PDA

View Full Version : Calling experts: store food in original cans or tupperware?

AlexZ
February 15th 06, 04:27 PM
With only one cat, who is a picky eater too, I often find myself
storing 1/2 a can of cat food in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, has
even strethced to 3 days. I use the original can, closed with tight
fitting lids I got from petsmart/petco.

Discussion in another thread brought up the possibility that open cans
*may* change the taste of the food and tupperware/plastic would be
better.

Now while I am completely ignorant of kitchen issues I do recall
hearing this about human food too: once you open a can, don't use it
for storing unused portion, use a plastic container instead.

What is the experience/verdict of the experts in the group? Many thanks.

February 15th 06, 04:51 PM
I would agree. If you opened a can of peas and only used some of them,
you would store the leftovers in plastic. Same with olives (few can
eat a whole can at a sitting).
So storing in plastic containers with tight-fitting lids is best.

Certain foods are more acidic than others and can actually eat into the
metal of the cans. Best to just change containers and wash the
containers in hot, soapy water between each use. More sterile.

Joan in GB-W
February 15th 06, 06:58 PM

> I have always heard not to store anything in the can but I never knew why.
> It's just one of those things my mother always told me.
>

> --
> Toni
> http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

I looked up your site on your dogs. Interesting.

Now at the Shamrock Club meeting which I will be attending on February 20,
we will have some people in from a local dog kennel club that will discuss
Irish breeds of dogs for us. They will bring some canine representatives of
the species and put them through obedience tests. I am so looking forward
to this meeting.

Joan

Toni
February 15th 06, 07:08 PM
"Joan in GB-W" > wrote in message

> I looked up your site on your dogs. Interesting.
>
> Now at the Shamrock Club meeting which I will be attending on February 20,
> we will have some people in from a local dog kennel club that will discuss
> Irish breeds of dogs for us. They will bring some canine representatives
> of
> the species and put them through obedience tests. I am so looking forward
> to this meeting.

Should be very entertaining. Sighthounds and obedience tests are rarely
mentioned in the same sentence <g>.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

MaryL
February 15th 06, 10:02 PM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> With only one cat, who is a picky eater too, I often find myself
> storing 1/2 a can of cat food in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, has
> even strethced to 3 days. I use the original can, closed with tight
> fitting lids I got from petsmart/petco.
>
> Discussion in another thread brought up the possibility that open cans
> *may* change the taste of the food and tupperware/plastic would be
> better.
>
> Now while I am completely ignorant of kitchen issues I do recall
> hearing this about human food too: once you open a can, don't use it
> for storing unused portion, use a plastic container instead.
>
> What is the experience/verdict of the experts in the group? Many thanks.

I store mine in the original metal can (Wellness and Eagle Pack) but with a
tight-fitting plastic lid. I never keep a can for more than one day because
I use 2/3 can for my two cats for one feeding, 2/3 can the next time, and
that leaves 2 cans each with 1/3 for the third use.

MaryL