PDA

View Full Version : Messy Butt

J King
February 27th 06, 10:01 AM
I took in a stray calico a few years ago. Very timid cat. She doesn't have
diarhea or anything but it just sticks to her fur. Sometimes she has dry
knobs stuck to it. She tends to smell bad. The problem is that she goes
ballistic whenever I try to cut them off. She also doesn't let me cut her
claws or comb her.

Any suggestions?

Joanne

---MIKE---
February 27th 06, 01:05 PM
Take her to a vet or groomer for a "sanitary" cut. This removes the
hair in the butt area to prevent "cling-ons".

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Joe Canuck
February 27th 06, 03:33 PM
J King wrote:
> I took in a stray calico a few years ago. Very timid cat. She doesn't have
> diarhea or anything but it just sticks to her fur. Sometimes she has dry
> knobs stuck to it. She tends to smell bad. The problem is that she goes
> ballistic whenever I try to cut them off. She also doesn't let me cut her
> claws or comb her.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Joanne

If her stools tend to peel paint off the walls you might want to
consider switching to a food that she will find more digestible.

If the rear end mess is severe, you might want to consider a trip to the
vet for a rear shave and cleanup.

If not and she tolerates a bath, you may be able to clean things up with
a soaking and very gentle scrub.

J King
February 27th 06, 11:03 PM
Yeah I guess I already knew that a trip to the vet was in order. Was just
hoping that there was a way to avoid it. Let's just say that the only vet
here is more interested in her own welfare than that of the animals:-( Read
very expensive:-/

Joanne

"Margarita Salt" > wrote in message
>J King > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>> I took in a stray calico a few years ago. Very timid cat. She
>> doesn't have diarhea or anything but it just sticks to her fur.
>> Sometimes she has dry knobs stuck to it. She tends to smell bad.
>> The problem is that she goes ballistic whenever I try to cut them
>> off. She also doesn't let me cut her claws or comb her.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Joanne
>>

> Poor kitty! I suggest a butt shave at the vet. They've done that to
> Kami a couple of times, but she doesn't often have the problem.
>
> --
> Margarita Salt
>
> "...practically no one in the world is entirely bad or
> entirely good... motives are often more important than
> actions." -- Eleanore Roosevelt

J King
February 27th 06, 11:04 PM
She tolerates nothing!! But she does like lying on my lap while I'm at the
computer. Any suggestions as to what kind of food to try?

Joanne

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
>J King wrote:
>> I took in a stray calico a few years ago. Very timid cat. She doesn't
>> have diarhea or anything but it just sticks to her fur. Sometimes she
>> has dry knobs stuck to it. She tends to smell bad. The problem is that
>> she goes ballistic whenever I try to cut them off. She also doesn't let
>> me cut her claws or comb her.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Joanne
>
> If her stools tend to peel paint off the walls you might want to consider
> switching to a food that she will find more digestible.
>
> If the rear end mess is severe, you might want to consider a trip to the
> vet for a rear shave and cleanup.
>
> If not and she tolerates a bath, you may be able to clean things up with a
> soaking and very gentle scrub.

cybercat
February 28th 06, 01:13 AM
"J King" > wrote in message
> Yeah I guess I already knew that a trip to the vet was in order.

Do you give your cat milk?

cybercat
February 28th 06, 01:14 AM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I would keep a couple wet paper towels handy while at the computer. Once
> she's comfortable take one and give her a few good swipes.

Hahaha! I have done this with one of my cats. The look on their
face when you do a guerilla buttwipe is hilarious!

J King
February 28th 06, 01:28 AM
Hmmmm...good idea! How about baby wipes?

"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I would keep a couple wet paper towels handy while at the computer. Once
>she's comfortable take one and give her a few good swipes. She might be
>miffed at you to start with but I'm sure she'll come back to your lap and
>if you do it enough times she'll eventually "tolerate" you.
>
> I have one like this and I have to catch him off guard and give him a good
> cleaning. He's gets ticked at me for a day or so but gets over it then.
>
> Celeste
>

> "J King" > wrote in message
>> She tolerates nothing!! But she does like lying on my lap while I'm at
>> the computer. Any suggestions as to what kind of food to try?
>>
>> Joanne

>>> If her stools tend to peel paint off the walls you might want to
>>> consider switching to a food that she will find more digestible.
>>>
>>> If the rear end mess is severe, you might want to consider a trip to the
>>> vet for a rear shave and cleanup.
>>>
>>> If not and she tolerates a bath, you may be able to clean things up with
>>> a soaking and very gentle scrub.

J King
February 28th 06, 01:28 AM
No I don't.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "J King" > wrote in message
>> Yeah I guess I already knew that a trip to the vet was in order.
>
> Do you give your cat milk?

Anna via CatKB.com
February 28th 06, 02:10 AM
>Hmmmm...good idea! How about baby wipes?

Someone wrote on here that baby wipes have an ingredient in them that might
be harmful. Propylene glycol? Maybe someone else here knows.

Anna

Morgen
February 28th 06, 04:41 PM
I would stay away from chemically treated wipes. Read the ingredients
to be sure. I just donate a couple of washcloths to the cause (one in
use, one being cleaned) and keep a damp one handy in a ziplock bag.
It's a lot cheaper than papertowelling in the long run, but that works,
too.

Call the local groomers in your area. Some of them will do cats.
Usually cheaper than the vet. Be sure they do other cats, though,
since your cat is not pleased with grooming treatments and will need
restraints. The vet will put your cat under to groom him. Easier on
the vet, harder on the cat because anytime you anesthetize an animal,
there could be complications. This is why it is more expensive.

One thing you could do to help the groomer is add a calming homeopathic
preparation to your cat's water for a couple of days before the
grooming appointment. It may help.