PDA

View Full Version : clavamox

wren
February 19th 06, 02:40 AM
Hi, I'm currently going through quite a tough time with my nearly 9month old
cat, Jean-Luc. He's been to the vet, they've ran some tests, and they're
worried that he has a terminal case of FIP. Well, I'm giving him the
antibiotics Clavamox that the vet prescribed in the hopes that Jean-Luc has a
treatable bacterial infection of some kind.
We're nearing day 3 now, and I was just wondering if anybody has used this
drug before, and how quickly I should see results. I know that results may
simply be due to the improvement of a secondary infection that Jean-Luc took
on as a result of being so weak, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any
insight. This wait is killing me...poor little guy is just so tired all the
time, is anemic, etc.
thanks for ANY response

Wendy
February 19th 06, 12:30 PM
"wren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hi, I'm currently going through quite a tough time with my nearly 9month
> old
> cat, Jean-Luc. He's been to the vet, they've ran some tests, and they're
> worried that he has a terminal case of FIP. Well, I'm giving him the
> antibiotics Clavamox that the vet prescribed in the hopes that Jean-Luc
> has a
> treatable bacterial infection of some kind.
> We're nearing day 3 now, and I was just wondering if anybody has used this
> drug before, and how quickly I should see results. I know that results may
> simply be due to the improvement of a secondary infection that Jean-Luc
> took
> on as a result of being so weak, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any
> insight. This wait is killing me...poor little guy is just so tired all
> the
> time, is anemic, etc.
> thanks for ANY response

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your kitty doesn't have FIP and it
turns out to be something treatable.

Clavamox can give kitties diarrhea as can many antibiotics. I suppose they
upset the bacterial balance in the gut and that's what does it. None of the
cats I've given it to have had that problem though so it doesn't always
happen. If the problem is bacterial you should be seeing improvement rather
quickly if the Clavamox is the appropriate antibiotic to address the
problem. In this case if it's a viral infection causing your cat to be sick
the Clavamox probably won't make much difference.

I'm including a link for information on FIP.

http://www.dr-addie.com/WhatIsFIP.htm

Wendy

Barb
February 19th 06, 07:48 PM
My Pepper can't take Clavamox. She totally loses her appetite.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

wren via CatKB.com
February 19th 06, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Last night I noticed that Jean-Luc is spending
alot of time in and out of his litterbox, and it looks like he's constipated.
I've looked into side effects from clavamox, and diarrhea is listed, not
constipation. Also today I've noticed that there are spots on his tummy that
hurt when I stroke them. The tip of his tail wags quite a bit too...my common
sense tells me that his belly must hurt if he's constipated, but I'm not
really sure. I'm waiting for my vet to call me back. I think that today (day
4 of antibiotics) is the day that I should go out and buy a thermometer to
take his temperature, and see once and for all if this is FIP or not. Does
anyone have any advice on the best way to take his rectal temperature? I've
never done it, and I have to admit I am both eagerly awaiting, yet dreading,
what I find out.

This is all too scary. And sad too.

Thanks again for your tips and encouragement, and the website link too.

LMR via CatKB.com
February 19th 06, 11:46 PM
>Thanks for all the feedback. Last night I noticed that Jean-Luc is spending
>alot of time in and out of his litterbox, and it looks like he's constipated.

Is he urinating?

>really sure. I'm waiting for my vet to call me back. I think that today (day
>4 of antibiotics) is the day that I should go out and buy a thermometer to
>take his temperature, and see once and for all if this is FIP or not. Does
>anyone have any advice on the best way to take his rectal temperature? I've
>never done it, and I have to admit I am both eagerly awaiting, yet dreading,
>what I find out.

Oh dear, that might not be easy; he might not sit still enough for you to do
that. At the vet's they just sit there when it's being done cause they're
probably scared to be there. I think they put something on the thermometer -
vaseline? And they hold it in there for quite awhile. Does the vet think
your cat has wet or dry FIP?

LMR

wren via CatKB.com
February 20th 06, 03:27 AM
Wet or dry? The vet examined him on thursday morning and said that his
abdomen seemed normal, and not showing signs of fluid accumulation, which
would be the wet form. So, although the vet isn't even sure, if it is FIP,
it's the dry form.

I don't know if he's urinating. How can I monitor that? Also, I'm not sure
that I should take his temperature if he's constipated. Will that be
extremely painful?

It took me about 15 minutes tonight to get him to drink water. Thank god he
finally did. I've decided that he's only getting wet food from now on (warmed
up and with a little added water), due to its high water content. I still
don't know what to think about the sensitivity he has on his lower body. This
only came up yesterday and today, and it's not so bad that he won't ever let
me touch him. It's on occasion that he cries out when I softly pat him on his
belly, lower back, or tail, and in a way that he never has before. The vet
didn't call me back today, so I'll keep trying tomorrow.

I don't know if I'm fooling myself into thinking he's getting better, but it
seems like although he hasn't shown any drastic improvement since taking
clavamox, he does seem to be more alert. Not playing like he used to, but at
least noticing when my feet are tapping to music, or when my fingers are
fidgeting. Also, for a couple of mornings in a row now he's purred as we've
cuddled in bed, for the first time in days.

Hopefully the vet will give me some advice about his abdomen pain tomorrow.

LMR via CatKB.com
February 20th 06, 03:36 AM
>I don't know if he's urinating. How can I monitor that? Also, I'm not sure
>that I should take his temperature if he's constipated. Will that be
>extremely painful?

Just make sure there's urine in the box every day and a fair amount, not just
little drops. If there is, you know it's constipation rather than a urinary
tract infection. Maybe wait until tomorrow and ask vet about the temperature
taking rather than attempt it tonight.

>don't know what to think about the sensitivity he has on his lower body. This
>only came up yesterday and today, and it's not so bad that he won't ever let
>me touch him. It's on occasion that he cries out when I softly pat him on his
>belly, lower back, or tail, and in a way that he never has before. The vet
>didn't call me back today, so I'll keep trying tomorrow.
>Hopefully the vet will give me some advice about his abdomen pain tomorrow.

Ahh, poor little guy. Hope he's okay. Let us know how it goes after you
talk to vet.

LMR

wren via CatKB.com
February 23rd 06, 09:03 PM
Well, here's the update. On day 5 of taking Clavamox, Jean-Luc vomitted three
times, twice within a couple hours of eating and taking his pill. At this
point I decided that I wasn't going to put him through that anymore, so I
stopped giving him his meds. He hasn't vomitted since. I also noticed that
he's having bowel movements, so that's good. The day after stopping his pills
I took his temperature and he was at 40.4, exactly the same as when we
visited the vet a few days earlier. I felt really sad about this, mainly
because the vet was pretty pessimistic about Jean-Luc's chances if this were
the case.

The funny thing is, while he was getting his meds Jean-Luc did seem a little
bit better, at least a little more alert, and less lethargic. And since I
took him off the anitbiotics he's doing MUCH better. I mean, he's not a hyper
little guy like he used to be, but he's definitely interested in what's going
on around him, purrs on occasion, doesn't sleep all day, and has even played
(albeit very briefly). He's also more interested in his food.

Right now his symptoms like loss of appettite and lethargy are noticeably
improved. The only thing that has remained the same or worsened are his eyes.
They are always runny, and his third eyelids can sometimes be very apparent.
Also, he has developed a little line under each eye, like his eyes are
sinking into his head. He looks old.

I don't get it. So I think I'm just going to take his temperature again in
the next couple of days, and see if his fever has gone down.

wren via CatKB.com
February 23rd 06, 09:45 PM
Oh yes, and he definitely still has jaundice.

LMR via CatKB.com
February 23rd 06, 09:59 PM
>Well, here's the update. On day 5 of taking Clavamox, Jean-Luc vomitted three
>times, twice within a couple hours of eating and taking his pill. At this
>point I decided that I wasn't going to put him through that anymore, so I
>stopped giving him his meds. He hasn't vomitted since. I also noticed that
>he's having bowel movements, so that's good. The day after stopping his pills

The Clamavox was probably making him feel unwell; they can do that.

Here is a link with replys by a vet to people with FIP questions:

http://www.vetinfo.com/cfip.html

The only kind of FIP I've seen is the wet kind so unfortunately I don't know
much about the dry. Maybe there will be some useful info. from the vet in
that link. By the way, you are wonderful for taking care of him and trying
to help him; he was lucky to have found you.

LMR