PDA

View Full Version : lethargy: a normal reaction to vaccination?

Catskill Cat Lover
February 25th 06, 12:19 AM
Took my 7-9 month old cat to the vet for a general exam and the vet gave her
a FVRCP booster and an oral dose of Stronrid-T (Pyrantel Pamoate). A week
after the visit, this very lively kitty became lethargic, sleeping most of
the day (when before the visit to the vet she could keep us up all night) and
eats, but with reduced appetite. Does not pester us at meal time like she
used to. She has stopped jumping on the counters, window sills, etc. She
doesn't play or frisk anymore with her brother. She has been like this for 5-
7 days (we took her to the vet Feb 11).

Could it be a reaction to the vaccine?

There has been no other change in her feeding, evironment or in any other
routine. The only difference was the visit to the vet and the administration
of the drugs.

We will talk to the vet tomorrow, but we are wary of getting a straight
answer. We paid double what we were told it would cost for the exam and
medications, so we are not feeling warm and fuzzy about vet.

Buddy
February 25th 06, 01:27 AM
Please ask the vet about this, but if you have a sensitive kitty, it
could be normal for her/him. My kitty is really upset for a month or
two after a vet visit. They are all different. Good luck.

Rhonda
February 25th 06, 02:08 AM
It just seems strange to me that it would start so much later. Our cats
were really done for about a day after their initial vaccinations. I was
told that the distemper vaccination can cause a fever for a short time.

I would at least talk to that vet about it, but I'd be tempted to take
her to another vet to see what might be going on -- especially if you
don't trust the first one.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Catskill Cat Lover wrote:

> Took my 7-9 month old cat to the vet for a general exam and the vet gave her
> a FVRCP booster and an oral dose of Stronrid-T (Pyrantel Pamoate). A week
> after the visit, this very lively kitty became lethargic, sleeping most of
> the day (when before the visit to the vet she could keep us up all night) and
> eats, but with reduced appetite. Does not pester us at meal time like she
> used to. She has stopped jumping on the counters, window sills, etc. She
> doesn't play or frisk anymore with her brother. She has been like this for 5-
> 7 days (we took her to the vet Feb 11).
>
> Could it be a reaction to the vaccine?
>
> There has been no other change in her feeding, evironment or in any other
> routine. The only difference was the visit to the vet and the administration
> of the drugs.
>
> We will talk to the vet tomorrow, but we are wary of getting a straight
> answer. We paid double what we were told it would cost for the exam and
> medications, so we are not feeling warm and fuzzy about vet.

PawsForThought
February 25th 06, 02:19 AM
Catskill Cat Lover wrote:
> Took my 7-9 month old cat to the vet for a general exam and the vet gave her
> a FVRCP booster and an oral dose of Stronrid-T (Pyrantel Pamoate). A week
> after the visit, this very lively kitty became lethargic, sleeping most of
> the day (when before the visit to the vet she could keep us up all night) and
> eats, but with reduced appetite. Does not pester us at meal time like she
> used to. She has stopped jumping on the counters, window sills, etc. She
> doesn't play or frisk anymore with her brother. She has been like this for 5-
> 7 days (we took her to the vet Feb 11).

I would definitely have her checked out. Worming medicines are really
toxic, IMO. Vaccines can compromise the immune system as well. Good
luck and let us know what the vet says.

http://www.truthaboutvaccines.org/articles.html

February 25th 06, 04:33 AM
Catskill Cat Lover wrote:
> Took my 7-9 month old cat to the vet for a general exam and the vet gave her
> a FVRCP booster and an oral dose of Stronrid-T (Pyrantel Pamoate). A week
> after the visit, this very lively kitty became lethargic, sleeping most of
> the day (when before the visit to the vet she could keep us up all night) and
> eats, but with reduced appetite. Does not pester us at meal time like she
> used to. She has stopped jumping on the counters, window sills, etc. She
> doesn't play or frisk anymore with her brother. She has been like this for 5-
> 7 days (we took her to the vet Feb 11).
>
> Could it be a reaction to the vaccine?
>
> There has been no other change in her feeding, evironment or in any other
> routine. The only difference was the visit to the vet and the administration
> of the drugs.
>
> We will talk to the vet tomorrow, but we are wary of getting a straight
> answer. We paid double what we were told it would cost for the exam and
> medications, so we are not feeling warm and fuzzy about vet.

One of my cats has been achy & shown lethargy after some vaccinations,
but always on the day immediately after the shot, not a week later. And
when it happened, the reaction itself lasted only one day.

I would definitely bring her back to the vet asap - another vet if
necessary, if you're not feeling confident about this one.

Cathy

Catskill Cat Lover via CatKB.com
February 25th 06, 07:29 AM
Thanks everyone: Buddy, Rhonda, PawsForThought and . It's
good to know I can go somewhere for advice.

Will let you'all know how Lilly makes out.