PDA

View Full Version : HELP! CAT WANTS TO BE OUTDOORS

February 15th 06, 10:10 PM
We added a kitten to our home, already have an older cat who is
strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired
of guarding the door everytime we let our dog out!

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 15th 06, 10:28 PM
>strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
>a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
>for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
>looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
>brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired

Can you put him in another area not close to the door when you're going to
take your dog out? How old is he? I can't imagine a little kitten leaving
for days on end. Is he an older kitten?

NanCe

DJ
February 16th 06, 04:06 AM
Is he neutered? If he isn't, that is probably why he keeps taking off.
Unaltered males can smell unaltered females from miles away. That leads to
wondering and fighting. Neutering him will help with the straying,
spraying, chances of Felv and FIV.
"NanCe via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
>>a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
>>for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
>>looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
>>brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired
>
> Can you put him in another area not close to the door when you're going to
> take your dog out? How old is he? I can't imagine a little kitten
> leaving
> for days on end. Is he an older kitten?
>

> NanCe

Rhonda
February 16th 06, 06:02 AM
Sorry, but you have to guard the door. Pretend it's your child that
always wants out but you know it's too dangerous out there-- you'll find
a way to keep him in.

If there's something you could do to scare him a bit and not scare the
dog, clapping your hands if he comes near for instance, maybe stomping a
foot. I know one person who keeps a kitty toy by the door and throws it
down the hall when she opens the door.

Good luck,

Rhonda

wrote:

> We added a kitten to our home, already have an older cat who is
> strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
> a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
> for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
> looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
> brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired
> of guarding the door everytime we let our dog out!

Ryan Robbins
February 17th 06, 07:35 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We added a kitten to our home, already have an older cat who is
> strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
> a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
> for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
> looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
> brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired
> of guarding the door everytime we let our dog out!

It's simple: Block the door when you enter the house, and shoo the cat away
when you open the door from insie the house. You can also put the cat behind
a door when letting the dog out.