PDA

View Full Version : losing fur

hawk
February 19th 06, 10:23 AM
My young cat, about one year old, had a large chunk of his fur come off near
his neck, leaving a bare skin area about the size of a quarter What can
cause this? There are two other cats in the house. They never go out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Wendy
February 19th 06, 12:54 PM
I'd take the cat to the vet to get it checked. It could be ringworm, could
be an allergy. could be a lot of things including stress. It's probably
nothing earth shattering but if it's contagious your other cats could get it
to so it's best to find out exactly what your dealing with. Not cause to
call the emergency vet but I'd set up an appointment as soon as I could.

"hawk" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My young cat, about one year old, had a large chunk of his fur come off
> near his neck, leaving a bare skin area about the size of a quarter What
> can cause this? There are two other cats in the house. They never go out.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Morgen
February 19th 06, 03:30 PM
Wendy wrote:
> I'd take the cat to the vet to get it checked. It could be ringworm, could
> be an allergy. could be a lot of things including stress. It's probably
> nothing earth shattering but if it's contagious your other cats could get it
> to so it's best to find out exactly what your dealing with. Not cause to
> call the emergency vet but I'd set up an appointment as soon as I could.

> "hawk" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > My young cat, about one year old, had a large chunk of his fur come off
> > near his neck, leaving a bare skin area about the size of a quarter What
> > can cause this? There are two other cats in the house. They never go out.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks

Have you put any flea stuff on him lately? I just had a complaint
about the Purrscriptions Spot On Flea Control stuff that caused the
same reaction at my website. If the stuff is too strong for the cat's
weight, it can cause a reaction and if it's too mild for the weight, it
may not be effective. In this case, it sounded like the preparation
was both too mild and the cat had a reaction. Wash the cat with a damp
cloth and mild shampoo to get any preparation off and then let the
fleas take over again. Then use something else. You can use a mild
flea wipe to weaken the fleas, but I wouldn't use another drop
preparation for a while.

Toni
February 19th 06, 04:50 PM
"hawk" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My young cat, about one year old, had a large chunk of his fur come off
> near his neck, leaving a bare skin area about the size of a quarter What
> can cause this? There are two other cats in the house. They never go out.

If the bare skin is healthy and smooth I would suspect that a mat had been
pulled out.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

hawk
February 19th 06, 09:29 PM
Thanks, that's prolly it. Will the fur grow back?

> If the bare skin is healthy and smooth I would suspect that a mat had been
> pulled out.
>

> --
> Toni
> http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

February 19th 06, 11:16 PM
In <[email protected]>, on 02/19/06
at 10:23 AM, "hawk" > said:

>My young cat, about one year old, had a large chunk of his fur come off
>near his neck, leaving a bare skin area about the size of a quarter
>What can cause this? There are two other cats in the house. They never
>go out.

If he scratched it off, it could be because he's allergic to something
(like a food ingredient.)

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Toni
February 20th 06, 01:08 AM
"hawk" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks, that's prolly it. Will the fur grow back?
>

>> If the bare skin is healthy and smooth I would suspect that a mat had
>> been pulled out.

Yes, it will grow back.