PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: feral cat has adopted us

March 8th 06, 12:20 AM
An adorable young tom (apparently dumped in a field near our house) has
adopted us, snoozing on the verandah and enjoying the food we put out
for him daily but he won't let us closer than four or five feet. I'd
love to catch him, take him to the vet for his vasectomy and give him
an indoor home if possible. As we live not far from a busy road I'm
concerned about his safety. Are traps for catching feral animals really
safe to use? Advice on how to use them, if so? All good advice on the
subject of capturing a homeless cat and acclimating it to indoor life
is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Bram

Gail
March 8th 06, 12:44 AM
Buy or borrow a have a heart trap to catch him in. They are perfectly safe.
Use a smelly fish inside the trap. Bring him to the vet to be neutered and
given his shots. Take him home and place him in a room with food, water,
litter box, and a comfortable bed. Slowly let him get used to your presence
in the room. This will take time and patience. Make sure he stays in the
room until he is tame. Otherwise he might hide in the house and you will not
be able to find him. You are terrific to help him.
Gail
ups.com...