PDA

View Full Version : Help with master training

Ollie via CatKB.com
February 15th 06, 07:36 PM
DH came home the other night to find Tank perched on top of THE corner
cupboard. THE corner cupboard is a family heirloom built by hand in the
early 1800s, worth several thousand dollars. After determining he did not
climb it DH sat back to see how he would get down. Apparently his way of
accessing the corner cupboard is to jump from his tower to Tiggerís tower,
from there to the china cupboard, then to the curtain rod, walk tightrope
across the curtain rod onto the corner cupboard.

I have two questions Ė first, Tank apparently likes being very high. It has
been a constant battle to keep him off the bookshelf in my office. Is there
some sort of a kitty thing I can get him that will meet this need without him
running the risk of toppling over the bookshelf, falling down behind the
corner cupboard (did I mention it is also extremely heavy and full of fragile
stuff), pull down the curtains etc. Heís already managed to get himself
stuck behind the refrigerator once and there is a big scratch on one of the
kitchen cabinets where he didnít quite make it to jump up there.

Second, I canít squirt water on the corner cupboard, not only would it damage
it but in his scramble to get down he might fall or jump behind it and that
would be a mess. I really donít want to put sticky tape on it for the same
damage issue. I thought of putting sticky tape on the china cupboard,
cutting off his access, but knowing Tank he would probably resort to climbing
the curtains. Any ideas????

Lest someone mention it Ė we already have another cat. He would like to play
with her but she is having none of it. If we donít separate them while we
are at work, we find her cowering in the closet. And I should buy stock in
Feliway for how much I have been through. A third cat is NOT an option. He
gets lots of play time and lots of attention. We have to give him lots of
attention, if he doesnít get attention he jumps on the kitchen counter and
starts knocking things off.

Karen
February 15th 06, 08:38 PM
I"m thinking it might be worth it to have a specially built cat tree for
Tank that meets his needs.

"Ollie via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DH came home the other night to find Tank perched on top of THE corner
> cupboard. THE corner cupboard is a family heirloom built by hand in the
> early 1800s, worth several thousand dollars. After determining he did not
> climb it DH sat back to see how he would get down. Apparently his way of
> accessing the corner cupboard is to jump from his tower to Tigger's tower,
> from there to the china cupboard, then to the curtain rod, walk tightrope
> across the curtain rod onto the corner cupboard.
>
> I have two questions - first, Tank apparently likes being very high. It
has
> been a constant battle to keep him off the bookshelf in my office. Is
there
> some sort of a kitty thing I can get him that will meet this need without
him
> running the risk of toppling over the bookshelf, falling down behind the
> corner cupboard (did I mention it is also extremely heavy and full of
fragile
> stuff), pull down the curtains etc. He's already managed to get himself
> stuck behind the refrigerator once and there is a big scratch on one of
the
> kitchen cabinets where he didn't quite make it to jump up there.
>
> Second, I can't squirt water on the corner cupboard, not only would it
damage
> it but in his scramble to get down he might fall or jump behind it and
that
> would be a mess. I really don't want to put sticky tape on it for the
same
> damage issue. I thought of putting sticky tape on the china cupboard,
> cutting off his access, but knowing Tank he would probably resort to
climbing
> the curtains. Any ideas????
>
> Lest someone mention it - we already have another cat. He would like to
play
> with her but she is having none of it. If we don't separate them while we
> are at work, we find her cowering in the closet. And I should buy stock
in
> Feliway for how much I have been through. A third cat is NOT an option.
He
> gets lots of play time and lots of attention. We have to give him lots of
> attention, if he doesn't get attention he jumps on the kitchen counter and
> starts knocking things off.

Enfilade
February 15th 06, 10:11 PM
Karen wrote:
> I"m thinking it might be worth it to have a specially built cat tree for
> Tank that meets his needs.

I would recommend a cat tree as well. If there is an "allowed" area
where he can get up high and look around, the cabinet will become less
attractive.

You might try noise instead of water--like a can full of pebbles--shook
when he is up on the cabinet. Soon he will associate the cabinet with
the unpleasant noise.

--Fil

Ollie via CatKB.com
February 16th 06, 01:42 PM
Yes, I think a taller cat tree is in order, he already has two three level
ones (well one is Tigger's but try telling him that). These are pretty much
the tallest ones I've seen in stores. Are there any places that make super
tall ones?

I like the pebble idea. We'll put that together tonight.

Thanks