PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Problems?

March 8th 06, 12:57 AM
My cat has been acting funny the last few months. She meows quite often
for no reason- usually when she comes into a room. 2 months ago she
started to urinate on the floors or on piles of clothes/towels on the
floor. I've noticed that many times, whether she's outside or inside,
she squats to urinate, but nothing comes out. She doesn't act funny, or
in pain or anything otherwise. Is there a reason to be concerned, or,
is she just being a funny old cat? She was a stray, so I believe she's
about 7 years old now. Any help is appreciated...

Gail
March 8th 06, 01:07 AM
She must see a vet ASAP. She sounds like she may have a urinary tract
infection/blockage. Cats can die from this if are not treated right away.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My cat has been acting funny the last few months. She meows quite often
> for no reason- usually when she comes into a room. 2 months ago she
> started to urinate on the floors or on piles of clothes/towels on the
> floor. I've noticed that many times, whether she's outside or inside,
> she squats to urinate, but nothing comes out. She doesn't act funny, or
> in pain or anything otherwise. Is there a reason to be concerned, or,
> is she just being a funny old cat? She was a stray, so I believe she's
> about 7 years old now. Any help is appreciated...

March 8th 06, 10:45 PM
She has some bladder stones. Urine tests also shows a PH of 6.5 and a
large amount of blood is present. The Vet said that the PH level is
typically indicative of the type of stones that cannot just be flushed
out or treated without surgery. However, she did say that the PH can
fluxuate throughout the day and that's not a solid test. I'm not sure
why they made me get the test when they cannot have any hard results-
but whatever. Either way, she's on some pain meds the next few days,
and some anti-biotics for a week. Hopefully during the next month
she'll be ok, no more signs of problems. However- the vet said that if
it prolongs, then surgery will be required. Unfortunately, $1000 for
surgery isn't an option, so I'll need to put her down at that point.
But, let's keep our fingers crossed that the meds take care of the
problem all together.

She also suggested getting her on wet food to help increase fluid
intake- maybe even use one of those water fountains since she loves
drinking out of the sink soo much. Thanks for the help guys! Keep your
fingers crossed for my little Daisy!!!

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 9th 06, 12:11 AM
>She has some bladder stones. Urine tests also shows a PH of 6.5 and a
>large amount of blood is present. The Vet said that the PH level is
>typically indicative of the type of stones that cannot just be flushed
>out or treated without surgery. However, she did say that the PH can
>fluxuate throughout the day and that's not a solid test. I'm not sure
>She also suggested getting her on wet food to help increase fluid

Since you said it's the kind that requires surgery, I trust it's calcium
oxalate crystals she has?. Did your vet put her on Hill's x/d (that's a
food for cats prone to calcium oxalate crystals). She should be on the
proper diet for this condition.

Kelcey

Rhonda
March 9th 06, 05:40 AM
Okay, maybe I'm confused -- but I thought a ph of 6.5 is pretty normal
for a cat.

Did your vet see any crystals in the urine? Crystals are small stones
and if she had any of those the vet should be able to tell the type of
stones. Our vet had a urine sample from our cat and was able to tell us
the type of crystals and the special food he needed.

A water fountain sounds like a great idea.

Good luck to her,

Rhonda

wrote:

> She has some bladder stones. Urine tests also shows a PH of 6.5 and a
> large amount of blood is present. The Vet said that the PH level is
> typically indicative of the type of stones that cannot just be flushed
> out or treated without surgery. However, she did say that the PH can
> fluxuate throughout the day and that's not a solid test. I'm not sure
> why they made me get the test when they cannot have any hard results-
> but whatever. Either way, she's on some pain meds the next few days,
> and some anti-biotics for a week. Hopefully during the next month
> she'll be ok, no more signs of problems. However- the vet said that if
> it prolongs, then surgery will be required. Unfortunately, $1000 for
> surgery isn't an option, so I'll need to put her down at that point.
> But, let's keep our fingers crossed that the meds take care of the
> problem all together.
>
> She also suggested getting her on wet food to help increase fluid
> intake- maybe even use one of those water fountains since she loves
> drinking out of the sink soo much. Thanks for the help guys! Keep your
> fingers crossed for my little Daisy!!!

March 9th 06, 05:59 PM
I dont think there were any crystals- but there were definitely
stones...

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 9th 06, 09:00 PM
wrote:
>I dont think there were any crystals- but there were definitely
>stones...

Ask you vet exactly what type she has. From what you describe it sounds like
calcium oxalate as you stated that the vet said that the only way they can be
destroyed is through surgery but you should call her and find out. You also
need to get her on the appropriate food for whatever the condition is.
Regular food is not made to treat this condition which your vet should know.

Kelcey

March 13th 06, 10:31 PM
UPDATE
Spoke with the Vet- she suggested CDX or CDOX for her food- to mix it
in with existing food. But- she said she had no crystals to make a
decision over. She highly doubted that the food/medicine would flush
out the stones,and she would require surgery to do it. She said there's
another procedure where she forces the stones out by hand- but there's
a good chance that wouldn't work and she'd need the surgery anyways. In
which case, I gotta put her down.

So, Im not sure if the food will help her pass these stones or not? Can
anyone tell me? Also- does anyone know if places like the Animal
Welfare League can take in cats, give them the proper care and adopt
them out?
Thanks