PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Guilty About Having To Give my Cat Away

March 2nd 06, 06:34 PM
I have a six year old female cat, she has always just been by herself
with no other pets. She's very loving. Two years ago we decided to
expand and get a puppy. Well the cat was not happy with this. I
thought that it would just take some time for them to get used to each
other but it has not happened. The cat has become very stressed and
has started pulling out her own hair, plus she's afraid to even come
down off a high area because of the dog. The dog is not a relaxed dog
at all by the way, he's big and strong and very very active. So after
much consideration, my cousin agreed to take her in. My cousin is very
much a cat person, and I know she will be loved and taken care of at
her new home. My concern is I feel guilty. I know it's probably for
the best for her, but she has never been away from me before and I'm
afraid to add any more stress to her already stressful life.

Any thoughts?

chas
March 2nd 06, 06:40 PM
You should feel guilty!

She was there before the dog and your selfish indulance in wanting a puppy
has cost her the home she was obviously very happy in.

Why not get rid of the dog?

chas

Gail
March 2nd 06, 07:15 PM
If you choose to keep the dog and not the cat, making sure she has a good
home is the best thing you can do for her.
Gail
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a six year old female cat, she has always just been by herself
> with no other pets. She's very loving. Two years ago we decided to
> expand and get a puppy. Well the cat was not happy with this. I
> thought that it would just take some time for them to get used to each
> other but it has not happened. The cat has become very stressed and
> has started pulling out her own hair, plus she's afraid to even come
> down off a high area because of the dog. The dog is not a relaxed dog
> at all by the way, he's big and strong and very very active. So after
> much consideration, my cousin agreed to take her in. My cousin is very
> much a cat person, and I know she will be loved and taken care of at
> her new home. My concern is I feel guilty. I know it's probably for
> the best for her, but she has never been away from me before and I'm
> afraid to add any more stress to her already stressful life.
>
> Any thoughts?

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 2nd 06, 07:31 PM
wrote:
>I have a six year old female cat, she has always just been by herself
>with no other pets. She's very loving. Two years ago we decided to
>expand and get a puppy. Well the cat was not happy with this. I
>thought that it would just take some time for them to get used to each
>other but it has not happened. The cat has become very stressed and
>has started pulling out her own hair, plus she's afraid to even come
>down off a high area because of the dog. The dog is not a relaxed dog
>at all by the way, he's big and strong and very very active. So after
>much consideration, my cousin agreed to take her in. My cousin is very
>much a cat person, and I know she will be loved and taken care of at
>her new home. My concern is I feel guilty. I know it's probably for
>the best for her, but she has never been away from me before and I'm
>afraid to add any more stress to her already stressful life.
>
>Any thoughts?

This reminds me of story of when I worked in a shelter. A man moved in with
a woman and he brought his dogs with him. Her cats hated the dogs and were
very stressed out. Guess which ones ended up being brought to the shelter?
The cats of course! I couldn't understand how she could do that. If I were
in your position, never in a million years would I give her up for a newer
pet. The cat was there first.

NanCe

March 2nd 06, 07:36 PM
You've decided to give away the cat versus the dog - though I may have
opted to keep the cat myself and find a home for the younger dog, the
decision has been made.

It sounds like you did what you could to find her a good home. So while
she may be more stressed at first, in the long run (which most likely
is another 10 years or so), she will be much happier with your cousin
in a home without a dog.

Visit her and see for yourself how she does after a while.

March 2nd 06, 07:46 PM
Thank you, most of you helped me in knowing that I'm making the best
decision that I can.

Thanks.

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 2nd 06, 08:30 PM
>Well, to be honest a dog is something that I always knew would be part
>of my life, I just had to wait until I had a house that was big enough.
> That cat, even though I grew to love her was a gift, that I didn't ask
>for. I took the best care of her and hoped that she would grow to love
>the dog. But unfortunatly the dog is not something I am willing to
>compromise on, I can not see my life without dog(s).

This just proves the point that people should not give pets to people as
gifts unless they are positive the person really wants it. At least you are
trying to find her a good home which she deserves. Just wondering, if your
cousin is a cat person does she have other cats?

NanCe

Charlie Wilkes
March 2nd 06, 08:48 PM
On 2 Mar 2006 10:58:08 -0800, "
> wrote:

>She has had other cats in the past, who have since past away, so she is
>really looking forward to having another cat in the house. I agree
>that people should not give animals as gifts. But if I didn't know the
>person and home she was going to, I would have found another way around
>it, the word "shelter" never has crossed my mind.
>
>Thanks!

You could euthenize the cat just to annoy people in this group. Take
before and after pix and post them on a web site, and link it here.
Then join a witness protection program.

Seriously, I think you're making sensible decisions. You didn't know
how the cat would handle the dog, and if it can't adjust, it should be
in a caring home without dogs.

Charlie

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 2nd 06, 09:01 PM
>She has had other cats in the past, who have since past away, so she is
>really looking forward to having another cat in the house. I agree
>that people should not give animals as gifts. But if I didn't know the
>person and home she was going to, I would have found another way around
>it, the word "shelter" never has crossed my mind.

Oh okay, I was just wondering if she had other cats as your cat isn't used to
them and I was going to suggest ways to introduce them. But it's good to
hear your cousin doesn't have any there at the present time; will be easier
on the kitty. Once you go to her house and visit a few times and see that
she is happy and calm there, your guilt will start to subside. I must
commend you for finding her a home instead of bringing her to a shelter, not
everyone goes to the trouble of doing this. Sounds like she is going to have
a wonderful home.

NanCe