PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cat Comforts Grieving Orangutan at Zoo

Charlie Wilkes
March 10th 06, 10:56 AM
On 10 Mar 2006 02:53:56 GMT, Margarita Salt
> wrote:

>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060309/ap_on_fe_st/comforting_cat
>
>Cat Comforts Grieving Orangutan at Zoo
>By The Associated Press
>
>Tondalayo, a 45-year-old Sumatran orangutan, and T.J., a stray tabby
>cat, became an inseparable duo after a zoo employee introduced them
>late last year.
>
>Stephanie Willard, Education Director at Zoo World in Panama City
>Beach, said Tondalayo was depressed since losing her mate two years
>ago.
>
>Her age prevented her from moving to another zoo or taking another
>mate. The ducks and turtles swimming in a moat around her island were
>not enough, Willard told the Panama City News Herald for Thursday's
>editions.
>
>When the sweet-natured orange cat wandered into Willard's life, the
>solution became clear.
>
>"It's an unbelievable match," Willard said. "This has worked out a lot
>better than I expected it to. She's got brighter eyes now. He's
>brought a lot of light to her."
>
>Zookeepers named the cat, T.K. short for "Tondalayo's Kitty."
>
>They play together, cuddle and sleep together each night. They have
>been together constantly for more than a month.
>
>"He's perked up Tonda more than anything," Willard said.

Interesting. Koko, the much-studied gorilla who can communicate in
English using a special typewriter, has also had a series of pet cats
to whom she has been devoted. She named one of them "All Ball"

Charlie