PDA

View Full Version : encouraging fur regrowth

jmc
March 4th 06, 09:14 PM
For a bit now, I've noticed that Meep's collar has affected the fur
growth around her neck. Her collar is not tight (in fact may be too
loose), but she's been wearing one for so long now that there's some
thinner spots in that area.

Meep had part of her chest shaved a couple of weeks ago for an
ultrasound. I've left her collar off for now as I've been concerned it
would irritate the 'naked' skin. The area where her collar normally
sits isn't growing back at the same rate as the surrounding fur, and is
still nearly bare.

Is there a way to encourage the fur in that area to grow back faster?
Her skin seems fine, not dry or irritated in any way.

Poor cat. Her "armpits" were shaved as well, she seems a little
self-conscious about it :)

jmc

Toni
March 5th 06, 02:28 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message >
> Is there a way to encourage the fur in that area to grow back faster? Her
> skin seems fine, not dry or irritated in any way.

Regular brushing will stimulate the skin and encourage blood flow to the
area. Also make sure the diet is up to snuff with adequate essential fatty
acids. The shaved areas often grow in sparsely and unevenly for the first
few months, but usually go back to normal in time.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com