PDA

View Full Version : Claw clipping and bad behavior...

Telecomdani@aol.com
February 20th 06, 12:32 PM
So my guy has never liked getting his claws clipped. But after a nice
meal and a nap on my lap I was always able to get a few claws done a
night. (I have never been able to get to his back claws). The last few
times I have tried to clip his claws he has grabbed my hand with his
teeth. He hasn't bitten - just grabbed. I do not like this behavior
at all. Any suggestions on both getting the claws clipped and dealing
with this behavior?

Alison
February 20th 06, 03:43 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> So my guy has never liked getting his claws clipped. But after a nice
> meal and a nap on my lap I was always able to get a few claws done a
> night. (I have never been able to get to his back claws). The last few
> times I have tried to clip his claws he has grabbed my hand with his
> teeth. He hasn't bitten - just grabbed. I do not like this behavior
> at all. Any suggestions on both getting the claws clipped and dealing
> with this behavior?>>.

I don't bother clipping my cats claws , she wouldn't let me anyway. If
she had to have it done, I would get the vet nurse to do it.
Your cat's trying to tell you he doesn't like having his nails clipped.
Grabbing your hand is a warning. If he wanted to hurt you he would bite.
You could try rewarding him with treats when you clip to make it more
pleasant for him.
Alison

Wendy
February 20th 06, 04:52 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> So my guy has never liked getting his claws clipped. But after a nice
> meal and a nap on my lap I was always able to get a few claws done a
> night. (I have never been able to get to his back claws). The last few
> times I have tried to clip his claws he has grabbed my hand with his
> teeth. He hasn't bitten - just grabbed. I do not like this behavior
> at all. Any suggestions on both getting the claws clipped and dealing
> with this behavior?

Can you get someone to help you? One person clips while the other pets
kitty. Make it a pleasant experience.

You might not be able to clip them all at once. Do as many as kitty will put
up with and get some more later or the next day. If you keep at it you
eventually get them all done.

PawsForThought
February 20th 06, 05:35 PM
wrote:
> Any suggestions on both getting the claws clipped and dealing
> with this behavior?

Wait till he's sleepy. Then sit him on your lap, like you would a
child. You might also want to try wrapping him a towel, burrito like,
and extend one paw at a time for trimming. They also make a product
called Klaw Kontrol Bag which you can google.

Telecomdani@aol.com
February 21st 06, 12:01 AM
Hi Wendy

He had a tough start in life and doesn't trust my husband and I
together. It makes these things even more difficult. Of the two of us,
he tolerates me most.

He is at a point, where he won't even let us touch his paws....

Wendy wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> Can you get someone to help you? One person clips while the other pets
> kitty. Make it a pleasant experience.
>
> You might not be able to clip them all at once. Do as many as kitty will put
> up with and get some more later or the next day. If you keep at it you
> eventually get them all done.

friesian@zoocrewphoto.com
February 21st 06, 12:31 AM
wrote:
> Hi Wendy
>
> He had a tough start in life and doesn't trust my husband and I
> together. It makes these things even more difficult. Of the two of us,
> he tolerates me most.
>
> He is at a point, where he won't even let us touch his paws....

Every day, pick him up, love him, and touch his feet. Mess with his
toes. If he is good, praise him like crazy. If he is bad, give him a
firm no, and hold him still for a minute. Nothing agressive, just firm
and consistent.

Jay Jay came as a shelter cat. He had not had his mails done before I
got him, that anybody knows about. The shelter only had him 2 weeks,
and his nails were pretty sharp when I got him. He looked surprised but
tolerated it.

After about 8 months, he decided he was safe in his new home, and he
could now argue about things he did not like. The first time, he
swatted the clippers out of my hand. Whacked them right across the
room. The second time, he kicked me hard and swatted at my hand,
resulting in a scratch.

My response? I held him for a couple minutes in an uncomfortable
position. I told him very firmly that we do this my way, and then I
finished his nails.

The next time, he tried a few kicks, and we took a few firm timeouts. I
started handling his toes avery day after that and praising him for
good behavior. After that, all he does is pout. He has a very cute
miserable expression, but he does not kick or struggle in any way.

clifto
February 24th 06, 05:02 PM
wrote:
> The last few
> times I have tried to clip his claws he has grabbed my hand with his
> teeth. He hasn't bitten - just grabbed. I do not like this behavior
> at all. Any suggestions on both getting the claws clipped and dealing
> with this behavior?

Yes. Teach him to say, "Don't mess with my feet, I don't LIKE that!" in
English. They way things are, the nip is the only way he has of communicating
that idea.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.