PDA

View Full Version : Is Exercise Enough?

CatNipped
February 23rd 06, 04:22 PM
I have one cat - a 16-year-old - who is at her proper weight; two cats - a
6-year-old and a 7-year-old - who are a bit underweight (healthy, just
petite); and one cat - a 2-year-old - who is about a pound or two
overweight. They all eat together and there is no way for me to feed them
separately*. They get about 1/4 cup (or less) of Science Diet Senior
Advanced Formula Dry - free fed (about 1/16th cup per day for each cat).
They also get 4 cans of Fancy Feast (4 different flavors placed in a buffet
of 4 different bowls) every 12 hours (two 3 oz. cans per day for each cat) -
but they don't eat it at the same time, they tend to browse on it for a
couple of hours, taking turns, each taking a few bites, going away, then
coming back to take a few more bites**.

* I'm afraid to pick up the food after a limited time (which would have to
be done if I fed them separately) - I wouldn't know if my two light-weights
would get enough food (especially the shy 7-year-old who waits for everybody
else to eat before she eats).

** They always have leftovers, leaving about 1/8th to 1/4th can in each
bowl.

My question is, since I can't reduce the food intake of my pudgy one, will
encouraging her to exercise more be enough to help her lose weight? She
loves to play with a feather on the end of a furry string on the end of a
pole toy - she'll jump up in the air after it time after time for 15 - 20
minutes at a time. When she is too tired she just quits, there is no
over-exertion, no panting. How many times a day should I "work her out"?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Barb
February 23rd 06, 05:38 PM
My little almost three year old demands we play with the mouse on a string
after breakfast and after dinner. We play about 5 minutes and quit because
I want to. She's average weight so that's not part of the equation. She
probably would go on playing a lot longer if I were game.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Mathew Kagis
February 23rd 06, 10:31 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message

> * I'm afraid to pick up the food after a limited time (which would have to
> be done if I fed them separately) - I wouldn't know if my two
light-weights
> would get enough food (especially the shy 7-year-old who waits for
everybody
> else to eat before she eats).

All the books I've read, especially the ones from 'natural & organic' cat
experts say 15 min & then take the food away, there's no danger in fasting
cats for a few days, their metabolism is geared for it. The shy one will
figure it out pretty quickly, I'd wager... as will the others.

> My question is, since I can't reduce the food intake of my pudgy one, will
> encouraging her to exercise more be enough to help her lose weight?

Most likely... Just takes time & energy on your part.... Now, as I
remember, you're an indoor only catmom, so please don't take offence when I
say: Mine seem to get enough exersize running around outside.... &
wrestling with eachother & playing with me inside.
Good luck
--
Mathew
Butler to 3 cats: Chablis, Muscat & Sage

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 23rd 06, 10:39 PM
>I have one cat - a 16-year-old - who is at her proper weight; two cats - a
>6-year-old and a 7-year-old - who are a bit underweight (healthy, just
>petite); and one cat - a 2-year-old - who is about a pound or two
>overweight. They all eat together and there is no way for me to feed them
>separately*. They get about 1/4 cup (or less) of Science Diet Senior

NEVER fast cats as per one of your replys, particularly overweight cats for a
few days. Here are just a few links:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=hepatic+lipidosis&meta=
http://www.vetinfo.com/cencyclopedia/cehepatlip.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hepatic_lipidosis.html
http://www.felinediabetes.com/hepatic.htm

Also, I wouldn't leave the food down for only 15 minutes; that is rushing
them to finish. The smaller cats may not get enough food this way and not
enough protein or calories may affect their liver over time. The larger cat
can be exercised more, at least 2 x per day. Maybe try running around with
the toy and get her to run after it too. And it's not like the overweight
one is very overweight, only one or two pounds which is good. If she were 5-
10 pounds overweight that would be a different story.

NanCe

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 23rd 06, 10:41 PM
>experts say 15 min & then take the food away, there's no danger in fasting
>cats for a few days, their metabolism is geared for it. The shy one will
>figure it out pretty quickly, I'd wager... as will the others.

You should never fast a cat, particularly an overweight one, for a few days;
you need to read up on hepatic lipidosis. Overweight cats are at particular
risk for developing this.

NanCe

Mathew Kagis
February 23rd 06, 11:13 PM
"NanCe via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >experts say 15 min & then take the food away, there's no danger in
fasting
> >cats for a few days, their metabolism is geared for it. The shy one will
> >figure it out pretty quickly, I'd wager... as will the others.
>
> You should never fast a cat, particularly an overweight one, for a few
days;
> you need to read up on hepatic lipidosis. Overweight cats are at
particular
> risk for developing this.
>
> NanCe

NanCe: Thanks.... Was'nt aware of that particular complication.... So much
to learn...So little time...
--
Mathew
Butler to 3 cats: Chablis, Muscat & Sage
En Vino Veritas

CatNipped
February 23rd 06, 11:28 PM
"NanCe via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >I have one cat - a 16-year-old - who is at her proper weight; two cats -
>>6-year-old and a 7-year-old - who are a bit underweight (healthy, just
>>petite); and one cat - a 2-year-old - who is about a pound or two
>>overweight. They all eat together and there is no way for me to feed them
>>separately*. They get about 1/4 cup (or less) of Science Diet Senior
>
> NEVER fast cats as per one of your replys, particularly overweight cats
> for a
> few days. Here are just a few links:
>
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=hepatic+lipidosis&meta=
> http://www.vetinfo.com/cencyclopedia/cehepatlip.html
> http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hepatic_lipidosis.html
> http://www.felinediabetes.com/hepatic.htm

No, I knew about hepatic lipidosis already - I would never fast a cat. If I
could go the reduced calorie route I know to do it *very* gradually. But,
because of the situation and some reasons listed below, I can't go that
route.

> Also, I wouldn't leave the food down for only 15 minutes; that is rushing
> them to finish. The smaller cats may not get enough food this way and not
> enough protein or calories may affect their liver over time.

That's my worry. My other three cats *definitely* don't need to lose so
much as an ounce (the 16-year-old isn't underweight, she's maybe even a
couple of ounces over her ideal weight, but, given her age, I like her to
have a little "padding" in case she gets ill).

Sammy is my little chubby. She is a rescue like my other cats, but by looks
and temperment I'd have to say she has 99.99999% Maine Coon in her ancestry.
She is *huge* over all (here is a picture of her with 7.5 pound Jessie:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Jessie17/ - here is a closer picture
of her: http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy28/, or:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy26/, or:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Squirrel/). She's tall enough to
stand on my kitchen floor put her front paws on my counter top!

So, being so very much Maine Coon, she may continue to grow for another year
or two (she's two now and MCs supposedly keep growing for the first 3 to 5
years of their life). If she is continuing to grow, I especially don't want
to limit her calories at the expense of needed bone and muscle. She weighs
15 pounds, but would probably do better at 14 pounds to get rid of some of
the fat around her rib cage.

> The larger cat
> can be exercised more, at least 2 x per day. Maybe try running around with
> the toy and get her to run after it too. And it's not like the
> overweight
> one is very overweight, only one or two pounds which is good. If she were
> 5-
> 10 pounds overweight that would be a different story.

She loves to play chase with me - we take turns chasing each other all
through the house and up and down stairs (it's so cute that when it's her
turn to chase me she taps me on the back of the legs with her paws as if to
say, "You're it!". I can't do this as much as she would need to lose weight
though, I get tired too fast (at 54, I can't outrun a kitten any more)! ;>

Thanks for the advice, NanCe - any other suggestions you have would be
gratefully recieved.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> NanCe

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 23rd 06, 11:52 PM
>NanCe: Thanks.... Was'nt aware of that particular complication.... So much
>to learn...So little time...

You're welcome. I saw a cat develop it at a shelter and ever since, I tell
people to watch to make sure an overweight cat doesn't stop eating abruptly
(she was really scared there and had quit eating) and not to put them on
crash diets either; they have to lose weight very slowly. No big deal you
didn't know this - neither did I when I started volunteering there. I know
what you mean about so much to learn; I was given some health books on cats
and OMG, they can get so many things, just like people. It boggled my mind.
I can see why vets are kept so busy!

NanCe

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 24th 06, 12:08 AM
>Sammy is my little chubby. She is a rescue like my other cats, but by looks
>and temperment I'd have to say she has 99.99999% Maine Coon in her ancestry.
>She is *huge* over all (here is a picture of her with 7.5 pound Jessie:
>http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Jessie17/ - here is a closer picture
>of her: http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy28/, or:
>http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy26/, or:
>http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Squirrel/). She's tall enough to
>stand on my kitchen floor put her front paws on my counter top!

She is so cute! Maybe it's just me but she doesn't look that big to me,
maybe because she's lying down(?) although she is only 2 years old and as
you said, could get bigger in the years to come. I know it's really tough
when you have more than one cat to feed. I had the same problem - one of my
cats was 7 lbs while the other was 14 lbs. So I would pick up the food so
the 14 lb wouldn't eat all day but then I worried about the 7 lb one not
getting enough calories so after awhile I quit picking up the food. It is 14
years later and my 14 lb girl is still 14 lbs but is okay - no diabetes or
heart disease (thank goodness). I think that some cats are always going to
have weight problems and some are lucky and are slim (just like humans).
When she was only 6 months old, she already had a hanging belly (we didn't
overfeed her) but my 7 lb one was super slim at 6 months.

>She loves to play chase with me - we take turns chasing each other all
>through the house and up and down stairs (it's so cute that when it's her
>turn to chase me she taps me on the back of the legs with her paws as if to
>say, "You're it!". I can't do this as much as she would need to lose weight
>though, I get tired too fast (at 54, I can't outrun a kitten any more)! ;>

You know, this may be the thing that helps. My 14 lb one hardly ever
exercised; I tried to get her to but she hated it. You're lucky your's likes
it. Keep it up; don't let her become lazy as she gets older.

NanCe

Claude V. Lucas
February 24th 06, 12:27 AM
In article <[email protected]>, NanCe via CatKB.com <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Sammy is my little chubby. She is a rescue like my other cats, but by looks
>>and temperment I'd have to say she has 99.99999% Maine Coon in her ancestry.
>>She is *huge* over all (here is a picture of her with 7.5 pound Jessie:
>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Jessie17/ - here is a closer picture
>>of her: http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy28/, or:
>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy26/, or:
>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Squirrel/). She's tall enough to
>>stand on my kitchen floor put her front paws on my counter top!
>
>She is so cute! Maybe it's just me but she doesn't look that big to me,
>maybe because she's lying down(?) although she is only 2 years old and as
>you said, could get bigger in the years to come. I know it's really tough
>when you have more than one cat to feed. I had the same problem - one of my
>cats was 7 lbs while the other was 14 lbs. So I would pick up the food so
>the 14 lb wouldn't eat all day but then I worried about the 7 lb one not
>getting enough calories so after awhile I quit picking up the food. It is 14
>years later and my 14 lb girl is still 14 lbs but is okay - no diabetes or
>heart disease (thank goodness). I think that some cats are always going to
>have weight problems and some are lucky and are slim (just like humans).
>When she was only 6 months old, she already had a hanging belly (we didn't
>overfeed her) but my 7 lb one was super slim at 6 months.
>
>>She loves to play chase with me - we take turns chasing each other all
>>through the house and up and down stairs (it's so cute that when it's her
>>turn to chase me she taps me on the back of the legs with her paws as if to
>>say, "You're it!". I can't do this as much as she would need to lose weight
>>though, I get tired too fast (at 54, I can't outrun a kitten any more)! ;>
>
>You know, this may be the thing that helps. My 14 lb one hardly ever
>exercised; I tried to get her to but she hated it. You're lucky your's likes
>it. Keep it up; don't let her become lazy as she gets older.
>

>NanCe
>
>--

Pretty cat.

I think Maine Coons can handle a bit of extra weight
without being obese, although it's not at all a scientific
opinion. Bubba's 23Lbs+ and from some angles looks
like he swallowed a baseball, but he is very solid and
not really flabby or anything. My occasional jokes
aside he can move the bulk around the house at an
amazing speed when he feels like it and has no problem
jumping up on (my) stomach high surfaces. He doesn't get
a lot of exercise other than 5 or 10 minutes of chasing
a stuffed fish on a string once or twice a day. I've
put him on a strict ration of Royal Canin MC Kibble
in the amount recommended on the bag for weight reduction
and he still seems to be growing. He's a rescue kitty too,
so I don't really know how old he is. The shelter said 2-3
years, the vet said 2-5 years...

Anybody know how to measure body fat on a cat?

What *is* the proper body fat for a cat?

Claude

CatNipped
February 24th 06, 01:42 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> [...]
> without being obese, although it's not at all a scientific
> opinion. Bubba's 23Lbs+ and from some angles looks
> like he swallowed a baseball, but he is very solid and
> not really flabby or anything. My occasional jokes
> aside he can move the bulk around the house at an
> amazing speed when he feels like it and has no problem
> jumping up on (my) stomach high surfaces. He doesn't get
> a lot of exercise other than 5 or 10 minutes of chasing
> a stuffed fish on a string once or twice a day. I've
> put him on a strict ration of Royal Canin MC Kibble
> in the amount recommended on the bag for weight reduction
> and he still seems to be growing. He's a rescue kitty too,
> so I don't really know how old he is. The shelter said 2-3
> years, the vet said 2-5 years...
>
> Anybody know how to measure body fat on a cat?
>
> What *is* the proper body fat for a cat?

Not other than just by sight. Here is Purina's web site page on the
subject: http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm

According to this, Sammy would fall between 5 and 7 (leaning more towards a
7) - overweight, but not obese (yet!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
February 24th 06, 02:05 AM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:

>>>She is so cute! Maybe it's just me but she doesn't look that big to me,
>>>maybe because she's lying down(?) although she is only 2 years old and as
>>>you said, could get bigger in the years to come. I know it's really tough
>>>when you have more than one cat to feed. I had the same problem - one of
>>>my
>>>cats was 7 lbs while the other was 14 lbs. So I would pick up the food so
>>>the 14 lb wouldn't eat all day but then I worried about the 7 lb one not
>>>getting enough calories so after awhile I quit picking up the food. It is
>>>14
>>>years later and my 14 lb girl is still 14 lbs but is okay - no diabetes or
>>>heart disease (thank goodness). I think that some cats are always going
>>>have weight problems and some are lucky and are slim (just like humans).
>>>When she was only 6 months old, she already had a hanging belly (we didn't
>>>overfeed her) but my 7 lb one was super slim at 6 months.

>>>You know, this may be the thing that helps. My 14 lb one hardly ever
>>>exercised; I tried to get her to but she hated it. You're lucky your's
>>>likes
>>>it. Keep it up; don't let her become lazy as she gets older.
>>>

>>>NanCe
>>>
>>>--
>>
>> Pretty cat.
>>
>> I think Maine Coons can handle a bit of extra weight
>> without being obese, although it's not at all a scientific
>> opinion. Bubba's 23Lbs+ and from some angles looks
>> like he swallowed a baseball, but he is very solid and
>> not really flabby or anything. My occasional jokes
>> aside he can move the bulk around the house at an
>> amazing speed when he feels like it and has no problem
>> jumping up on (my) stomach high surfaces. He doesn't get
>> a lot of exercise other than 5 or 10 minutes of chasing
>> a stuffed fish on a string once or twice a day. I've
>> put him on a strict ration of Royal Canin MC Kibble
>> in the amount recommended on the bag for weight reduction
>> and he still seems to be growing. He's a rescue kitty too,
>> so I don't really know how old he is. The shelter said 2-3
>> years, the vet said 2-5 years...
>>
>> Anybody know how to measure body fat on a cat?
>>
>> What *is* the proper body fat for a cat?
>>

>> Claude
>
>Not other than just by sight. Here is Purina's web site page on the
>subject: http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm
>
>According to this, Sammy would fall between 5 and 7 (leaning more towards a
>7) - overweight, but not obese (yet!).
>
>Hugs,
>
>CatNipped

Ouch.

According to that chart, Bubba's an easy 8 according to the picture.

He just doesn't seem to be *that* fat in person. Just big. He's mostly
solid with a floppy belly hang. He definately has a waist between
his belly and back legs. I still think MCs are more able to tote
around extra that would be too much on a slimmer breed, but again,
that's an uneducated opinion.

Going by the feeding chart at

http://www.feline-nutrition.com/mainecoon.htm

He's *way* too big according to the silhuettes. He's definately
the one on the end. I've been feeding him the recommended
90 gram cup of Royal Canin for the over 20Lb butterball split
into 3 feedings, but he's still growing. He seems to be OK with
that amount of food. Any less and he gets a bad attitude. If I
forget the portion before bedtime he wakes me up at 4:30AM by
licking my eyelids while I'm sleeping. :^)

Claude

Anna via CatKB.com
February 24th 06, 04:10 AM
>he wakes me up at 4:30AM by
>licking my eyelids while I'm sleeping. :^)

Ahhhhh, ever cute! (although that's probably not what you're thinking when
that bristly, wet little tongue is scraping your eyelids at 4:30 in the
morning)

Anna

Claude V. Lucas
February 24th 06, 04:22 AM
In article <[email protected]>, Anna via CatKB.com <[email protected]> wrote:
>>he wakes me up at 4:30AM by
>>licking my eyelids while I'm sleeping. :^)
>
>Ahhhhh, ever cute! (although that's probably not what you're thinking when
>that bristly, wet little tongue is scraping your eyelids at 4:30 in the
>morning)

Wet Sandpaper...

I'm getting better about remembering to leave food out before I go to bed.

:^)

Claude