 127.0.0.1 (15 Feb 2006 02:42:15 GMT)
> X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse google.com
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:42:15 +0000 (UTC)
> In-Reply-To: <Xns976AB6042B855follydom 207.115.17.102>
> User-Agent: G2/0.2
> X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
> Complaints-To: groups-abuse google.com
> Injection-Info: f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com; posting-host=69.119.117.84; posting-account=U-Isdw0AAADr0OK1Ts3hoOkRr2rdiLMK
> Xref: prodigy.net alt.cats:214242 alt.pets.cats:40040 rec.pets.cats.health+behav:423767
>
> John Doe wrote:
>> nym shifting troll
>
> How could a malicious troll like you ever be sociable. On
> Comp.Speech.Users you spew venom and are constantly castigated.
>
> Anyone who feels this way should write John Dope at Lshaping atsign
> hotmail.com to let him know he should get back on his meds.
>
> Sincerely,
> Markoe
>
>
>

dgk
February 15th 06, 03:20 PM
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:47:54 GMT, AlexZ > wrote:

>cybercat > wrote:
>
>: Um. I assumed the OP meant in the refrigerator.
>
>Well, my question was in three parts-
>
>"How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
>2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
>3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?"

Good question since my cats do not like refrigerated food, even if
microwaved, and I'm not going to heat it on the stove. I have to draw
the line somewhere.

I finally went with the 3oz cans, which are pretty expensive but the
boys like ProPlan salmon and rice and PP is only available in 3oz
cans. So I buy it by the case and it's a bit cheaper.

I split a can into two bowls in the morning. In the evening I clean
the bowls and split another can. That sits until the morning. So each
cat gets one 3oz can per day. Plus they also get all the PP DRY
salmon and rice (the boys are consistent at least) they want.

Usually there isn't a whole lot to clean out of the bowl.

This morning, while waiting for my arrival with the can, Espy was
happily eating away at the leftovers from the evening meal. I took it
away and gave him the fresh stuff but he was perfectly content to keep
eating the 12 hour old stuff.

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 05:13 PM
dgk > wrote:

: I finally went with the 3oz cans, which are pretty expensive but the
: boys like ProPlan salmon and rice and PP is only available in 3oz
: cans. So I buy it by the case and it's a bit cheaper.
:
: I split a can into two bowls in the morning. In the evening I clean
: the bowls and split another can. That sits until the morning. So each
: cat gets one 3oz can per day. Plus they also get all the PP DRY
: salmon and rice (the boys are consistent at least) they want.

Although Pro Plan and Fancy Feast offer only 3 oz cans, many premium
brands (Iams, Science Diet, Nutro) offer 5.5 oz. With two cats, if they
would like one of these flavors, you have the option of splitting a 5.5
oz can. On sale these are available for around 50c. This would be more
economical and also better for their health (ie, more canned food, less
kibble).

From what I read in the ng's, even mainstream manufacturers like
Friskies have improved their quality a lot, and they are available for
less than 30 cents per 5.5 oz can. You can try those too.

I have also heard that too much sea food is not good for the cats' long
term health, I am no expert but you might want to look into it.

If you are tempted to try a change, it should be very gradual. For
starters, I might try offering new food only one meal a week (ie, 1 out
of 14 meals).

NMR
February 15th 06, 06:34 PM
"John Doe" >

Seems you find trolls everywhere you go and at times start to act like them
when you get there ...

cybercat
February 15th 06, 07:00 PM
"NMR" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "John Doe" >
>
> Seems you find trolls everywhere you go and at times start to act like
them
> when you get there ...
>
>

John is worse than a troll, he's an asshole with a capital "A."

Morgen
February 15th 06, 07:02 PM
I only leave food out for an hour or so to get to room temperature or
zap in the microwave for 10 sec or less. I feed only 1/2 teaspoon at a
time per cat and dole it out for about 2 hours as they empty the bowls.
Evenings I give a full teaspoon. My cats have dry to graze on during
the day. Fresh water and clean bowls are a must and the food lives in
the fridge until feeding time. Transfer food to a plastic container
with a tight lid, don't leave in the can. Easier to zap that way as I
use stainless wet food bowls. Various flavors because they are easily
bored, but same brand name all the time to keep nutrition constant.
Try "Only Natural Pet" for the most complete foods.

Trolls are encouraged everytime someone attacks them, see Operant
Conditioning Principles.

Morgen the Cat Whisperer
<a href="http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/">For the Love of Cats</a>

cybercat
February 15th 06, 07:03 PM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
...
> cybercat > wrote:
>
> : Um. I assumed the OP meant in the refrigerator.
>
> Well, my question was in three parts-
>
> "How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
> 1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)

Well, what if you left some meat out on the table that you had cooked?
How long would you feel safe eating it? A couple of hours? All day?

> 2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)

Why would you do this if you have a refrigerator?

> 3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?"

Two days, max. Don't take chances with your cat. Ever
eat spoiled food? One time I did, as my CAT had knocked
the refrigerator cord out of the outlet and I was busy and did
not notice. Anyway, if you ever eat spoiled food you will learn
not to take any chances. Just don't take any chances!

NMR
February 15th 06, 07:28 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "NMR" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "John Doe" >
>>
>> Seems you find trolls everywhere you go and at times start to act like
> them
>> when you get there ...
>>
>>
>
> John is worse than a troll, he's an asshole with a capital "A."

He is a ****ing asshole that followed me over to a non cat group and posted
I was a troll


>
>

NMR
February 15th 06, 07:28 PM
"John Doe" >
ASSHOLE AND A STALKER

NMR
February 15th 06, 07:29 PM
"John Doe" >

CAREFUL HE IS A STALKER

NMR
February 15th 06, 07:47 PM
"John Doe" >

STALKER AND A TROLL BEWARE FOLLOWS YOU TO OTHER GROUPS AND INSULTS THEM AND
POST BS ABOUT THEM

HE NEEDS A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE

NMR
February 15th 06, 07:47 PM
"John Doe" >

STALKER AND A TROLL BEWARE FOLLOWS YOU TO OTHER GROUPS AND INSULTS THEM AND
POST BS ABOUT THEM

HE NEEDS A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE

cybercat
February 15th 06, 08:07 PM
"NMR" > wrote in message
...
>
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > "NMR" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >>
> >> "John Doe" >
> >>
> >> Seems you find trolls everywhere you go and at times start to act like
> > them
> >> when you get there ...
> >>
> >>
> >
> > John is worse than a troll, he's an asshole with a capital "A."
>
> He is a ****ing asshole that followed me over to a non cat group and
posted
> I was a troll
>

"****ing asshole" works for me. If I were the netcopping type I might
complain to his ISP if I were you. [If I were you and if you were the
netcopping type ... you know what I mean.]

NMR
February 15th 06, 08:27 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
Can't do anything about that anyone can post anywhere say anything as
long as no personal information is let out it is not a commercial
advertisement or physical threats nothing to do but give him a taste of his
own medicine. I posted in the other groups that I know that he goes to this
statement " BEWARE HE IS A STALKER AND A TROLL BEWARE FOLLOWS YOU TO OTHER
GROUPS AND INSULTS THEM AND POST BS ABOUT THEM
HE NEEDS A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE "

He followed me over to alt.wholesale and started crap there. He is just
a little child trapped behind a computer screen just like all internet tough
guys. Phil spanked him before that was good enough for me.
Here is my reply post to him " John your are just a child hiding behind a
computer screen In real life you are completely ignored by both woman and
men which you admitted in another group after Phil spanked you for being
stupid. Get a life your post are ignored through out the cats groups and
other that you post in get a life you punk. No one cares about you. Call a
900 number they will give you all the attention that mommy and daddy did not
give you.
All you are doing is being lined up for a <plonk>"
His reply was so childish that I talked to him like a child in my reply.

He is being added to the killfile list he is just a little boy hiding behind
a computer screen getting his rocks off bothering people

DW
February 15th 06, 08:59 PM
AlexZ wrote:
> How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>
> 1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
> 2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
> 3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?


This is a running problem I have. I've had a number of cats who
will not eat cold food from the refigerator. Even if it is heated in
the
Microwave......

I finally got to the point where i got the smallest can available,
3 ozs., which was emptied in a matter of a few hours.

Some cats are picky that way.

NMR
February 15th 06, 09:19 PM
"DW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> AlexZ wrote:
>> How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>>
>> 1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
>> 2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
>> 3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?
>
>
> This is a running problem I have. I've had a number of cats who
> will not eat cold food from the refigerator. Even if it is heated in
> the
> Microwave......
>
> I finally got to the point where i got the smallest can available,
> 3 ozs., which was emptied in a matter of a few hours.
>
> Some cats are picky that way.
>

Mine refuse to do the same if they don't finish it it gets throw in the
trash

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 09:26 PM
cybercat > wrote:

: > 2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
: Why would you do this if you have a refrigerator?

She doesnt like reheated it food. I feed her 12 hours apart. If the
opened but tightly reclosed can would last that long in a 60 deg room,
that would solve my reheating problem.

: > 3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?"
:
: Two days, max. Don't take chances with your cat.

Thanks to Janna we learn 4 days is ok according to Purina. I have never
gone beyond 3 and usually am within 2.

John Doe
February 15th 06, 09:57 PM
A nym shifting control freak who says she's not a net cop.
And the cow jumped over the moon.

See also:
cybercat
Lumpy
Mary

"cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: "cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> References: <140220061705052643%alexz no.spam> <Xns976AB24EAC552follydom 207.115.17.102> <1139960563.212774.189760 g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <Xns976AB6042B855follydom 207.115.17.102> <1139971330.997879.156220 f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> <Xns976B161F32F91follydom 207.115.17.102> <yCJIf.28806$g47.5252 tornado.tampabay.rr.com> <43f36c23_1 x-privat.org> <bpKIf.2147$_c.1703 tornado.tampabay.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: How long can you keep opened canned food?
> Lines: 30
> X-Priority: 3
> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1506
> X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1506
> NNTP-Posting-Host: $$-dwiil$phnwn7.x-privat.org
> Message-ID: <43f37bd4$1_1 x-privat.org>
> Organization: X-Privat NNTP Server - http://www.x-privat.org
> X-Authenticated-User: $$f3xu_3ux02o9cl$bayv
> X-Complaints-To: abuse x-privat.org
> Date: 15 Feb 2006 20:07:00 +0100
> Path: newssvr27.news.prodigy.net!newsdbm04.news.prodigy. com!newsdst01.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01b.news.pro digy.com!prodigy.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com!pr odigy.net!news-feed01.roc.ny.frontiernet.net!nntp.frontiernet.net !news.glorb.com!x-privat.org!not-for-mail
> Xref: prodigy.net alt.cats:214285 alt.pets.cats:40066 rec.pets.cats.health+behav:423851
>
>
> "NMR" <haveyouplonkedatrolltoday anti-troll.com> wrote in message
> news:bpKIf.2147$_c.1703 tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> "cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:43f36c23_1 x-privat.org...
>> >
>> > "NMR" <haveyouplonkedatrolltoday anti-troll.com> wrote in message
>> > news:yCJIf.28806$g47.5252 tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> >>
>> >> "John Doe" <jdoe usenet.love.invalid>
>> >>
>> >> Seems you find trolls everywhere you go and at times start to act like
>> > them
>> >> when you get there ...
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> > John is worse than a troll, he's an asshole with a capital "A."
>>
>> He is a ****ing asshole that followed me over to a non cat group and
> posted
>> I was a troll
>>
>
> "****ing asshole" works for me. If I were the netcopping type I might
> complain to his ISP if I were you. [If I were you and if you were the
> netcopping type ... you know what I mean.]
>
>
>
>

cybercat
February 15th 06, 11:58 PM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
...
> cybercat > wrote:
>
> : > 2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
> : Why would you do this if you have a refrigerator?
>
> She doesnt like reheated it food. I feed her 12 hours apart. If the
> opened but tightly reclosed can would last that long in a 60 deg room,
> that would solve my reheating problem.

Just take it out an hour early.
>
> : > 3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?"
> :
> : Two days, max. Don't take chances with your cat.
>
> Thanks to Janna we learn 4 days is ok according to Purina. I have never
> gone beyond 3 and usually am within 2.

Better safe than sorry!

Switch
February 16th 06, 02:39 AM
AlexZ wrote:
> How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:

your cat must be about one pound, lol

what size cans do you get, I've only seen two sizes

the largest size, surely one cat can eat that much in a day
or two days...twill be fine!

*just be sure to killfile that John Dolt character; he's got some
serious issues

John Doe
February 16th 06, 02:43 AM
nym shifting troll

See also:
"Magic Mood JeepŠ" <buttercupstickysweet yahoo.com>
"-L." <bigbadbarry adelphia.net>
"a christmas tree"
"abRokeNegRo"
"bag-o-switches"
"bigbadbarry"
"black-ip"
"chickenwing"
"coffeedog"
"hamandche betweentheknees.com"
"Jew"
"johndoeisadick"
"Levon"
"Mr Tibbs"
"NMR"
"Patches"
"Prozack"
"Resistance"
"Shalom"
"Switch"
"Themselves"
"wannabe"
"watermelon"
"whitershadeofpale"
"yo"

"Switch" <bigbadbarry adelphia.net> wrote:

> Path: newssvr27.news.prodigy.net!newsdbm04.news.prodigy. com!newsdst01.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01b.news.pro digy.com!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.com!pr odigy.net!news.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!z14g2 000cwz.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
> From: "Switch" <bigbadbarry adelphia.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: How long can you keep opened canned food?
> Date: 15 Feb 2006 17:39:22 -0800
> Organization: http://groups.google.com
> Lines: 14
> Message-ID: <1140053962.547466.315440 z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
> References: <140220061705052643%alexz no.spam>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: 70.110.122.37
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> X-Trace: posting.google.com 1140053967 14893 127.0.0.1 (16 Feb 2006 01:39:27 GMT)
> X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse google.com
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 01:39:27 +0000 (UTC)
> In-Reply-To: <140220061705052643%alexz no.spam>
> User-Agent: G2/0.2
> X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
> Complaints-To: groups-abuse google.com
> Injection-Info: z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com; posting-host=70.110.122.37; posting-account=spjB1A0AAABQAQQ5dkg3_gZwONU3us3k
> Xref: prodigy.net alt.cats:214306 alt.pets.cats:40079 rec.pets.cats.health+behav:423913
>
>
> AlexZ wrote:
>> How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>
> your cat must be about one pound, lol
>
> what size cans do you get, I've only seen two sizes
>
> the largest size, surely one cat can eat that much in a day
> or two days...twill be fine!
>
> *just be sure to killfile that John Dolt character; he's got some
> serious issues
>
>
>

Switch
February 16th 06, 02:52 AM
John Doe wrote:
> nym shifting troll

> > *just be sure to killfile that John Dolt character; he's got some
> > serious issues

You've been wearing that same shirt since I started posting over 2
years ago!

Shame on you!

GASP!!!

somebody call the fashion police!

YOU HAVE NO IMAGINATION

John
February 17th 06, 12:18 AM
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:04:48 GMT, AlexZ > wrote:

>How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
>
>1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)

No more than 12 hours. But it mat even be stale to the cat by then and
it would want fresh food and not be happy about eating it. Cat's are
very picky and choosy about their food.

>2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)

12 Hours

>3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?

3 days max. But a lot of the goodness would be lost from the food the
longer you keep it exposed to the air. Cat also might not like overly
cool food from a refrigerator to eat.

We always get the whiskas pouches, and usually the cat eats up a whole
pouch in one serving, maybe leaves some a comes back later for more.
Sometime has more than a pouch.

As far as dry food goes it is the same situation. Once it is in his
bowl it will go stale very quickly. That's why we always found it best
to put out just a small handful and then when he's eaten it put a tiny
bit more out until its eaten. Luckily a lot of the dry food comes in
resealable bags. Even with these though, if it is a big bag the food
can go stale unless it is used fairly quickly, especially if it's not
resealed fully, or air is left in the package.

John