PDA

View Full Version : Neutered Alpha Male Cat keeps biting spayed female cat

Rechelle
February 23rd 06, 09:29 PM
My oldest cat, Shadow, is almost seven years old and is the alpha cat in the
household. The other cats have never tried to take that status from him.

The problem I am having is that he continually kinda mounts and bites my
oldest female cat, Ebby (she's almost seven also, they grew up together), on
the neck until I chase him off. She will not defend herself against him.
Shadow has no fear and punishments don't work on him.

How can I deter this behaviour? Shadow doesn't do it to the other females
in the house, nor to my male kitten. I'm concerned about this because
Stormy is starting to try to do it to one of the other cats, imitating
Shadow.

All the cats are in excellent health and have been checked out by my vet.
He can't figure out why Shadow is doing this, so I'm hoping that someone
here can help me with this.

Thanks!

Priscilla H. Ballou
February 24th 06, 10:02 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
"Rechelle" > wrote:

> My oldest cat, Shadow, is almost seven years old and is the alpha cat in the
> household. The other cats have never tried to take that status from him.
>
> The problem I am having is that he continually kinda mounts and bites my
> oldest female cat, Ebby (she's almost seven also, they grew up together), on
> the neck until I chase him off. She will not defend herself against him.
> Shadow has no fear and punishments don't work on him.
>
> How can I deter this behaviour? Shadow doesn't do it to the other females
> in the house, nor to my male kitten. I'm concerned about this because
> Stormy is starting to try to do it to one of the other cats, imitating
> Shadow.
>
> All the cats are in excellent health and have been checked out by my vet.
> He can't figure out why Shadow is doing this, so I'm hoping that someone
> here can help me with this.

It's just dominance behavior. By pseudo-mounting another cats, the
hierarchy is demonstrated and reinforced -- or adjusted.

Priscilla