PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-graceful cats?

gravatiaX
March 1st 06, 09:02 AM
Hi. I have two 1yr old orange tabby brothers, adopted from the local
shelter. From their behavior (and b/c they were "fostered" kittens),
we've deduced that they were raised without a momma cat. They do things
I've never seen before, like "burying" their food for later and have
bad manners towards our newest stray-turned-housecat, a wary 1yr
tortiepoint. Also, they have no idea that the purpose of digging in the
box is to cover the waste. Anyway, they crack me up because they are
the most ungraceful cats I've ever seen. There's no precision to their
pounces; they just put all their claws out and hope for the best. They
can't jump silently- it's always a big thud punctuated by a "uph"
sound, like they knocked the air out of themselves. At night, our
downstairs neighbor complains that the cats' thumping around is keeping
her up. ("I tried beating on the ceiling with a broom..." Gee, thanks,
lady) All my other cats were such dainty ladies and gentlemen, but
these cats have no fear and charge into every endeavor like little
grizzly bears.

My question is: Has anyone else had this kind of "bull in a china shop"
cat? Will they grow out of it? WIll acrobatic play help? The Siamese
looks so very elegant next to these guys! It's hardly a complaint, but
I find this behavior interesting and I wonder if it's a trait common to
"orphans."

They are in good health and have been examined recently.

thanks

Buddy
March 1st 06, 02:19 PM
I once had a kitty who was taken from her mother at 5 weeks and she was
similiar to this. Not very graceful, had no idea what the purpose of
digging in the litter was. She would first dig a cone shaped mound and
then sit on top of it to go. When finished, she would simply walk
away. Of course her long hair on her rear end took the brunt of the
episode.

She lived to be 14 and never changed. She was very cute and comicial
though! I have had some cats who bury their food when they don't like
it.

Jennifer
March 1st 06, 02:41 PM
Buddy wrote:
> I have had some cats who bury their food when they don't like
> it.

Yeah, any time I've seen my cats "bury" their food, it was because we
were trying something different that they didn't like, or we'd mixed
medecine into it and they could taste it.

My tortoiseshell, Scout, is one of the most ungainly creatures I've
ever seen. She's incredibly playful, but she just completely misses
80% of her pounces, and she often falls off of the bed while playing...
the funny part, though, is that she's very fast, but apparently has
problems with maneuverability. We'll hear her racing through the
house, chasing or being chased by our other cat (or something
completely imaginary) and she'll try to turn a corner and instead smack
right into the wall with a resounding thud. She usually does that
around the time my husband and I are trying to go to sleep, so nearly
every night, we drift off to the sound of, "badump badump badump badump
badump badump badumbadum BAM!." "Our cat is an idiot." "Yep.
G'night."

--
Jennifer

CatNipped
March 1st 06, 03:06 PM
"Jennifer" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Buddy wrote:
>> I have had some cats who bury their food when they don't like
>> it.
>
> Yeah, any time I've seen my cats "bury" their food, it was because we
> were trying something different that they didn't like, or we'd mixed
> medecine into it and they could taste it.
>
> My tortoiseshell, Scout, is one of the most ungainly creatures I've
> ever seen. She's incredibly playful, but she just completely misses
> 80% of her pounces, and she often falls off of the bed while playing...
> the funny part, though, is that she's very fast, but apparently has
> problems with maneuverability. We'll hear her racing through the
> house, chasing or being chased by our other cat (or something
> completely imaginary) and she'll try to turn a corner and instead smack
> right into the wall with a resounding thud. She usually does that
> around the time my husband and I are trying to go to sleep, so nearly
> every night, we drift off to the sound of, "badump badump badump badump
> badump badump badumbadum BAM!." "Our cat is an idiot." "Yep.
> G'night."

ROTFLMAOWTIME! Yep, that's Sammy - 17 pounds of ungraceful puddy-tat.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Jennifer

March 2nd 06, 01:49 AM
In article om>,
says...
> I once had a kitty who was taken from her mother at 5 weeks and she was
> similiar to this. Not very graceful, had no idea what the purpose of
> digging in the litter was. She would first dig a cone shaped mound and
> then sit on top of it to go. When finished, she would simply walk
> away. Of course her long hair on her rear end took the brunt of the
> episode.
>
> She lived to be 14 and never changed. She was very cute and comicial
> though! I have had some cats who bury their food when they don't like
> it.

Emily came into our lives at the age of six weeks. I had just met my SO
and the soon to be ex-roomate decided it'd be nice to bring home his own
kitten.

When I got home that day I noticed my cat was acting strange. He and I
had been best buds for 3 years, ever since he was a 12 week old kitten.
But he was growling at me. I checked and made sure he wasn't hurt and
chalked it up to the fact that I'd not been home for a day.

At around 3AM I head this pitiful little meow. I knew it wasn't my cat
as he was asleep next to me. Don't ask me what posessed me, but I
grabbed a flashlight and went searching. Saw a little black blur go
towards the kitchen and as I approached I saw a little black blur run
toward the living room.

Went over to the entertainment center and flipped down the bottom door.
Sure enough, two little green eyes were staring back at me.

When Keyron met her it was instant bonding. She was HIS cat. Of course
now she's our cat but that's just the way cats are.

In any case, she's the most dainty little bitch who has a house to run
that you'll ever want to meet. Maybe she learned it from my cat. Who
knows. But it gives lie to the observation that cats separated too early
loses the ability to learn how to act properly.