PDA

View Full Version : CRF cat vomiting after fluids

Corey Kaye
February 23rd 06, 07:23 AM
Ah, the joys of managing a CRF cat ;)

Ginger is on 100 cc's of Normosol-R sub-q twice a week. Approximately 10
minutes after fluids she vomits bile or a small amount of food and bile, 3
or 4 times.

I am experienced in administering fluids to felines--worked for a vet for
several years. I'm using a 20g 3/4" needle, and running the fluids over ~5
minutes.

A run-down of her history from a previous post follows this post.

Anyone else experience this? Anything in particular I should ask my vet?

This page: http://www.felinecrf.org/fluid_therapy.htm#normosol says vomiting
after normosol-r is not unusual.

Thanks,

Corey

> She's an 8 year old DSH that, I believe, is highly inbred. I got her
> from my hay guy, and she has several issues: missing teeth, poor
> vision, oddly shaped legs and head, and her kidneys are about half
> normal size.
>
> Her creatinine is 3.1, down from 3.7, which is down from 3.9. Her
> phosphorus levels are low; her calcium levels are slightly elevated.
> The creatinine labs are at roughly two week intervals. Initial labs
> were drawn prior to a tooth extraction (one dead tooth in a mouthful
> of nice healthy ones.) Urine was pulled at the time of the tooth
> extraction and she was found to have a raging kidney infection, and
> we put her on 2 weeks of Clavimox. Urine collected after the
> antibiotics showed nothing abnormal.
>
> Two weeks ago, we switched Ginger from Innova dry food to Royal Canin
> Mature 27, and started with 100cc's sub-q twice a week. She's now
> eating RC Renal LP.
>
> I plan on pulling another set of labs in about a month, to see what
> direction we're heading. She's acting more like a normal kitty since
> we resolved the kidney infection and added the fluids. I'm not sure
> how the food is affecting her, but figure it must be helping her
> kidneys.
>
> She's in good weight--certainly not overweight, but not thin, either.

Phil P.
February 23rd 06, 08:35 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ah, the joys of managing a CRF cat ;)
>
> Ginger is on 100 cc's of Normosol-R sub-q twice a week. Approximately 10
> minutes after fluids she vomits bile or a small amount of food and bile, 3
> or 4 times.
>
> I am experienced in administering fluids to felines--worked for a vet for
> several years. I'm using a 20g 3/4" needle, and running the fluids over
~5
> minutes.
>
> A run-down of her history from a previous post follows this post.
>
> Anyone else experience this? Anything in particular I should ask my vet?

Try warming up the fluid to body temp. Put the bag in a sink of hot water
for about 15 mins.while your getting the venoset ready- don't use a
microwave. Also, you might want to try slowing the infusion rate or
splitting the 100 ml into two treatments.

Normosol-R contains magnesium- did your vet specifically prescribe
Normosol-R?

Corey Kaye
February 23rd 06, 09:21 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> Try warming up the fluid to body temp. Put the bag in a sink of hot
> water for about 15 mins.while your getting the venoset ready- don't

Yup, already doing this.

> use a microwave. Also, you might want to try slowing the infusion
> rate or splitting the 100 ml into two treatments.

I'll try slowing the infusion rate and see if that helps. I'd like to avoid
poking her twice, poor kitty, but will if I need to.

> Normosol-R contains magnesium- did your vet specifically prescribe
> Normosol-R?

Yup, picked it up directly from the vet.

Thanks,

Corey