PDA

View Full Version : dudley's pancreas...

Kitkat
March 3rd 06, 12:41 AM
Well, here we go again, I think. DH came home and Dudley had vomited
everywhere and has no interest in his dinner. This is exactly what
happened the first time we went thru this. We are going to monitor him
overnight and if he shows no signs of this just being a passing "bug"
then we'll take him to the vet in the morning.

I'm really worried and other than DH...no one else really understands
except you guys.

I'd like to try and give him a dose of his steroids. I have a bottle of
his pills that we only give him as needed to control his wheezing. But I
know it also helps with any inflammation and also his appetite. Any
opinions? Should I wait til morning?

frantic,
Pam

cybercat
March 3rd 06, 12:59 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote:

> Well, here we go again, I think. DH came home and Dudley had vomited
> everywhere and has no interest in his dinner.

Oh no, the poor little Jasperdude!

This is exactly what
> happened the first time we went thru this. We are going to monitor him
> overnight and if he shows no signs of this just being a passing "bug"
> then we'll take him to the vet in the morning.
>
> I'm really worried and other than DH...no one else really understands
> except you guys.
>
> I'd like to try and give him a dose of his steroids. I have a bottle of
> his pills that we only give him as needed to control his wheezing. But I
> know it also helps with any inflammation and also his appetite. Any
> opinions? Should I wait til morning?

I sure think I would wait unless he seems to be in more distress. Pills
of any kind worsen my nausea. On the other hand, throwing up can
exacerbate asthma. Since he should not be endangered by a single day
of not eating, I think I would wait unless he is wheezing, until he either
looks and seems a lot better or has been to the doctor. Another thing
to think about: you might want to go ahead and take him rather than
go through a Saturday vet visit. My vet is always swamped on Saturdays.

I'm sorry he's feeling bad, poor boy. Keep us posted.

Kitkat
March 3rd 06, 01:43 AM
cybercat wrote:

> I sure think I would wait unless he seems to be in more distress. Pills
> of any kind worsen my nausea. On the other hand, throwing up can
> exacerbate asthma. Since he should not be endangered by a single day
> of not eating, I think I would wait unless he is wheezing, until he either
> looks and seems a lot better or has been to the doctor. Another thing
> to think about: you might want to go ahead and take him rather than
> go through a Saturday vet visit. My vet is always swamped on Saturdays.
>
> I'm sorry he's feeling bad, poor boy. Keep us posted.

Yeah, I am not going to give him anything without vet instruction. My
immediate reaction was like "is there ANYTHING i can do RIGHT NOW!!!?"
I realize I should not play vet! :)

We stood him up to see if he would drink some water and he threw up
right away. He is definitely very very nauseous. Tim is already planning
to take the day off tomrrow and get him to the vet in the morning. Our
only other choice right now would be the 911 vet and I'm not sure that
is necessary right now. That would really stress him out. I think I'd
rather let him sleep some of it off and go to his normal vet tomorrow.
After he barfed again (just clear stuff), Tim put him back on the futon
and he curled up and was okay. He is snoring right now. I know he is
sick because when I touch him he usually starts purring loud and hard
right away. No purring at all right now. :(

DH and I are pretty distraught already. We'll be monitoring him closely
tonight and getting him to see TED asap.

Would it be a good idea at all to try and get a little water in him,
even if by using a medicine dropper? He was licking his lips a lot and I
know he must have a dry mouth.

This sucks.
:(

CatNipped
March 3rd 06, 02:04 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
. com...
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> I sure think I would wait unless he seems to be in more distress. Pills
>> of any kind worsen my nausea. On the other hand, throwing up can
>> exacerbate asthma. Since he should not be endangered by a single day
>> of not eating, I think I would wait unless he is wheezing, until he
>> either
>> looks and seems a lot better or has been to the doctor. Another thing
>> to think about: you might want to go ahead and take him rather than
>> go through a Saturday vet visit. My vet is always swamped on Saturdays.
>>
>> I'm sorry he's feeling bad, poor boy. Keep us posted.
>>

> Yeah, I am not going to give him anything without vet instruction. My
> immediate reaction was like "is there ANYTHING i can do RIGHT NOW!!!?"
> I realize I should not play vet! :)
>
> We stood him up to see if he would drink some water and he threw up right
> away. He is definitely very very nauseous. Tim is already planning to take
> the day off tomrrow and get him to the vet in the morning. Our only other
> choice right now would be the 911 vet and I'm not sure that is necessary
> right now. That would really stress him out. I think I'd rather let him
> sleep some of it off and go to his normal vet tomorrow. After he barfed
> again (just clear stuff), Tim put him back on the futon and he curled up
> and was okay. He is snoring right now. I know he is sick because when I
> touch him he usually starts purring loud and hard right away. No purring
> at all right now. :(
>
> DH and I are pretty distraught already. We'll be monitoring him closely
> tonight and getting him to see TED asap.
>
> Would it be a good idea at all to try and get a little water in him, even
> if by using a medicine dropper? He was licking his lips a lot and I know
> he must have a dry mouth.
>
> This sucks.
> :(

Licking their lips indicates nausea. When was the last time he had
something to drink and kept it down? If it hasn't been longer than 24 hours
you should be OK waiting until the morning for his regular vet, but if it
has been he may need some fluids at the 911 vet.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Kitkat
March 3rd 06, 03:29 AM
CatNipped wrote:

> Licking their lips indicates nausea. When was the last time he had
> something to drink and kept it down? If it hasn't been longer than 24 hours
> you should be OK waiting until the morning for his regular vet, but if it
> has been he may need some fluids at the 911 vet.

we know he ate his breakfast this morning. he clearly didn't keep it
down. he was eating and drinking fine up until this morning. he has just
been sleeping this whole evening.

any opinions about the water via a medicine dropper?

Lesley
March 3rd 06, 11:19 AM

> I'm really worried and other than DH...no one else really understands
> except you guys.

Keep us posted. We all know what it's like when one of our furkids
isn't well

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

CatNipped
March 3rd 06, 02:33 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
. net...
> CatNipped wrote:
>
>> Licking their lips indicates nausea. When was the last time he had
>> something to drink and kept it down? If it hasn't been longer than 24
>> hours you should be OK waiting until the morning for his regular vet, but
>> if it has been he may need some fluids at the 911 vet.
>
> we know he ate his breakfast this morning. he clearly didn't keep it down.
> he was eating and drinking fine up until this morning. he has just been
> sleeping this whole evening.
>
> any opinions about the water via a medicine dropper?

Sorry, I forgot to answer that question. No, I don't think you should force
water at this point - it would probably just make him vomit again losing
even more fluids. SubQ fluids would be the best way to administer fluids.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

March 3rd 06, 02:42 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote

> Yeah, I am not going to give him anything without vet instruction. My
> immediate reaction was like "is there ANYTHING i can do RIGHT NOW!!!?"

I know the feeling. You love Dudley the way I love my cats.

> I realize I should not play vet! :)

Is this something that bad little tom cats do under the house with
their female cousins? :)

> We stood him up to see if he would drink some water and he threw up
> right away. He is definitely very very nauseous. Tim is already planning
> to take the day off tomrrow and get him to the vet in the morning.

What a great guy. Let us know how it goes. Maybe he just got into
something. (Hoping for the best ..)

Kitkat
March 4th 06, 04:58 AM
Well, Dudley is doing MUCH MUCH better. Last night, we tried to just
give him a few drops of water to wet his mouth in case it was very dry
and/or had a horrible taste in it from barfing so much. I don't think it
did much except make *me* feel about 1% better. Anyway, he seemed pretty
peaceful and sleepy, so we went to bed. I woke up around 4am and went to
check on him. He was in the same spot sleeping. I started to pet him a
little bit and he started to purr!! What a joyous sound! Then, DH came
in the room to hear the purr and we put a bowl of water right in front
of his face and he had a nice, healthy drink! Oh this was like HEAVEN!
:) In the morning, he was pretty much still in the same spot sleeping.
DH took him to the vet where he got a bunch of shots: steroid,
famotidine, pain med, and fluids. According to DH he was well behaved at
the vet. DH brought him home and he right away started walking around,
used the litter box, had some food and was acting quite spry! :) He even
used the cat scratcher! But we knew he was REALLY feeling better when he
jumped up on our bed for a nap. The vet wants him to come in again
tomorrow for more fluids and stuff just to be safe and hopefully that'll
be all. It does look like we'll be keeping him on the steroids long term
though...just a low dose about once a week is the goal.

Well, King Dudley just sauntered in to the room. I best tend to his
royal highness! :)

thanks for your help/thoughts/etc!
Pam

cybercat
March 4th 06, 05:12 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
et...
> Well, Dudley is doing MUCH MUCH better. Last night, we tried to just
> give him a few drops of water to wet his mouth in case it was very dry
> and/or had a horrible taste in it from barfing so much. I don't think it
> did much except make *me* feel about 1% better. Anyway, he seemed pretty
> peaceful and sleepy, so we went to bed. I woke up around 4am and went to
> check on him. He was in the same spot sleeping. I started to pet him a
> little bit and he started to purr!! What a joyous sound! Then, DH came
> in the room to hear the purr and we put a bowl of water right in front
> of his face and he had a nice, healthy drink! Oh this was like HEAVEN!
> :) In the morning, he was pretty much still in the same spot sleeping.
> DH took him to the vet where he got a bunch of shots: steroid,
> famotidine, pain med, and fluids. According to DH he was well behaved at
> the vet. DH brought him home and he right away started walking around,
> used the litter box, had some food and was acting quite spry! :) He even
> used the cat scratcher! But we knew he was REALLY feeling better when he
> jumped up on our bed for a nap. The vet wants him to come in again
> tomorrow for more fluids and stuff just to be safe and hopefully that'll
> be all. It does look like we'll be keeping him on the steroids long term
> though...just a low dose about once a week is the goal.
>
> Well, King Dudley just sauntered in to the room. I best tend to his
> royal highness! :)

Yippeeeee! You guys take such good care of him. Maybe His Highness
will decide to keep you. ;)

I feel so relieved. Please give him a kiss on top of his shiny little
wedge-shaped
head for me.

Rhonda
March 4th 06, 03:37 PM
Yeah! I'm glad Dudley is feeling better. I'm sure you can sleep much
better now.

That's sweet that you carried water over to him, he must have been so
grateful.

Rhonda