PDA

View Full Version : Re: Life Expenctancy of Main Coons

Rhonda
February 27th 06, 06:20 AM
We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had all
of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.

He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might have
been around 11 or so when he died.

They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know
another person who got an adult Maine Coon and was happy he was gaining
so much weight. She let him go from 11 pounds to about 17 in 6 months.
He ended up with diabetes a few months later.

If you get him, I'd try not to let him get overweight. Also, don't let
anyone give him anything with steroids in it (which is what triggered
the diabetes in our cat.)

I loved our cat, he was the coolest one we've ever had. I've never seen
such a laid-back cat. He would put an arm around each side of my neck
and give me a hug.

Rhonda

Margarita Salt wrote:

> Is what I heard correct? Do main coons just not live very long?

Joe Canuck
February 27th 06, 01:35 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had all
> of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.
>
> He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might have
> been around 11 or so when he died.
>
> They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know

Bull****.

Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.

> another person who got an adult Maine Coon and was happy he was gaining
> so much weight. She let him go from 11 pounds to about 17 in 6 months.
> He ended up with diabetes a few months later.
>
> If you get him, I'd try not to let him get overweight. Also, don't let
> anyone give him anything with steroids in it (which is what triggered
> the diabetes in our cat.)
>
> I loved our cat, he was the coolest one we've ever had. I've never seen
> such a laid-back cat. He would put an arm around each side of my neck
> and give me a hug.
>
> Rhonda
>
> Margarita Salt wrote:
>

>> Is what I heard correct? Do main coons just not live very long?

Buddy
February 27th 06, 02:15 PM
Here is another picture that better shows his face

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~colonialamerica/mc.jpg

Grawun
February 27th 06, 02:58 PM
Please get back there and take that cat home!
My MC girl must be 9 or 10 by now and is beautiful and playful and
smart and gentle and the most loving cat I have ever known. I would
never have another breed. I have never heard that they might have a
shorter life span. Whatever time you might have with this cat you will
be thankful for.

Joe Canuck
February 27th 06, 03:10 PM
Grawun wrote:
> Please get back there and take that cat home!
> My MC girl must be 9 or 10 by now and is beautiful and playful and
> smart and gentle and the most loving cat I have ever known. I would
> never have another breed. I have never heard that they might have a
> shorter life span. Whatever time you might have with this cat you will
> be thankful for.

Don't encourage the abuser to take another cat home that will be
subsequently subjected to a declaw procedure.

Charlie Wilkes
February 27th 06, 03:17 PM
On 27 Feb 2006 06:58:04 -0800, "Grawun" > wrote:

>Please get back there and take that cat home!
>My MC girl must be 9 or 10 by now and is beautiful and playful and
>smart and gentle and the most loving cat I have ever known. I would
>never have another breed. I have never heard that they might have a
>shorter life span. Whatever time you might have with this cat you will
>be thankful for.

Yeah, I agree. This is a good cat for Brandy.

Another thing... if this cat is 6, he must have had a former owner,
maybe some old person who died, or someone who gave him up. He's
probably confused and sad. Someone needs to make things right for
him.

Charlie

Claude V. Lucas
February 27th 06, 05:20 PM
In article >,
Margarita Salt > wrote:
>Rhonda > wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>> We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He
>> had all of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on
>> the feet.
>>
>> He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might
>> have been around 11 or so when he died.
>>
>> They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I
>> know another person who got an adult Maine Coon and was happy he
>> was gaining so much weight. She let him go from 11 pounds to about
>> 17 in 6 months. He ended up with diabetes a few months later.
>>
>> If you get him, I'd try not to let him get overweight. Also, don't
>> let anyone give him anything with steroids in it (which is what
>> triggered the diabetes in our cat.)
>>
>> I loved our cat, he was the coolest one we've ever had. I've never
>> seen such a laid-back cat. He would put an arm around each side of
>> my neck and give me a hug.
>>
>> Rhonda
>>
>> Margarita Salt wrote:
>>

>>> Is what I heard correct? Do maine coons just not live very long?
>>>

>Everyone here mentions weight topping out around 16 and being fat. If
>this guy weighed that much he'd be skinny. I'm telling ya, he was BIG.
>:) Gorgeous face, though, and his card described his coat as blue
>mackerel tabby.
>
>Glad to hear he's not in sunset years.

At 6, he's barely an adult.

Bubba would be emaciated at 16 lbs.

Claude

Buddy
February 27th 06, 05:39 PM
You mentioned Royal Canin food for MC. This only comes in the dry
form. I may have misunderstood, but isn't it best to give males wet
food vs. dry? I would like to find something that doesn't put the
weight on him, but I don't want him to have blockage problems. He is
on canned Fancy Feast now and does have loose feces - which isn't good
with the long hair.

Rhonda
February 27th 06, 08:48 PM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> Rhonda wrote:
>
>> We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had
>> all of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.
>>
>> He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might have
>> been around 11 or so when he died.
>>
>> They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know
>

> Bull****.
>
> Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
> is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
> Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.

Okay, how about if I said being overweight? I agree with the other
poster, Maine Coons are hard to keep at a good weight. They tend to get
too big.

Go on to the message board at www.felinediabetes.com and ask there how
many have "big" cats...

Rhonda

Joe Canuck
February 27th 06, 09:08 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> Joe Canuck wrote:
>
>> Rhonda wrote:
>>
>>> We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had
>>> all of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.
>>>
>>> He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might
>>> have been around 11 or so when he died.
>>>
>>> They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know
>>

>> Bull****.
>>
>> Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
>> is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
>> Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.
>

> Okay, how about if I said being overweight? I agree with the other
> poster, Maine Coons are hard to keep at a good weight. They tend to get
> too big.
>
> Go on to the message board at www.felinediabetes.com and ask there how
> many have "big" cats...
>
> Rhonda

Oh, okay... overweight yes... I agree!

March 1st 06, 10:11 AM
Buddy wrote:
> You mentioned Royal Canin food for MC. This only comes in the dry
> form. I may have misunderstood, but isn't it best to give males wet
> food vs. dry?

Jay Jay has never eaten the wet food. I have tried several brands and
flavors. He won't eat much of anything other than kibble. Not even a
good piece of chicken or beef. He might eat something once, and look
like he loves it, and then never touch it again. He's a bit strange.

But he does drink a lot of water. He likes it extra fresh, so I change
his water bowl several times a day, and I see him drink.

The other boys (one currently, and a few in the past) ate mostly dry
with some wet food. And they all did well. I suspect that some cats are
more prone to it than others. I suppose it depends on how much they
drink. Some cats don't drink a lot of water, so they need to get more
moisture in their food.

I would like to find something that doesn't put the
> weight on him, but I don't want him to have blockage problems. He is
> on canned Fancy Feast now and does have loose feces - which isn't good
> with the long hair.

You might try giving him some of each. He'd still have some wet, but
the kibble might help clear up the loose feces. Jay Jay's were solid
before I put him on the Royal Canin, but they were very stinky. I was
having to scoop the litter 3 times a day, and instantly, after he went.
The smell was horrible, and he doesn't cover. I'm surprised the
neighbors couldn't smell it. After switching the food, the smell
stopped. He still doesn't cover, but nobody gags. And he doesn't need
to go as often. So, I am back to scooping the litter boxes once a day,
sometimes twice. It's so much better than before. And no more junk
stuck in his pantaloons. He had one shave done when I first got him,
and it has all grown back with no need to shave again.

March 1st 06, 10:47 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
> is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
> Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.

Joe,

Can you post some pics of your Ragdoll? Or send me a couple via email?

friesian(at)zoocrewphoto(dot)com

I'm still trying to learn more about Jay Jay. He has one of the color
patterns of the Ragdolls, but he talks like a Maine Coon. And while he
is a large boy, he doesn't seem to be as large as both of these breeds
get. I don't know how old he is. I'm guessing around 2 1/2, so he may
not be done growing. But I would guess he has attained most of his
size.

I've looked at some ragdolls at cat shows, but they are all younger
cats. Jay Jay has a much thicker head than those cats. I'd like to see
what full mature ragdolls look like.

I suspect that Jay Jay is a mix, and that would explain his smaller
size. But I can't tell which he is more likely to be - part maine coon
or part ragdoll. The temperment is described the same for both breeds.
And he has the look of one and the sound of another.

Joe Canuck
March 1st 06, 12:23 PM
wrote:
> Joe Canuck wrote:
>
>> Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
>> is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
>> Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.
>>

> Joe,
>
> Can you post some pics of your Ragdoll? Or send me a couple via email?

I'm still not "with it" regarding posting pics on the 'net; however,
there is a lot of info on them here which should help you out:

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ragdoll.html

> friesian(at)zoocrewphoto(dot)com
>
> I'm still trying to learn more about Jay Jay. He has one of the color
> patterns of the Ragdolls, but he talks like a Maine Coon. And while he
> is a large boy, he doesn't seem to be as large as both of these breeds
> get. I don't know how old he is. I'm guessing around 2 1/2, so he may
> not be done growing. But I would guess he has attained most of his
> size.
>
> I've looked at some ragdolls at cat shows, but they are all younger
> cats. Jay Jay has a much thicker head than those cats. I'd like to see
> what full mature ragdolls look like.
>
> I suspect that Jay Jay is a mix, and that would explain his smaller
> size. But I can't tell which he is more likely to be - part maine coon
> or part ragdoll. The temperment is described the same for both breeds.
> And he has the look of one and the sound of another.

Buddy
March 1st 06, 02:34 PM
I think I will go out and try some Royal Canin and do the half and half
routine for awhile. My MC does have a very stinky feces and the
looseness is messy on his back side. Took forever to clean him up the
other day and I don't want to cut it off - it is so fluffy and pretty
when clean! He acts like he is burying it, but it clumsy and ends up
with it on his front paws - just another mess. If it were more solid,
this wouldn't be such an issue! Every day scooping is a must!

I took the strap off of my camera. My kitty was more interested in
playing with the "string" than anything else. Now, he sees the camera
and starts posing! I also give him lots of praise, etc. while doing
the "photo shoot" - like they do for the professional models, you
know?!! He loves it.

You might try giving him some of each. He'd still have some wet, but
the kibble might help clear up the loose feces. Jay Jay's were solid
before I put him on the Royal Canin, but they were very stinky. I was
having to scoop the litter 3 times a day, and instantly, after he went.

The smell was horrible, and he doesn't cover. I'm surprised the
neighbors couldn't smell it. After switching the food, the smell
stopped. He still doesn't cover, but nobody gags. And he doesn't need
to go as often. So, I am back to scooping the litter boxes once a day,
sometimes twice. It's so much better than before. And no more junk
stuck in his pantaloons. He had one shave done when I first got him,
and it has all grown back with no need to shave again.

March 2nd 06, 08:29 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ragdoll.html

I've checked out some websites, but unfortunately, most breeders show
their cats early, and their show photos are all taken when they are 8
months to 2 years, before they are fully mature. On the website you
mentioned, the top cat has a similar head to Jay Jay, but it is a side
view, so I can't see it straight on. It appears to be thick like Jay
Jay's head. The other two cats have smaller heads, but they may just be
younger.

I had planned to hand out coupons for a discount on a photo session to
Ragdoll breeders if they have older mature cats and want to teach me
about the breed. But there weren't any Ragdoll breeders at the last
show. I hope to get a mailer out tomorrow to the breeders I have seen
at previous shows. I would love to see some older Ragdolls. I want to
see if they have the same walk as Jay Jay, the same sounds, and some of
the other "quirks" I see with Jay Jay.

March 2nd 06, 08:47 AM
Buddy wrote:
> I think I will go out and try some Royal Canin and do the half and half
> routine for awhile. My MC does have a very stinky feces and the
> looseness is messy on his back side. Took forever to clean him up the
> other day and I don't want to cut it off - it is so fluffy and pretty
> when clean!

When I first got Jay Jay, the vet ahved his rear, but they only did a
small area, just enough to prevent messes, but not real obvious when he
was walking away. And he still had plenty of fluff. You could probably
ask a groomer to do a very slight shave. If the food works for you, you
may not need to. Jay Jay wasn't too happy with me cleaning him in the
rear, and it was less than a week after I got him, so I figured the
shave was better for both us. Less stress for him, and no fight for me.

He acts like he is burying it, but it clumsy and ends up
> with it on his front paws - just another mess. If it were more solid,
> this wouldn't be such an issue! Every day scooping is a must!

Jay Jay attempts to cover, but he hasn't realized that he has to move.
He's so long that his front feet are nowhere near the pile of poo. So,
he's covering clean litter and leaving the pile out in the open. And he
was having to go 2-3 times a day since it was so soft. It's so much
nicer to have one good pile a day. (great subjects we talk about,
huh?)

> I took the strap off of my camera. My kitty was more interested in
> playing with the "string" than anything else. Now, he sees the camera
> and starts posing! I also give him lots of praise, etc. while doing
> the "photo shoot" - like they do for the professional models, you
> know?!! He loves it.

Jay Jay doesn't mind the camera. He just doesn''t like being asked to
pose or perform. He's great for the "laying the walkway" or "snoozing
on the cat tree" poses. Not so good at being asked to sit on a table
with a backdrop. And he really pouted with the grass skirt. Chase and
Chester actually performed when wearing the grass skirt. I was going to
a cat show with a Hawaiian theme, so I took photos of the cats doing
the hula and used them in my display and my computer slide show.

He'll get used to it eventually. It would be easier if he actually
liked some form of treat. He just doesn't seem to have a favorite treat
or toy. I haven't found his form of currency yet.