PDA

View Full Version : Re: Life Expenctancy of Main Coons

February 27th 06, 10:04 PM
In article >,
says...
> I was at PetsMart today and, silly me, looked at the adoptables. There
> was a card that said the resident's name was Kama (really!) and he was
> a main coon, 6 years old. I could see a cat tucked into its sleeping
> quarters, and tapped on the window trying to wake him up so I could
> see. Well, the tapping worked. I saw big yellow eyes light up and
> then what emerged from the den was a startlingly HUGE and BEAUTIFUL
> boy.
>
> That cat was 20 inches at the shoulder if he was an inch at all. He
> came right up to the window meowing, and rubbed on it, then looked over
> his shoulder like "whya ren't you petting me?" I mean this cat was
> HUGE! I have never seen a domestic this big. And he was so adorably
> sweet, I wanted to take him right home. Kami would have a fit and
> would not be able to do anything about it. He could make her nothing
> more than a pink smudge on the carpet.
>
> The more I thought it, the more I recalled that because of their size,
> coons don't live very long. At 6 years, he probably only had a a
> couple more years left. If Kami went tomorrow I would have to deal
> with it again much too soon.
>
> Is what I heard correct? Do main coons just not live very long?

Cosimo definitely had Maine Coon traits. Had to put him down on
Valentines Day of this year becuase at 8 years old he had multiple
issues not the least of which was liver failure.

Adopt anyhow. The cat you saw wants a home. That's my philosophy now - I
don't care if I have them for ten years or two, as long as I can take
care of them I'm ok.

Joe Canuck
February 27th 06, 10:20 PM
T wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>> I was at PetsMart today and, silly me, looked at the adoptables. There
>> was a card that said the resident's name was Kama (really!) and he was
>> a main coon, 6 years old. I could see a cat tucked into its sleeping
>> quarters, and tapped on the window trying to wake him up so I could
>> see. Well, the tapping worked. I saw big yellow eyes light up and
>> then what emerged from the den was a startlingly HUGE and BEAUTIFUL
>> boy.
>>
>> That cat was 20 inches at the shoulder if he was an inch at all. He
>> came right up to the window meowing, and rubbed on it, then looked over
>> his shoulder like "whya ren't you petting me?" I mean this cat was
>> HUGE! I have never seen a domestic this big. And he was so adorably
>> sweet, I wanted to take him right home. Kami would have a fit and
>> would not be able to do anything about it. He could make her nothing
>> more than a pink smudge on the carpet.
>>
>> The more I thought it, the more I recalled that because of their size,
>> coons don't live very long. At 6 years, he probably only had a a
>> couple more years left. If Kami went tomorrow I would have to deal
>> with it again much too soon.
>>
>> Is what I heard correct? Do main coons just not live very long?
>>

> Cosimo definitely had Maine Coon traits. Had to put him down on
> Valentines Day of this year becuase at 8 years old he had multiple
> issues not the least of which was liver failure.
>
> Adopt anyhow. The cat you saw wants a home. That's my philosophy now - I
> don't care if I have them for ten years or two, as long as I can take
> care of them I'm ok.

Brandy needs therapy before she is allowed to adopt felines again.