PDA

View Full Version : Has any one had a cat with blood in the stool?

yogipet-online
February 26th 06, 04:51 PM
I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
7 years old just this January.

In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
the daylights out of me!

yogipet-online
February 26th 06, 04:56 PM
Sorry. Abyssinian is spelled incorrectly. It's been a long
day...already. LOL.

MaryL
February 26th 06, 05:33 PM
"yogipet-online" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
> 7 years old just this January.
>
> In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
> I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
> afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
> to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
> when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
> litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
> have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
> the daylights out of me!

Didn't your vet run any tests (for example, for UTI)? If not, I would seek
a second opinion because it would be *much* better to catch any potential
problems in an early stage.

MaryL

Rhonda
February 26th 06, 05:36 PM
Yes, we've seen it a couple of times. It can come along sometimes with
digestive problems. I read something about it one time when we found
some -- something about what part of the digestive tract it comes from.
You might try googling it or asking the vet for more details.

All of our cats are doing fine now, but I know it's a shock when you
first see it.

Rhonda

yogipet-online wrote:

> I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
> 7 years old just this January.
>
> In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
> I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
> afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
> to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
> when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
> litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
> have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
> the daylights out of me!

Buddy
February 26th 06, 05:50 PM
If there is red blood in the stool, it comes from the lower digestive
tract [below the stomach]. If the stool is black, the blood probably
came from the upper digestive tract.

February 26th 06, 06:46 PM
In article <[email protected]>, -
OUT-THE-LITTER says...

> "yogipet-online" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
> > 7 years old just this January.
> >
> > In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
> > I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
> > afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
> > to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
> > when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
> > litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
> > have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
> > the daylights out of me!
> >

> Didn't your vet run any tests (for example, for UTI)? If not, I would seek
> a second opinion because it would be *much* better to catch any potential
> problems in an early stage.

I've got a pretty thorough new vet. Brought my eldest in for a check up.
$350 later we've identified that his liver or spleen is somewhat
enlarged, but the blood panel doesn't show any increase in white blood
cells, or any indicators of liver malfunction. At 16 he's still
energetic, eats well, acts normal, etc. But over the past 6 or so years
he's lost 3 pounds. Probably coincides with when Cosimo was brought into
the house as that cat could eat, rest his little soul.

The breakdown:
Physcial Exam: $40
Rabies Vaccination: $12
Distemper Vaccination: $10
Blool Panel: $140
Sub-Q Fluids: $24

This brings the total on vet visits for the month of February to $1,100.
So yeah, I'd say my vet is pretty damned thorough.

Anyhow, when the vet called me to tell me the blood panel was ok she
started about ultrasounds, cat scans, etc. I told her I'd watch
carefully and if I saw any signs of something going on, I'd get him in
there.

I'm dreading Emily's appointment week after next.

MaryL
February 26th 06, 07:23 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <[email protected]>, -
> OUT-THE-LITTER says...
>>
>> "yogipet-online" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
>> > 7 years old just this January.
>> >
>> > In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
>> > I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
>> > afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
>> > to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
>> > when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
>> > litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
>> > have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
>> > the daylights out of me!
>> >

>> Didn't your vet run any tests (for example, for UTI)? If not, I would
>> seek
>> a second opinion because it would be *much* better to catch any potential
>> problems in an early stage.
>
> I've got a pretty thorough new vet. Brought my eldest in for a check up.
> $350 later we've identified that his liver or spleen is somewhat
> enlarged, but the blood panel doesn't show any increase in white blood
> cells, or any indicators of liver malfunction. At 16 he's still
> energetic, eats well, acts normal, etc. But over the past 6 or so years
> he's lost 3 pounds. Probably coincides with when Cosimo was brought into
> the house as that cat could eat, rest his little soul.
>
> The breakdown:
> Physcial Exam: $40
> Rabies Vaccination: $12
> Distemper Vaccination: $10
> Blool Panel: $140
> Sub-Q Fluids: $24
>
> This brings the total on vet visits for the month of February to $1,100.
> So yeah, I'd say my vet is pretty damned thorough.
>
> Anyhow, when the vet called me to tell me the blood panel was ok she
> started about ultrasounds, cat scans, etc. I told her I'd watch
> carefully and if I saw any signs of something going on, I'd get him in
> there.

Okay. I didn't pick up on any of this from your original message. I was
afraid it was one of those cases where you took your cat in and just
received a "guess" as to causes.

MaryL

NMR
February 26th 06, 07:25 PM
Those prices are starting to look like Rumble's average cost when he has his
epileptic episodes

news:[email protected]

> "T" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> In article <[email protected]>, -
>> OUT-THE-LITTER says...
>>>
>>> "yogipet-online" > wrote in message
>>> ups.com...

>>> Didn't your vet run any tests (for example, for UTI)? If not, I would
>>> seek
>>> a second opinion because it would be *much* better to catch any
>>> potential
>>> problems in an early stage.
>>
>> I've got a pretty thorough new vet. Brought my eldest in for a check up.
>> $350 later we've identified that his liver or spleen is somewhat
>> enlarged, but the blood panel doesn't show any increase in white blood
>> cells, or any indicators of liver malfunction. At 16 he's still
>> energetic, eats well, acts normal, etc. But over the past 6 or so years
>> he's lost 3 pounds. Probably coincides with when Cosimo was brought into
>> the house as that cat could eat, rest his little soul.
>>
>> The breakdown:
>> Physcial Exam: $40
>> Rabies Vaccination: $12
>> Distemper Vaccination: $10
>> Blool Panel: $140
>> Sub-Q Fluids: $24
>>
>> This brings the total on vet visits for the month of February to $1,100.
>> So yeah, I'd say my vet is pretty damned thorough.
>>
>> Anyhow, when the vet called me to tell me the blood panel was ok she
>> started about ultrasounds, cat scans, etc. I told her I'd watch
>> carefully and if I saw any signs of something going on, I'd get him in
>> there.
>>

> Okay. I didn't pick up on any of this from your original message. I was
> afraid it was one of those cases where you took your cat in and just
> received a "guess" as to causes.
>
> MaryL

NanCe via CatKB.com
February 26th 06, 10:28 PM
>In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
>I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
>afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
>to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
>when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
>litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
>have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
>the daylights out of me!

A change in diet can cause blood in the stool. I saw it all the time at the
shelter I worked at and it's happened to my cat a couple of times.

Phil P.
February 26th 06, 10:31 PM
"yogipet-online" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
> 7 years old just this January.
>
> In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
> I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
> afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
> to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
> when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
> litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
> have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
> the daylights out of me!

Sounds like "Idiopathic Hematochezia" (small amount of blood on the feces)-
its usually normal if it happens once in awhile and no other symptoms are
present.

What you really have to watch for are black, tarry stools (melena). These
are a sign of internal bleeding.

yogipet-online
February 26th 06, 10:51 PM
She didn't. When I asked about tests, she said that it was
unnecessary. She said that other symptoms one would expect with other
digestive diseases were not present. I am very ansy about my cats, I
guess. My Siamese died of cancer around her lungs after living with me
for 15 years. I may overreact on occasion which is what the vet felt I
was doing. I agree with others, though. Getting a second opinion
would be a good idea. I love my girls and want them to be well. Thank
you for your comment.

Phil P.
February 27th 06, 09:17 AM
"yogipet-online" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> She didn't. When I asked about tests, she said that it was
> unnecessary. She said that other symptoms one would expect with other
> digestive diseases were not present. I am very ansy about my cats, I
> guess. My Siamese died of cancer around her lungs after living with me
> for 15 years. I may overreact on occasion which is what the vet felt I
> was doing.

The next time someone critisizes you for overreacting, just remember one
thing: It doesn't matter how many times you overreact- the one time that it
saves your cat's life justifies all the other times.

Phil

February 28th 06, 04:52 PM
yogipet-online wrote:
> I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
> 7 years old just this January.
>
> In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
> I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
> afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
> to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
> when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
> litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
> have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
> the daylights out of me!

Misty had that occasionally when she got older, but she was perfectly
healthy (according to her vet) and lived to be 19. She even vomitted
blood once (I rushed her to emergency!), but tests came back negative
for that too.