PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable canned foods (thanks Phil, others please add)

AlexZ
February 28th 06, 08:05 PM
I love philosophical and scientific statements found here and in web
pages, but they still don't solve my practical problem: Standing inside
a Petsmart (the only such store near us), what is good to buy and what
is not? My cat can decide the taste, but I have to screen for nutrition
quality.

Google showed surprisingly few *concrete* recommendations in these
discussions, either for or against *specific* products. Indeed, unless
I missed something (entirely possible), the only list I was able to
find was from Phil (thanks!).

The following is collated from two of Phil's posts. Please add to it.
In particular, include Nutro, Iams, Pro Plan, Whiskas, Sophista Cat,
Sheba, Meow Mix, etc as well. (I am focusing on what is found at my
Petsmart but feel free to include other brands.) Include any brief
comments in a parenthital note.

List of acceptable canned foods

FANCY FEAST:
Marinated Beef Feast,
Marinated Chicken Feast,
Marinated Salmon Feast,
Grilled Chicken Feast,
Grilled Turkey Feast,
Grilled Tuna Feast,
Minced Beef Feast,
Sliced Beef Feast,
Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast,
Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast,
Seafood Filets Tuna & Ocean Whitefish,.

Avoid the entire Flaked, Filet & Pate line.

SCIENCE DIET:
Gourmet Turkey Entree,
Liver & Chicken Entree,
Gourmet Beef Entree,
Turkey & Giblets Entree,
Savory Cuts Chicken Dinner in Savory Gravy,
Savory Cuts Ocean Fish Dinner in Sauce,
Savory Cuts Beef Dinner in Gravy,
Savory Chicken Entree,
Savory Salmon Entree.

FRISKIES:
Fine Cuts With Real Chicken,
Fine Cuts With Real Fish- Ocean Whitefish, and Tuna,
Fine Cuts With Tuna in Sauce.
Prime Filets with Chicken in Gravy,
Prime Filets Turkey in Gravy,
Seared Filets With Turkey & Giblets,
Seared Filets with Salmon
Sliced Beef in Gravy
Sliced Gourmet Grill
Shredded Chicken & Salmon Dinner in Gravy
Special Diet Sliced Chicken In Gravy

PETGUARD:
Turkey & Rice,
Rabbit & Rice,
Chicken & Wheat Germ Dinner,
Venison & Rice.

WYSONG:
Chicken Gourmet,
Liver Gourmet,
Seafood Gourmet

WELLNESS:
Chicken."

---------------------------------------
Phil, thanks again. Please edit your list if anything has changed.
Others, please add to the above list.
I'll collate and repost for ease of future reference.
---------------------------------------

cybercat
February 28th 06, 08:47 PM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> I love philosophical and scientific statements found here and in web
> pages, but they still don't solve my practical problem: Standing inside
> a Petsmart (the only such store near us), what is good to buy and what
> is not? My cat can decide the taste, but I have to screen for nutrition
> quality.
>
> Google showed surprisingly few *concrete* recommendations in these
> discussions, either for or against *specific* products. Indeed, unless
> I missed something (entirely possible), the only list I was able to
> find was from Phil (thanks!).
>
> The following is collated from two of Phil's posts. Please add to it.
> In particular, include Nutro, Iams, Pro Plan, Whiskas, Sophista Cat,
> Sheba, Meow Mix, etc as well. (I am focusing on what is found at my
> Petsmart but feel free to include other brands.) Include any brief
> comments in a parenthital note.
>
> List of acceptable canned foods
>
> FANCY FEAST:
> Marinated Beef Feast,
> Marinated Chicken Feast,
> Marinated Salmon Feast,
> Grilled Chicken Feast,
> Grilled Turkey Feast,
> Grilled Tuna Feast,
> Minced Beef Feast,
> Sliced Beef Feast,
> Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast,
> Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast,
> Seafood Filets Tuna & Ocean Whitefish,.
>
> Avoid the entire Flaked, Filet & Pate line.

The first ingredient in Tender Beef Feast is beef, and
my cats love it. I think this is what Phil means by "Minced
Beef Feast." If your cats prefer minced or ground food,
you might want to try it. Mine unfortunately will not eat
the chunky or sliced foods, they just lick the gravy off.

AlexZ
February 28th 06, 09:37 PM
cybercat > wrote:

: The first ingredient in Tender Beef Feast is beef, and
: my cats love it. I think this is what Phil means by "Minced
: Beef Feast."

I think "minced" is a series within ff line, like "roasted" and
"grilled", but I'll double-check next time I am in the store.

: If your cats prefer minced or ground food, you might want
: to try it.

In my naive attempt to learn what she likes, I fed her a wide variety
in a short time, which turned her finicky. I have been trying to
recover from that error ever since and the progress, though there, is
torturously slow. :-)

Intially I was going by price thinking all food must be acceptable due
to regulation. Then I thought at least expensive ones must be. It has
been an education for me, that neither brand nor price guarantees
nutritional quality (sodium, Ph levels etc).

My goal here is to have as big a list as possible of nutritionally
acceptale canned foods. Then she can choose by taste and mood, and
after that I by price and sale! I hope others will also benefit from
such a list.

MaryL
February 28th 06, 09:45 PM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> cybercat > wrote:
>
> : The first ingredient in Tender Beef Feast is beef, and
> : my cats love it. I think this is what Phil means by "Minced
> : Beef Feast."
>
> I think "minced" is a series within ff line, like "roasted" and
> "grilled", but I'll double-check next time I am in the store.
>
> : If your cats prefer minced or ground food, you might want
> : to try it.
>
> In my naive attempt to learn what she likes, I fed her a wide variety
> in a short time, which turned her finicky. I have been trying to
> recover from that error ever since and the progress, though there, is
> torturously slow. :-)
>
> Intially I was going by price thinking all food must be acceptable due
> to regulation. Then I thought at least expensive ones must be. It has
> been an education for me, that neither brand nor price guarantees
> nutritional quality (sodium, Ph levels etc).
>
> My goal here is to have as big a list as possible of nutritionally
> acceptale canned foods. Then she can choose by taste and mood, and
> after that I by price and sale! I hope others will also benefit from
> such a list.

I have had very good results with Wellness and occasionally Eagle Pack. I
alternate 3 or 4 varieties. I don't want my cats to become dependent on a
single food, in case it isn't available sometime or the formulation is
changed. I theorize that this may also help to provide a better balance
(but admit that that is anecdotal).

MaryL

Joe Canuck
March 1st 06, 01:06 AM
AlexZ wrote:
> cybercat > wrote:
>
> : The first ingredient in Tender Beef Feast is beef, and
> : my cats love it. I think this is what Phil means by "Minced
> : Beef Feast."
>
> I think "minced" is a series within ff line, like "roasted" and
> "grilled", but I'll double-check next time I am in the store.
>
> : If your cats prefer minced or ground food, you might want
> : to try it.
>
> In my naive attempt to learn what she likes, I fed her a wide variety
> in a short time, which turned her finicky. I have been trying to
> recover from that error ever since and the progress, though there, is
> torturously slow. :-)
>
> Intially I was going by price thinking all food must be acceptable due
> to regulation. Then I thought at least expensive ones must be. It has
> been an education for me, that neither brand nor price guarantees
> nutritional quality (sodium, Ph levels etc).
>
> My goal here is to have as big a list as possible of nutritionally
> acceptale canned foods. Then she can choose by taste and mood, and
> after that I by price and sale! I hope others will also benefit from
> such a list.

The only problem with lists is that they need to be maintained, because
pet food changes

Joe Canuck
March 1st 06, 01:28 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:
> AlexZ wrote:
>> cybercat > wrote:
>>
>> : The first ingredient in Tender Beef Feast is beef, and
>> : my cats love it. I think this is what Phil means by "Minced
>> : Beef Feast."
>>
>> I think "minced" is a series within ff line, like "roasted" and
>> "grilled", but I'll double-check next time I am in the store.
>>
>> : If your cats prefer minced or ground food, you might want : to try
>> it.
>> In my naive attempt to learn what she likes, I fed her a wide variety
>> in a short time, which turned her finicky. I have been trying to
>> recover from that error ever since and the progress, though there, is
>> torturously slow. :-)
>>
>> Intially I was going by price thinking all food must be acceptable due
>> to regulation. Then I thought at least expensive ones must be. It has
>> been an education for me, that neither brand nor price guarantees
>> nutritional quality (sodium, Ph levels etc).
>>
>> My goal here is to have as big a list as possible of nutritionally
>> acceptale canned foods. Then she can choose by taste and mood, and
>> after that I by price and sale! I hope others will also benefit from
>> such a list.
>
> The only problem with lists is that they need to be maintained, because
> pet food changes

oops, I hit send a little too quickly.

I'll blame it on all the pain medication I'm on this evening... I'm
floating around here... I had a tooth extracted earlier today.

....so, someone needs to keep the information regarding acceptable canned
foods updated. People tend to lose interest in this once they have found
a food(s) acceptable to them and their pets.

With regards to the food, the only thing I would add is to be careful
with food from the smaller manufacturers. It may suddenly become
unavailable... either through no fault of your own or your fault. This
happened to me when I moved to a remote area in Canada. I decided to
settle on Science Diet which is available most everywhere.

Phil P.
March 1st 06, 07:28 AM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> I love philosophical and scientific statements found here and in web
> pages, but they still don't solve my practical problem: Standing inside
> a Petsmart (the only such store near us), what is good to buy and what
> is not? My cat can decide the taste, but I have to screen for nutrition
> quality.
>
> Google showed surprisingly few *concrete* recommendations in these
> discussions, either for or against *specific* products. Indeed, unless
> I missed something (entirely possible), the only list I was able to
> find was from Phil (thanks!).
>
> The following is collated from two of Phil's posts. Please add to it.
> In particular, include Nutro, Iams, Pro Plan, Whiskas, Sophista Cat,
> Sheba, Meow Mix, etc as well. (I am focusing on what is found at my
> Petsmart but feel free to include other brands.) Include any brief
> comments in a parenthital note.
>
> List of acceptable canned foods
>
> FANCY FEAST:
> Marinated Beef Feast,
> Marinated Chicken Feast,
> Marinated Salmon Feast,
> Grilled Chicken Feast,
> Grilled Turkey Feast,
> Grilled Tuna Feast,
> Minced Beef Feast,
> Sliced Beef Feast,
> Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast,
> Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast,
> Seafood Filets Tuna & Ocean Whitefish,.
>
> Avoid the entire Flaked, Filet & Pate line.
>

> SCIENCE DIET:
> Gourmet Turkey Entree,
> Liver & Chicken Entree,
> Gourmet Beef Entree,
> Turkey & Giblets Entree,
> Savory Cuts Chicken Dinner in Savory Gravy,
> Savory Cuts Ocean Fish Dinner in Sauce,
> Savory Cuts Beef Dinner in Gravy,
> Savory Chicken Entree,
> Savory Salmon Entree.
>

> FRISKIES:
> Fine Cuts With Real Chicken,
> Fine Cuts With Real Fish- Ocean Whitefish, and Tuna,
> Fine Cuts With Tuna in Sauce.
> Prime Filets with Chicken in Gravy,
> Prime Filets Turkey in Gravy,
> Seared Filets With Turkey & Giblets,
> Seared Filets with Salmon
> Sliced Beef in Gravy
> Sliced Gourmet Grill
> Shredded Chicken & Salmon Dinner in Gravy
> Special Diet Sliced Chicken In Gravy
>

> PETGUARD:
> Turkey & Rice,
> Rabbit & Rice,
> Chicken & Wheat Germ Dinner,
> Venison & Rice.
> >
> WYSONG:
> Chicken Gourmet,
> Liver Gourmet,
> Seafood Gourmet
> >
> WELLNESS:
> Chicken."
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Phil, thanks again. Please edit your list if anything has changed.
> Others, please add to the above list.
> I'll collate and repost for ease of future reference.
> ---------------------------------------

Once you find a food that meets your preferences, you still have to check
with the manufacturer every few months for changes in the nutrient levels.

You might want to use the Key Nutritional Factors for Adult Cats on my site
as a guide: http://tinyurl.com/dpjb8

Good luck,

Phil

CadillacWoman
March 1st 06, 01:22 PM
There have been so many times I've opened a can of premium kitty food
and said to three furry heads, "Eat this, it's good for you," and then
watched them give it an indifferent sniff. So I buy a wide variety of
brands and flavors of premium food, hoping that some flavors will be a
hit with some of the cats. If they don't like the canned food, there's
always dry food to nosh on, or they can wait until the next meal.

Curiously, none of the cats likes Science Diet in any flavor. They
used to like it, then they decided they didn't like it. Every once in a
while, I try to sneak in a can, but they rebuff it. They don't like
Paul Newman's cat food either. Nutro Max Cat, Triumph, and Fancy Feast
are favored, and their vet said that those were all good foods.

~*Connie*~
March 1st 06, 04:58 PM
this really all depends on what you define acceptable as. If you mean by a
cat's personal preferance, then you'll probably be talking all the "junk
food" canned foods.

Having a diabetic cat, Ive been doing some research on foods, and avoid
those with excessive carbohydrates. I avoid anything with wheat gluten -
most of your chunk foods have it, and soy.

You can find what I deem acceptable in any price point. Yes cheeper foods
will have more byproducts and less "real meat" but there is always a balance
between what will be eaten and what is the better list of ingredience.