PDA

View Full Version : sick with worry about my older cat

ms. tonya
February 27th 06, 06:30 PM
My older cat - think she's around 12 years- has been getting worst with
breathing problem the last week.
She constantly has a gasping sound plus tries to cough and not as active
as she was.

Thinking it might be severe hairballs- she's a long hair- as we change
their food from Science Diet with hairball control to Innova but just a
vet and they said it doesn't sound like hairball problems.

Her appointment is for this Wednesday just for a general check up
because I am on a fixed income and can't come up with the money for more
detailed tests up front. I've noticed she doesn't lay on her back that
much as this is one of the questions nurse ask me.

My male cat is doing fine though no problems.
Both cats are strictly indoors and haven't been around other cats the
ten years we have had them.

Can anyone give me an idea just what may be happening with my beloved
female as I know vets will order every test in the books for money which
sadly I don't have.
She's still eating normaly.

TIA-email welcome

cybercat
February 27th 06, 07:32 PM
"ms. tonya" > wrote in message
> My older cat - think she's around 12 years- has been getting worst with
> breathing problem the last week.
> She constantly has a gasping sound plus tries to cough and not as active
> as she was.
>
> Thinking it might be severe hairballs- she's a long hair- as we change
> their food from Science Diet with hairball control to Innova but just a
> vet and they said it doesn't sound like hairball problems.
>
> Her appointment is for this Wednesday just for a general check up
> because I am on a fixed income and can't come up with the money for more
> detailed tests up front. I've noticed she doesn't lay on her back that
> much as this is one of the questions nurse ask me.
>
> My male cat is doing fine though no problems.
> Both cats are strictly indoors and haven't been around other cats the
> ten years we have had them.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea just what may be happening with my beloved
> female as I know vets will order every test in the books for money which
> sadly I don't have.
> She's still eating normaly.

She just needs a chest xray--she probably has asthma and it is easily
controllable. You could have her for another ten years if this is what
it is. Xrays for cats are not that expensive. Treatment for my cat
is a Depo Medrol shot 2-4 times a year, about $25 a shot. There
are other options, including kitty inhalers and pills. Asthma is only
deadly if left untreated. Spring for the xray if you love this cat--
there is always a way, as you know. It it is asthma it is easy to see.
If not, perhaps whatever it is will show.

ms. tonya
March 4th 06, 01:06 AM
Nothing is ever simply in my house hold it seems.

Took her to vets today and had chest x-rays, she has a canerous mass
near heart plus, vet said 6 months to one year left maybe.

Taking tranq's and going to bed.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 4th 06, 03:36 AM
ms. tonya wrote:
>Nothing is ever simply in my house hold it seems.
>
>Took her to vets today and had chest x-rays, she has a canerous mass
>near heart plus, vet said 6 months to one year left maybe.
>
>Taking tranq's and going to bed.

So sorry.