PDA

View Full Version : a stray came to my door last night! Help!

furfin
March 5th 06, 03:24 PM
A male orange/cream tabby came to my door last night pawing and rubbing
on the door and in general acting friendly and needy. I noticed it
because my two cats were excited and one of them was mumuring at the
visitor through the glass. The cat was urgently begging to come inside
even though I'd never seen him before.
I tried to ignore this but finally I went outside to find a very very
hungry cat with the mark of a missing collar. My bf thinks he was
possibly de-collared and dumped by people who couldn't keep him. He
wolfed down a bowl of food I provided--I couldn't believe how fast and
how much he ate. As I stoked his back and felt his nubby spine and ribs
I decided to bring him inside.

Now he's in my closet with a litterbox and water.

I'm going to take him to the vet to get him tested for contagious
diseases on Monday. What tests does he need and how long should I wait
before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats? I can
wash my hands between cats but is it dangerous to have him in the
closet and go in and out? He actually looks healthy and I don't think
he's been lost very long...long enough to get hungry and somewhat
skinny but not totally starved or ratty yet. My vet can check him for a
microchip and I can post a cat found listing on my local craigslist and
possibly make flyers in search of owners, but if owners cannot be found
I am willing to keep him if he's healthy and my cats don't mind.

I'd love some advice or feedback from all you knowledgeable cat people!

violetvache@yahoo.com
March 5th 06, 05:52 PM
furfin wrote:

Stuff saints in heaven write. I don't know the answer to your
questions, honey--only wish people like you walked the streets
everyday.

Whether you find the owner, keep him, or part with him in a humane way,
God go with you.
What courage you have, and what a heart.

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 5th 06, 06:23 PM
Yes was your hands between touching one cat and another secretions from
one can transmit

Don't allow them to interact between each other till the test are done.
Distemper and few other disease are spread by contact

The vet will know the proper test to run but make sure a to have them all
done. If he is not neutered I would think about having it done. As have
the vet check his

Definitely check for a microchip. Call local animal control and local
shelters at least 20 mile radius report found cat

If you make a flyer don't put a picture on it on just a brief description
and I mean brief make the person tell you about the cat. Too many sickos
out there

I sounds like he has been out for a little while if he was as skinny as
described. Probably lost kitty or as your Bf said a dumped kitty.

Sounds like a you might have to be a new slave to a new god

Your cats will accept your other cat as long as your introduce them properly
which if you need some info we will happily give it to you

I email PHIL P. about your question on what should you look for hopefully
he will see the thread or my email and respond

"furfin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A male orange/cream tabby came to my door last night pawing and rubbing
> on the door and in general acting friendly and needy. I noticed it
> because my two cats were excited and one of them was mumuring at the
> visitor through the glass. The cat was urgently begging to come inside
> even though I'd never seen him before.
> I tried to ignore this but finally I went outside to find a very very
> hungry cat with the mark of a missing collar. My bf thinks he was
> possibly de-collared and dumped by people who couldn't keep him. He
> wolfed down a bowl of food I provided--I couldn't believe how fast and
> how much he ate. As I stoked his back and felt his nubby spine and ribs
> I decided to bring him inside.
>
> Now he's in my closet with a litterbox and water.
>
> I'm going to take him to the vet to get him tested for contagious
> diseases on Monday. What tests does he need and how long should I wait
> before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats? I can
> wash my hands between cats but is it dangerous to have him in the
> closet and go in and out? He actually looks healthy and I don't think
> he's been lost very long...long enough to get hungry and somewhat
> skinny but not totally starved or ratty yet. My vet can check him for a
> microchip and I can post a cat found listing on my local craigslist and
> possibly make flyers in search of owners, but if owners cannot be found
> I am willing to keep him if he's healthy and my cats don't mind.
>
> I'd love some advice or feedback from all you knowledgeable cat people!

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 5th 06, 06:26 PM
Sorry did not finish this part

The vet will know the proper test to run but make sure a to have them all
done. If he is not neutered I would think about having it done. As have
the vet check his*

*kidneys and liver after a few days of not eating cats begin having
breakdowns in their levels. A panel test the vet will know which one will
tell you if any problems are there and let you catch it in time.

Good luck

Matthew

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 5th 06, 07:32 PM
>I'm going to take him to the vet to get him tested for contagious
>diseases on Monday. What tests does he need and how long should I wait
>before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats? I can
>wash my hands between cats but is it dangerous to have him in the
>closet and go in and out? He actually looks healthy and I don't think
>he's been lost very long...long enough to get hungry and somewhat
>skinny but not totally starved or ratty yet. My vet can check him for a

The only disease you can carry back to your other cats is panleaukopenia
(distemper) either on your hands or your clothes but you would most likely
know if the cat had it as he would be very sick. This disease can affect
cats but it mostly affects kittens. The vet will test for feline leukemia
(not transferrable by you - they need close contact with eachother for a long
period of time before it's transmitted) and you can ask him if there's
anything else he will check for.

Do you have an extra room you can put him in with his own litter box. He
shouldn't come out and be around your other cats until after his vet visit.
Even after that, it would be a good idea to take it slow when you introduce
him to your other cats, they probably won't like him at first but after
awhile, they'll accept him. You could take a towel that he's layed on (later,
not now) and bring it out to them and let them sniff it so they get used to
his smell.

If you don't find the ower and decide to keep him, you are a great person for
doing this. He was lucky to have found you.

NanCe

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 5th 06, 07:44 PM
>period of time before it's transmitted) and you can ask him if there's
>anything else he will check for.

Oh, and he'll want to check the stool to make sure he doesn't have any
parasites so you should bring a sample.

NanCe

furfin
March 5th 06, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the advice and support everyone! The poor kitty was really
thirsty too, after he got over the excitement of eating and being
petted he lapped down a whole kitty bowl of water. I've never seen a
cat do that. He was licking the bottom of the water bowl and I had to
get a bigger bowl of water to leave in there with him.

My two cats have two litterboxes so I gave him one. Do you think I need
to change all the litter or will he use it even if it smells like the
others? I always scoop the poop but the pee I stir in sometimes
because I use Jonny Cat. Eventually I hope he will share the two boxes
with the other two cats because I just don't have room for three
boxes.

I posted an ad on craigslist with a pic of the cat and also made flyers
to put up in the area. This is him:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/orangecatw.jpg

He doesn't look so skinny in the photo but when you touch him he's
bony! I thought he was young but I'm not sure because his teeth are
yellower than my cats teeth.

These are my overlords:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/mobox2.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/maxonmo.jpg
They have the final word of course :-)

furfin
March 5th 06, 08:11 PM
PS. to the person who suggested not having a photo I have figured a way
around that. The caller will have to describe how many white feet he
has and whether his chest blaze is isolated or runs down to his belly.
You can't tell that stuff from the photo so hopefully that will thwart
lab collectors and cat sacrificers. :-0

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 5th 06, 08:14 PM
"furfin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> PS. to the person who suggested not having a photo I have figured a way
> around that. The caller will have to describe how many white feet he
> has and whether his chest blaze is isolated or runs down to his belly.
> You can't tell that stuff from the photo so hopefully that will thwart
> lab collectors and cat sacrificers. :-0

To many sickos out there to give them more ammo

Matthew

Barb
March 5th 06, 09:58 PM
Hi. Charlie Wilkes is kidding you! But you sound like a very kind and
smart person and you are doing all the right things. I just want to add
that the stray I found in 1990 stayed with me for 15 years and was my
absolute treasure and guardian angel. I wasn't looking for a new pet at the
time what with my own cat, my husband's 2 cats and a dog and a teenager but
fate stepped in with this precious black cat. Some times these things are
meant to be.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 6th 06, 04:02 AM
>My two cats have two litterboxes so I gave him one. Do you think I need
>to change all the litter or will he use it even if it smells like the
>others? I always scoop the poop but the pee I stir in sometimes

Depends how fussy he is. It might bother him to smell the other cats' pee or
it might not. If he seems hesitant to use it, it's probably best to toss
out the old litter and throw in some new.

NanCe

mlbriggs
March 6th 06, 05:22 AM
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 07:24:11 -0800, furfin wrote:

> A male orange/cream tabby came to my door last night pawing and rubbing
> on the door and in general acting friendly and needy. I noticed it
> because my two cats were excited and one of them was mumuring at the
> visitor through the glass. The cat was urgently begging to come inside
> even though I'd never seen him before.
> I tried to ignore this but finally I went outside to find a very very
> hungry cat with the mark of a missing collar. My bf thinks he was
> possibly de-collared and dumped by people who couldn't keep him. He
> wolfed down a bowl of food I provided--I couldn't believe how fast and
> how much he ate. As I stoked his back and felt his nubby spine and ribs
> I decided to bring him inside.
>
> Now he's in my closet with a litterbox and water.
>
> I'm going to take him to the vet to get him tested for contagious
> diseases on Monday. What tests does he need and how long should I wait
> before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats? I can
> wash my hands between cats but is it dangerous to have him in the
> closet and go in and out? He actually looks healthy and I don't think
> he's been lost very long...long enough to get hungry and somewhat
> skinny but not totally starved or ratty yet. My vet can check him for a
> microchip and I can post a cat found listing on my local craigslist and
> possibly make flyers in search of owners, but if owners cannot be found
> I am willing to keep him if he's healthy and my cats don't mind.
>
> I'd love some advice or feedback from all you knowledgeable cat people!

My Princess (RB 16) was a stray and I had her for 14 years. My Dog,
Rex, was a stray (RB18) and I also had him for 14 years.

"nuff said?

Phil P.
March 6th 06, 05:31 AM
"furfin" > wrote in message
oups.com...

What tests does he need and how long should I wait
> before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats?

Since you don't know the cat's history, I think you should get him tested
for FeLV/FIV and a fecal exam for parasites. If the owners don't turn up in
a week or so, I would also have bloodwork (CBC, chemscreen) and a urinalysis
done to assess his overall general health and look for any underlying
diseases. If his owners do turn up, they should reimburse you; if they
don't, at least you'll know you did the right thing.

Phil