PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem with Greenies

MaryL
February 15th 06, 01:46 PM
CNN has a video report today that says there have been dozens of cases of
life-threatening obstruction in *dogs* (including some deaths) that have
been traced to partially-digested Greenies. The manufacturer denies that
there is any danger, and there was no reference to cats in the report. I
have never used Greenies for my cats, and this report is so new that it is
entirely possible that it is incorrect. However, I thought I would relay
the information to those of you who might be using the product. I would
certainly prefer to err on the side of caution.

MaryL

MaryL
February 15th 06, 02:27 PM
news:[email protected]
> CNN has a video report today that says there have been dozens of cases of
> life-threatening obstruction in *dogs* (including some deaths) that have
> been traced to partially-digested Greenies. The manufacturer denies that
> there is any danger, and there was no reference to cats in the report. I
> have never used Greenies for my cats, and this report is so new that it is
> entirely possible that it is incorrect. However, I thought I would relay
> the information to those of you who might be using the product. I would
> certainly prefer to err on the side of caution.
>
> MaryL

Here is a link to the print version of CNN's report. Their video reports
often remain online for only a short time.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/index.html

MaryL

Ollie via CatKB.com
February 15th 06, 02:50 PM
I was giving Tigger greenies and she loved them (Tank did not) but I stopped
when she threw up a whole bunch of them. She has a tendency to gobble her
treats and not chew them very well.

Toni
February 15th 06, 04:24 PM
news:[email protected]
> CNN has a video report today that says there have been dozens of cases of
> life-threatening obstruction in *dogs* (including some deaths) that have
> been traced to partially-digested Greenies. The manufacturer denies that
> there is any danger, and there was no reference to cats in the report. I
> have never used Greenies for my cats, and this report is so new that it is
> entirely possible that it is incorrect. However, I thought I would relay
> the information to those of you who might be using the product. I would
> certainly prefer to err on the side of caution.

This particular report may be new but problems with Greenies have been
around for years.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Barb
February 15th 06, 04:24 PM
I would not give my cats Greenies. The stories about dogs have been
devastating. Why take a chance?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

PawsForThought
February 15th 06, 05:19 PM
The problem with Greenies is that they don't break down well at all. I
would not use them for dogs, or cats.

Larry
February 16th 06, 01:22 AM
The cat greenies are very different from the dog greenies. The cat ones are
like Pounce or similar treats. The easily break up. Dog greenies on the
other hand look like plastic to me. They can be chewed but they can also be
broken up by biting and the problem is when the dog swallows the large
pieces.

--
Larry - Owned by ten cats