PDA

View Full Version : Is this behavior strange or normal?

AlexZ
February 18th 06, 07:03 AM
This refers to my friend's cat. Usually she is quite comfortable with
me, sits on my lap and lets me play with her. However, once in a while,
could even be after having played nice, she gets into this strange
mood: She sits crouched and extremely alert as if hunting or being
hunted (can't tell). If I approach her she darts to the another part of
the house and adopts the same posture. She looks and acts very
cautious, almost alarmed, don't know how else to describe it.

My friend says she does the same even when I am not there, but less
often. As I said, usually she seems to like me and is comfortable with
me. Could it be what I am wearing, clothes or aftershave? Or is it just
normal cat behavior (although mine doesn't seem to do it, so far)?

Patrick I. McCurry
February 18th 06, 08:38 AM
AlexZ > wrote in :

> This refers to my friend's cat. Usually she is quite comfortable
with
> me, sits on my lap and lets me play with her. However, once in a
while,
> could even be after having played nice, she gets into this strange
> mood: She sits crouched and extremely alert as if hunting or being
> hunted (can't tell). If I approach her she darts to the another
part of
> the house and adopts the same posture. She looks and acts very
> cautious, almost alarmed, don't know how else to describe it.
>
> My friend says she does the same even when I am not there, but less
> often. As I said, usually she seems to like me and is comfortable
with
> me. Could it be what I am wearing, clothes or aftershave? Or is it
just
> normal cat behavior (although mine doesn't seem to do it, so far)?

It's most likely a game of pretend.
One of my two cats, Fireball, loves doing this too. She wants to
play tag, and will do it with imaginary creatures if I'm unavailable.
Heck, she's running around the apartment like a lunatic right now.

My other cat prefers to just hang out next to me on the couch showing
only passing interest in toys and play. He just stares at my hand
when I dangle string or other objects for him. He's reasonably smart
just not that imaginative.

Spider
February 18th 06, 11:06 AM
AlexZ > wrote in message
> This refers to my friend's cat. Usually she is quite comfortable with
> me, sits on my lap and lets me play with her. However, once in a while,
> could even be after having played nice, she gets into this strange
> mood: She sits crouched and extremely alert as if hunting or being
> hunted (can't tell). If I approach her she darts to the another part of
> the house and adopts the same posture. She looks and acts very
> cautious, almost alarmed, don't know how else to describe it.
>
> My friend says she does the same even when I am not there, but less
> often. As I said, usually she seems to like me and is comfortable with
> me. Could it be what I am wearing, clothes or aftershave? Or is it just
> normal cat behavior (although mine doesn't seem to do it, so far)?

Hi Alex,

This could be quite normal for her. It sounds very similar to the
submissive, petted cat unexpectedly biting or scratching. This happens when
the cat suddenly realises it is too vulnerable and swiftly corrects the
situation.

Next time this happens, watch her ear posture. If erect or forward, then
she is alert and, possibly, in hunting mode. If her ears are laid flat(ish)
to the side, she is feeling defensive/slightly threatened. If her ears are
flattened and laid back then she is afraid and in 'fight or flight' mode.
If the latter, speak to reassure her, but don't risk handling her - you may
get slashed. Try and find out what is troubling her. If she is this
frightened, then you might suggest to your friend that doors and windows are
kept closed so that she doesn't bolt.

If she is merely alert or defensive, she may have heard something you can't
(or could, but ignored). When my cat Panther hears a noise she doesn't
like, she growls and runs out to kill it! Not a wise move, so I restrain
her if I can. The reaction goes as quickly as it came.

I'm sure it's not anything you're wearing, since she has played nicely with
you just moments before. One possibility is that you have, in play, touched
some part of her that makes her upset. Some cats don't like having their
ears touched .. their tail touched, or their stomach touched. Try and be
aware of what happened just before she displays this reaction.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Do report back.

Regards,
Spider

Ms B
February 18th 06, 01:15 PM
My cats love doing this! Its a game to them...I chase them around the house
(it could be used as a form of exercise for mine),too....As long as they
dont literally attack you malaciously, I,personally, see no problem.

--
Make each day the best it can be!
"Spider" > wrote in message

> AlexZ > wrote in message
>> This refers to my friend's cat. Usually she is quite comfortable with
>> me, sits on my lap and lets me play with her. However, once in a while,
>> could even be after having played nice, she gets into this strange
>> mood: She sits crouched and extremely alert as if hunting or being
>> hunted (can't tell). If I approach her she darts to the another part of
>> the house and adopts the same posture. She looks and acts very
>> cautious, almost alarmed, don't know how else to describe it.
>>
>> My friend says she does the same even when I am not there, but less
>> often. As I said, usually she seems to like me and is comfortable with
>> me. Could it be what I am wearing, clothes or aftershave? Or is it just
>> normal cat behavior (although mine doesn't seem to do it, so far)?
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> This could be quite normal for her. It sounds very similar to the
> submissive, petted cat unexpectedly biting or scratching. This happens
> when
> the cat suddenly realises it is too vulnerable and swiftly corrects the
> situation.
>
> Next time this happens, watch her ear posture. If erect or forward, then
> she is alert and, possibly, in hunting mode. If her ears are laid
> flat(ish)
> to the side, she is feeling defensive/slightly threatened. If her ears
> are
> flattened and laid back then she is afraid and in 'fight or flight' mode.
> If the latter, speak to reassure her, but don't risk handling her - you
> may
> get slashed. Try and find out what is troubling her. If she is this
> frightened, then you might suggest to your friend that doors and windows
> are
> kept closed so that she doesn't bolt.
>
> If she is merely alert or defensive, she may have heard something you
> can't
> (or could, but ignored). When my cat Panther hears a noise she doesn't
> like, she growls and runs out to kill it! Not a wise move, so I restrain
> her if I can. The reaction goes as quickly as it came.
>
> I'm sure it's not anything you're wearing, since she has played nicely
> with
> you just moments before. One possibility is that you have, in play,
> touched
> some part of her that makes her upset. Some cats don't like having their
> ears touched .. their tail touched, or their stomach touched. Try and be
> aware of what happened just before she displays this reaction.
>
> I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Do report back.
>
> Regards,
> Spider

mlbriggs
February 18th 06, 07:02 PM
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:03:47 +0000, AlexZ wrote:

> This refers to my friend's cat. Usually she is quite comfortable with
> me, sits on my lap and lets me play with her. However, once in a while,
> could even be after having played nice, she gets into this strange
> mood: She sits crouched and extremely alert as if hunting or being
> hunted (can't tell). If I approach her she darts to the another part of
> the house and adopts the same posture. She looks and acts very
> cautious, almost alarmed, don't know how else to describe it.
>
> My friend says she does the same even when I am not there, but less
> often. As I said, usually she seems to like me and is comfortable with
> me. Could it be what I am wearing, clothes or aftershave? Or is it just
> normal cat behavior (although mine doesn't seem to do it, so far)?

She may be inviting you to play "hide and seek". Cats love that game.
MLB