PDA

View Full Version : How to stop a 10 month old cat from spraying in my yard?

michele
February 18th 06, 07:53 AM
My neighbor has an outdoor male kitten (10 months) who sprays anything
and everything he walks by, and he is often walking in MY yard !! What
can I do about this ? My neighbor says the cat is not spayed, but he
plans to have it done. Is it too late to stop this cats spraying
behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

NMR
February 18th 06, 02:33 PM
It should stop when it is spayed if your neighbor does not have it done I
would take it to a low cost spay program and have it done for him. get the
wake up shot with it and the furball will be back the same day and the
neighbor probably won't even know it
"michele" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My neighbor has an outdoor male kitten (10 months) who sprays anything
> and everything he walks by, and he is often walking in MY yard !! What
> can I do about this ? My neighbor says the cat is not spayed, but he
> plans to have it done. Is it too late to stop this cats spraying
> behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

Switch
February 18th 06, 02:59 PM
NMR wrote:
> It should stop when it is spayed if your neighbor does not have it done I
...this cats spraying
> > behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

heh heh

whayface
February 18th 06, 03:50 PM
On 17 Feb 2006 22:53:43 -0800, "michele" > wrote:

> My neighbor has an outdoor male kitten (10 months) who sprays anything
>and everything he walks by, and he is often walking in MY yard !! What
>can I do about this ? My neighbor says the cat is not spayed, but he
>plans to have it done. Is it too late to stop this cats spraying
>behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

Male cats = neutered
Female cats = spayed

My babies
http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

MaryL
February 18th 06, 05:18 PM
"michele" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My neighbor has an outdoor male kitten (10 months) who sprays anything
> and everything he walks by, and he is often walking in MY yard !! What
> can I do about this ? My neighbor says the cat is not spayed, but he
> plans to have it done. Is it too late to stop this cats spraying
> behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

Your neighbor's cat needs to be neutered *immediately.* This is not
guaranteed to solve the problem, but there is a good chance that it will.
It may take awhile for you to see the effect. The longer your neighbor
waits, the less likely it is to be effective for the purpose you are
concerned about. This really should have been done *long* ago because your
neighbor's cat is past the age when he could already have become a father
(which produces still more kittens in a world where shelters have to
euthanize most cats that are brought to them).

Let your neighbor know that there are many other benefits. For males the
benefits include:
eliminating testicular tumors,
preventing enlargement of the prostate glands,
and preventing injuries and diseases associated with escaping and roaming.
(Note: I saved this information some time ago from a source that I can no
longer locate on the Internet.)

MaryL

Gail
February 18th 06, 06:16 PM
Yes, this is correct. If the neighbor doesn't do it, take him in yourself
and have him neutered.
Gail
news:[email protected]

> "michele" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> My neighbor has an outdoor male kitten (10 months) who sprays anything
>> and everything he walks by, and he is often walking in MY yard !! What
>> can I do about this ? My neighbor says the cat is not spayed, but he
>> plans to have it done. Is it too late to stop this cats spraying
>> behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.
>>

> Your neighbor's cat needs to be neutered *immediately.* This is not
> guaranteed to solve the problem, but there is a good chance that it will.
> It may take awhile for you to see the effect. The longer your neighbor
> waits, the less likely it is to be effective for the purpose you are
> concerned about. This really should have been done *long* ago because
> your neighbor's cat is past the age when he could already have become a
> father (which produces still more kittens in a world where shelters have
> to euthanize most cats that are brought to them).
>
> Let your neighbor know that there are many other benefits. For males the
> benefits include:
> eliminating testicular tumors,
> preventing enlargement of the prostate glands,
> and preventing injuries and diseases associated with escaping and
> roaming.
> (Note: I saved this information some time ago from a source that I can no
> longer locate on the Internet.)
>
> MaryL

Spot
February 18th 06, 06:53 PM
You know you can get fined for doing this if you know that the animal is not
a stray and belongs to someone? Your neighbor probably wouldn't be upset if
you can get it done for cheaper than they can but I would tell them
especially since the cat has to be watched after the surgery and it
shouldn't be out roaming around

Celeste

"NMR" > wrote in message
> It should stop when it is spayed if your neighbor does not have it done I
> would take it to a low cost spay program and have it done for him. get
> the wake up shot with it and the furball will be back the same day and the
> neighbor probably won't even know it
> "michele" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> My neighbor has an outdoor male kitten (10 months) who sprays anything
>> and everything he walks by, and he is often walking in MY yard !! What
>> can I do about this ? My neighbor says the cat is not spayed, but he
>> plans to have it done. Is it too late to stop this cats spraying
>> behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

-L.
February 19th 06, 10:14 AM
michele wrote:
> My neighbor has an outdoor male kitten (10 months) who sprays anything
> and everything he walks by, and he is often walking in MY yard !! What
> can I do about this ? My neighbor says the cat is not spayed, but he
> plans to have it done. Is it too late to stop this cats spraying
> behavior ? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

Encourage her to get the kitten neutered as that wil possibly curb his
spraying (but may not, now that he has the habit!) Google "garlic" in
the cat groups (alt.cats, and this group) and you will find a remedy.
-L.