PDA

View Full Version : My cats are loosing weight

March 3rd 06, 07:00 PM
HI All,

I am new here and need help. I have two female cats about 2 and 3 years
old and both spayed. I have noticed in the last few weeks that they are
both eating less and less (same brand of food, (Natural Ballace dry
food and Fancy feast or friskies canned) even though there is food
available to them all day and I give them one can of canned food in the
evening when I get home. Any ideas?? Also, a while ago I started mixing
a spoonful of Gerbers' mixed vegetables (carrots and peas) baby food
with their canned food every evening which I have stopped in the past
two weeks. Is this a good additive to give them more fiber? I
appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Anna via CatKB.com
March 3rd 06, 07:55 PM
>I am new here and need help. I have two female cats about 2 and 3 years
>old and both spayed. I have noticed in the last few weeks that they are
>both eating less and less (same brand of food, (Natural Ballace dry
>food and Fancy feast or friskies canned) even though there is food
>available to them all day and I give them one can of canned food in the
>evening when I get home. Any ideas?? Also, a while ago I started mixing
>a spoonful of Gerbers' mixed vegetables (carrots and peas) baby food
>with their canned food every evening which I have stopped in the past
>two weeks. Is this a good additive to give them more fiber? I
>appreciate any advice.

Why do you want them to have more fibre?

Anna

March 3rd 06, 08:40 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> HI All,
>
> I am new here and need help. I have two female cats about 2 and 3 years
> old and both spayed. I have noticed in the last few weeks that they are
> both eating less and less (same brand of food, (Natural Ballace dry
> food and Fancy feast or friskies canned) even though there is food
> available to them all day and I give them one can of canned food in the
> evening when I get home. Any ideas?? Also, a while ago I started mixing
> a spoonful of Gerbers' mixed vegetables (carrots and peas) baby food
> with their canned food every evening which I have stopped in the past
> two weeks. Is this a good additive to give them more fiber? I
> appreciate any advice.

When you get home from the vet, let us know what he said. Of
course you know that loss of appetite can be a sign of serious
illness, and that not eating enough can kill a cat in short order,
so I know you made the appointment before you bothered to
post to a Usenet group.

Hope your babies are okay.

cybercat
March 3rd 06, 08:43 PM
"Anna via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >I am new here and need help. I have two female cats about 2 and 3 years
> >old and both spayed. I have noticed in the last few weeks that they are
> >both eating less and less (same brand of food, (Natural Ballace dry
> >food and Fancy feast or friskies canned) even though there is food
> >available to them all day and I give them one can of canned food in the
> >evening when I get home. Any ideas?? Also, a while ago I started mixing
> >a spoonful of Gerbers' mixed vegetables (carrots and peas) baby food
> >with their canned food every evening which I have stopped in the past
> >two weeks. Is this a good additive to give them more fiber? I
> >appreciate any advice.
>
> Why do you want them to have more fibre?

I just wanted to add that the folks who make cat food are better than
the average consumer at providing what cats need. Another good point:
if they were eating fine and then stopped when you changed something,
change it back.

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 4th 06, 12:09 AM
>I am new here and need help. I have two female cats about 2 and 3 years
>old and both spayed. I have noticed in the last few weeks that they are
>both eating less and less (same brand of food, (Natural Ballace dry
>food and Fancy feast or friskies canned) even though there is food
>available to them all day and I give them one can of canned food in the

If both of your cats are losing weight and they are not on a weight loss diet,
it's time for a vet visit to find out what's going on.

>evening when I get home. Any ideas?? Also, a while ago I started mixing
>a spoonful of Gerbers' mixed vegetables (carrots and peas) baby food

Hope the baby food didn't have onions in it. They can destroy a cat's red
blood cells and cause anemia.

>with their canned food every evening which I have stopped in the past
>two weeks. Is this a good additive to give them more fiber? I

A 2 and 3 year old cat doesn't need any more fibre than what is in their cat
food. Adding more for no reason is not recommended unless your vet advised
you to.

Kelcey