PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointers?

AlexZ
February 18th 06, 06:48 AM
What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
they are dangerous...

Claude V. Lucas
February 18th 06, 06:58 AM
In article >, AlexZ <Newsgroup> wrote:
>What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
>Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
>they are dangerous...

Other than pointing one directly into a living eye, it's
tough for me to see the danger. However my cat, Bubba, loses
interest after about 10 seconds when he realizes that the red
dot is not actually catchable....

Other cats are apparently more interested in them.

Claude

Jeffrey Kaplan
February 18th 06, 08:09 AM
It is alleged that AlexZ claimed:

> What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
> Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
> they are dangerous...

Just be careful to not shine it in their eyes, that's all.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"He has become one with his inner self!" "He passed out." "That too."
(Vir Coto and Mr. Garibaldi, B5 "The Parliament of Dreams")

Ivor Jones
February 18th 06, 12:43 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

> In article >, AlexZ
> <Newsgroup> wrote:
> > What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus
> > exercise device? Amazon.com reviews are highly
> > polarized, some love them, some think they are
> > dangerous...
>
> Other than pointing one directly into a living eye, it's
> tough for me to see the danger. However my cat, Bubba,
> loses
> interest after about 10 seconds when he realizes that the
> red
> dot is not actually catchable....
>
> Other cats are apparently more interested in them.

I'm just wondering how easy it would be for the beam to find its way into
an eye by accident during play. This is why I'm reluctant to try one.

Ivor

Brian Merchant
February 18th 06, 01:26 PM
In the borning days of the third millennium, AlexZ wrote:
>What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
>Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
>they are dangerous...

Our cats love them, and the laser pointers they sell for this purpose
aren't powerful enough to do lasting damage due to incidentally shining
them in the eye. Just don't aim it at their corneas and leave them there.
At the worst, they'll see spots for a few minutes.

Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
cabinets!
--
Brian Merchant

Puritanism didn't keep the puritans from sinning, it just kept them from enjoying it.
--Father Joe Breighner, Country Roads

Victor Martinez
February 18th 06, 01:54 PM
Brian Merchant wrote:
> Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
> after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
> cabinets!

I agree! Our cats absolutely adore the laser pointer. Well, 5 out of 7 do.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

Upscale
February 18th 06, 02:43 PM
"Brian Merchant" > wrote in message

> Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
> after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
> cabinets!

I have one and am careful not to shine it in my cat's eyes. While you're
moving the pointer around, passing it for a fraction of a second across her
eyes will not cause any damage. My cat still chases the pointer, but now she
tries to stalk it instead of just immediately chasing it. I've got all wood
floors so I get a laugh out of seeing how far I can get her to slide when
chasing the pointer. The record so far is 9 feet 4 inches.

whayface
February 18th 06, 02:45 PM
On 18 Feb 2006 06:58:40 GMT, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

>>What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
>>Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
>>they are dangerous...
>
>Other than pointing one directly into a living eye, it's
>tough for me to see the danger. However my cat, Bubba, loses
>interest after about 10 seconds when he realizes that the red
>dot is not actually catchable....
>
>Other cats are apparently more interested in them.
>

>Claude

When I first got one for my furbabies they would chase it like there was no tomorrow. I
played with it with them every night and they enjoyed it. After a couple weeks they got
so after 5 - 10 minutes they would tire of it but they still wanted to place with it and
if I did not they would knock it off the table where I kept it and look at me as if to say
"WELL???".

I could tell when they had enough. They would stop to eat or just lay and look at it for
a while.

My babies
http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

DW
February 18th 06, 03:07 PM
AlexZ wrote:
> What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
> Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
> they are dangerous...
I love them, my kitten loves it too.

My older Calico wants no part of it. (She is 16, she says go chase it
yourself.)

I have several gripes about them though, they eat batteries and they
power
on button is difficult to use.

Just be careful not to point it in the cats eyes.

DW
February 18th 06, 03:16 PM
Brian Merchant wrote:
> Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
> after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
> cabinets!
My kitten manages to bop his head on anything/everything without the
laser, being that he is a KITTEN.

Claude V. Lucas
February 18th 06, 04:54 PM
In article >,
Ivor Jones > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

>> In article >, AlexZ
>> <Newsgroup> wrote:
>> > What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus
>> > exercise device? Amazon.com reviews are highly
>> > polarized, some love them, some think they are
>> > dangerous...
>>
>> Other than pointing one directly into a living eye, it's
>> tough for me to see the danger. However my cat, Bubba,
>> loses
>> interest after about 10 seconds when he realizes that the
>> red
>> dot is not actually catchable....
>>
>> Other cats are apparently more interested in them.
>
>I'm just wondering how easy it would be for the beam to find its way into
>an eye by accident during play. This is why I'm reluctant to try one.
>
>Ivor

The cat has to look directly at you.

You have to point the beam directly into his/her/it's eye
and keep your finger on the button...

I possibly could be mistaken, but I believe that most
of the cheap laser pointers are not powerful enough
to do any damage in less than a couple of seconds of
direct exposure. I bought 2/$5 at Walgreens and they
project a dot but aren't laser welders by any stretch.

I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
to chase it...

Claude

cybercat
February 18th 06, 05:14 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:

> I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
> to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
> to chase it...

Cats change all the time. Just as their favorite sleeping
places change, so do their taste in toys. At least with
my cats.

Claude V. Lucas
February 18th 06, 05:41 PM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:
>>
>> I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
>> to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
>> to chase it...
>>

>Cats change all the time. Just as their favorite sleeping
>places change, so do their taste in toys. At least with
>my cats.

Yeah. If I shine the dot off of something like
a golf ball he chirps, and he follows it around
with his head and eyes, but doesn't chase it.
Even if I run the dot close to him he won't waste
the energy to paw at it, just glare at it. :^)

Bubba still likes his stuffed fish on a pole and
the birds out the window a whole lot better than
the laser dot. He's smart enough to realize that
there's nothing there to actually grab on to.

I guess he likes to feel the prey...

Claude

Claude V. Lucas
February 18th 06, 06:05 PM
In article >,
D. > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>
>> Bubba still likes his stuffed fish on a pole and
>> the birds out the window a whole lot better than
>> the laser dot. He's smart enough to realize that
>> there's nothing there to actually grab on to.
>
>Hodge has been trying to snare that dot for a couple of years. Are you
>implying he's not very bright?!!? :)

Nope.

Bubba's just less persistent.

:^)

Claude

DW
February 18th 06, 08:45 PM
D. wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "DW" > wrote:
>
> > I have several gripes about them though, they eat batteries and they
> > power
> > on button is difficult to use.
>
> I have a critter one that has an easy-to-use button and takes AAA
> batteries, which seem to last.
I've tried a number of them, they all seem to use AG-13 batteries that
cost about $5.00+
for two of them. Also the button to activate the pointer has to be
pressed all the time
and gets painful after about 30+ seconds of use.

Why a button to press, how about a slide type of switch?

I've noticed young kittens love to play with them. Once the kitten
reaches adult they
get to the point where they say "go chase the dot yourself."

Remember the old addage: cats have staff to do things like chase the
laser
dot for them.

cybercat
February 18th 06, 11:03 PM
wrote:

> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:
> >>
> >> I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
> >> to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
> >> to chase it...
> >>

> >Cats change all the time. Just as their favorite sleeping
> >places change, so do their taste in toys. At least with
> >my cats.
> >

> Yeah. If I shine the dot off of something like
> a golf ball he chirps, and he follows it around
> with his head and eyes, but doesn't chase it.
> Even if I run the dot close to him he won't waste
> the energy to paw at it, just glare at it. :^)
>
> Bubba still likes his stuffed fish on a pole and
> the birds out the window a whole lot better than
> the laser dot. He's smart enough to realize that
> there's nothing there to actually grab on to.
>
> I guess he likes to feel the prey...

Yeah, mine too. These toys are big favorites, they
rabbitkick them in the morning and at night and my little tabby
kind of hooks them and makes them jump then conquers them. :)

http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html

Claude V. Lucas
February 18th 06, 11:09 PM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >, cybercat >
>wrote:

>> >Cats change all the time. Just as their favorite sleeping
>> >places change, so do their taste in toys. At least with
>> >my cats.
>> >

>> Yeah. If I shine the dot off of something like
>> a golf ball he chirps, and he follows it around
>> with his head and eyes, but doesn't chase it.
>> Even if I run the dot close to him he won't waste
>> the energy to paw at it, just glare at it. :^)
>>
>> Bubba still likes his stuffed fish on a pole and
>> the birds out the window a whole lot better than
>> the laser dot. He's smart enough to realize that
>> there's nothing there to actually grab on to.
>>
>> I guess he likes to feel the prey...
>>

>Yeah, mine too. These toys are big favorites, they
>rabbitkick them in the morning and at night and my little tabby
>kind of hooks them and makes them jump then conquers them. :)
>
>http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html

Those look pretty nifty.

I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.

Claude

cybercat
February 18th 06, 11:14 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote>
>http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html
> >

> Those look pretty nifty.
>
> I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.

I think he might! They use "high octane" catnip, and there is this
crackly stuff inside that crunches when they bite them. :) I have had
cats that would not play with any toys play with these. Browse around,
there are a bunch of different kings. Check out the "Political Animals"
series. :) It is great fun to watch your cat kick the bejeezus out of your
least favorite politicians.

Claude V. Lucas
February 18th 06, 11:25 PM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote>
>>http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html
>> >

>> Those look pretty nifty.
>>
>> I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.
>>

>I think he might! They use "high octane" catnip, and there is this
>crackly stuff inside that crunches when they bite them. :) I have had
>cats that would not play with any toys play with these. Browse around,
>there are a bunch of different kings. Check out the "Political Animals"
>series. :) It is great fun to watch your cat kick the bejeezus out of your
>least favorite politicians.

"High Octane" catnip, ehh...

I have a gallon ziplok half full of regular catnip that I grew in
the yard from a couple of plants from Pet Smart. :^)

I have to be careful about how much of it Bubba gets.

He goes schizo when he's on the 'nip. He'll lay on his back
to be rubbed on the tummy, start purring and then out of
nowhere grab with his claws, bite, and bunnykick while
he's still purring away... I've lost skin to that act...

I'll definately give the crunchy toys a go.

They sound like somethng he'd like.

Claude

cybercat
February 19th 06, 12:26 AM
wrote:

> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote>
> >>http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html
> >> >

> >> Those look pretty nifty.
> >>
> >> I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.
> >>

> >I think he might! They use "high octane" catnip, and there is this
> >crackly stuff inside that crunches when they bite them. :) I have had
> >cats that would not play with any toys play with these. Browse around,
> >there are a bunch of different kings. Check out the "Political Animals"
> >series. :) It is great fun to watch your cat kick the bejeezus out of
your
> >least favorite politicians.
> >

> "High Octane" catnip, ehh...
>
> I have a gallon ziplok half full of regular catnip that I grew in
> the yard from a couple of plants from Pet Smart. :^)

That's a great idea! I would love to try to grow it, I never noticed it at
Petsmart!

> I have to be careful about how much of it Bubba gets.

My cat Boo eats it. Just chows right down on it, then starts acting insane.
:) My other cat gracie just snorts it and then kicks the snot out of her
toys.

> He goes schizo when he's on the 'nip. He'll lay on his back
> to be rubbed on the tummy, start purring and then out of
> nowhere grab with his claws, bite, and bunnykick while
> he's still purring away... I've lost skin to that act...

Haha!

Hey, I want to see Bubba~!

cybercat
February 19th 06, 12:45 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
> I just made a few new pages...
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba/Bubba.html

Bubba is a beautiful boy, looks maine coonish! Do
you help him groom his long thick fur?

Claude V. Lucas
February 19th 06, 01:04 AM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
>> I just made a few new pages...
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba/Bubba.html
>>

>Bubba is a beautiful boy, looks maine coonish! Do
>you help him groom his long thick fur?

I'me pretty sure he's mostly Maine Coon. The 23Lbs
is a giveaway. :^) I got him from the local shelter,
so no papers... He also seems to have most of the
traditional MC personality traits too. I brush him
every week or so and use a comb as much as he'll
stand for, which isn't a whole lot. When I got him
his belly fur was all matted from neglect and I had
to have his stomach shaved. I let the groomer do that.
I didn't want him to associate *me* with that little
bit of torture...
As long as I brush him every week or so and clean out
the dead hair he is mat free. He doesn't particularly
like being brushed, but will put up with a little bit
at a time.

I think he knows why we need to do it.

Claude

Claude V. Lucas
February 19th 06, 01:06 AM
In article >,
D. > wrote:
>In article >, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>
>> "Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
>> > I just made a few new pages...
>> >
>> > http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba/Bubba.html
>> >

>> Bubba is a beautiful boy, looks maine coonish!
>
>He should be named Roy for king, not Bubba! Heh!

Fat + Lazy = Bubba...

:^)

Claude

Upscale
February 19th 06, 02:31 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
> to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
> to chase it...

My cat chirps at it too, I'm pretty sure they're noise of frustration at not
being able to catch the dot. She also makes a clicking noise while she tries
to outflank the dot.

Jan P.
February 19th 06, 03:59 AM
I have two cats the 3year old has no part of it, the 2year old loves it and
has to play all the time. I have a small phone table next to a chair the
sound of the laser pointer on the table is all she needs. Gabby will sit and
whine for someone to play. My advice is to get one, be responsible and have
fun .
Smile's
Jan

"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
> Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
> they are dangerous...

Waterlily
February 23rd 06, 08:43 AM
AlexZ wrote:
> What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
> Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
> they are dangerous...

My fiance` uses it as a "remote control". He used to use it to get the
cat out of the bedroom when we were ready for bed.

He finds much fun in using it for her amusement. There is no harm with
using it as a toy.

Jaime
March 3rd 06, 05:38 AM
I think they are the best thing on the planet. Safe used with coman sence.
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
> Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
> they are dangerous...

Lesley
March 3rd 06, 11:26 AM

> I just made a few new pages...
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba/Bubba.html

Bubba is lovely! That is one very contented cat!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

AZ Nomad
March 3rd 06, 05:53 PM
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:38:02 +1300, Jaime > wrote:

>I think they are the best thing on the planet. Safe used with coman sence.

coman sence?

Claude V. Lucas
March 3rd 06, 06:40 PM
In article om>,
Lesley > wrote:

>> I just made a few new pages...
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba/Bubba.html
>>
>Bubba is lovely! That is one very contented cat!

Bubba says "thanks"...

He even chased the red dot for about half a minute yesterday.

Claude

Claude V. Lucas
March 4th 06, 01:04 AM
In article et>,
D. > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>
>> >Bubba is lovely! That is one very contented cat!
>> >

>> Bubba says "thanks"...
>>
>> He even chased the red dot for about half a minute yesterday.
>
>Had he done that before? Hodge went NUTS over the laser last Saturday.
>He zoomed back and forth about 15 times; by then *I* was bored. :)

First time he ever actually chased it.

He would watch it intently, with an occasional "You gotta
be kidding" glance at me, but never raised a paw at it
till yesterday. He likes a stuffed fish on a line. He'll
play with that till I get tired of moving it. I think
he likes to actually catch something he can feel.

Claude

carola
March 4th 06, 05:59 PM
: >
:
: First time he ever actually chased it.
:
: He would watch it intently, with an occasional "You gotta
: be kidding" glance at me, but never raised a paw at it
: till yesterday. He likes a stuffed fish on a line. He'll
: play with that till I get tired of moving it. I think
: he likes to actually catch something he can feel.
:
: Claude

One of my cats went into the cupboard and stole a little bag of catnip I had
there.
Some of it went onto the carpet.
Now they are absolutely nuts: rolling about the carpet, chasing each other

carola

foxfire718
March 9th 06, 03:32 AM
My cats go absolutely NUTS over..... My room mates bra!

I don't know what she does... maybe she sweats catnip or something, but if
she leaves one on the floor in any room, there will soon be a cat rolling
around on it. Man, if she knew I was posting this in here, I'd be in SO
much trouble. (she is highly embarressed by this)

As for the laser pointers... they have absolutely no interest in it at all..
might as well not even have it on. BIG yawns when that comes out.

Foxfire

"Jaime" > wrote in message
>I think they are the best thing on the planet. Safe used with coman sence.
> "AlexZ" > wrote in message
>> What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
>> Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
>> they are dangerous...

Ajanta
March 9th 06, 06:44 AM
foxfire718 > wrote:

: My cats go absolutely NUTS over..... My room mates bra!

LOL!

: As for the laser pointers... they have absolutely no interest in it at all..

I tried one for my friend, she was interested for about five seconds.

John Fiegel
March 12th 06, 05:09 PM
Hi
I'm joining this discussion a little late, but my 1 1/2 year old LOVES
the red dot. She'll try to chase it up the wall, run up and down the
hallway multiple times. I even had her going around in circles like a
dog chasing its tail. I've gone through 4 sets of batteries in it
already in the past 10 days. As soon as she sees me pick it up, her eyes
light up and she's ready for the chase.

John