PDA

View Full Version : Fractured Leg

mandyoo
March 10th 06, 11:19 PM
Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon but do you guys think this is a fracture.

cybercat
March 11th 06, 01:17 AM
"mandyoo" > wrote in message

> Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
> might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
> when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
> foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
> why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
> everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
> but do you guys think this is a fracture.

How the hell would we know? That is a computer, not an Xray machine.
Your cat is in serious pain. Take her to the vet tonight. Jesus.

MaryL
March 11th 06, 01:40 AM
"mandyoo" > wrote in message

> Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
> might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
> when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
> foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
> why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
> everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
> but do you guys think this is a fracture.
>

> --
> mandyoo

Your cat needs to be seen by a vet *immediately.* A minor injury can
quickly become serious if it is left untreated, and she certainly needs some
pain medication.

Here's an example: Holly started limping a few months ago. I couldn't see
anything but took her to the vet. It was very difficult for even the vet to
see because she is a black cat and her pads are also black. However, he
found a small cut on the pad and gave her antibiotics. The next day she was
*much* worse. This time, he could see that the pad was now swollen. He
used gas so he could probe and she had already developed an abscess. That
little cut had developed very rapidly, and delay could have caused far more
serious problems. Please get to a vet *now.*

(And, surely you know that we cannot tell you if the leg is fractured. That
isn't something that can be diagnosed from a distance.)

MaryL

Joe Canuck
March 11th 06, 02:36 AM
mandyoo wrote:
> Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
> might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
> when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
> foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
> why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
> everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
> but do you guys think this is a fracture.

What is your notion of "soon"?

I really hope you mean "tonight" by that.

-L.
March 11th 06, 02:38 AM
mandyoo wrote:
> Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
> might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
> when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
> foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
> why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
> everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
> but do you guys think this is a fracture.

Get that cat to the vet asap - there is a small window in which the leg
can ge repaired if it is indeed a fracture. Don't mess around.
-L.

Lady Lepidoptera
March 11th 06, 07:30 AM
mandyoo wrote:
> Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
> might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
> when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
> foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
> why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
> everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
> but do you guys think this is a fracture.

Sorry to just reply from out of the lurker shadows, but I just had to
respond. Sounds like your cat has definitely broken something. My cat
fractured the neck of her femur, and her symptoms were exactly as you
describe. How long has she been acting like this? Did you notice any
acrobatic play that might have gone awry? My cat was chasing a mosquito,
jumped for it, and fell into her water dish, slipping as she landed.
Immediately afterwards she slunk off into a corner and didn't move much
after that, and when she did it was with a terrible limp. She went to
vet a few hours later, and they did an x-ray, which showed a very
obvious crack in her hip. My vet gave her pain pills and recommended to
try to keep her still (by not encouraging play, having her lay in a
comfortable spot with food and water nearby, etc.) until it could be
determined if she would heal naturally on her own. I was to watch how
she moved over a week, and see if the limp improved at all. Fortunately,
it did, even if only slightly. The vet said that only if they don't heal
on their own would they have to do surgery to fix the break. But he said
that cats heal well, and quickly, so she'd be fine after time.

So a trip to vet is a good idea to make sure of the problem, but sounds
like you'll have a lame cat on your hands for a while! We even had to
carry our cat to the litter box! It's several months later now, and she
is still uncertain on that leg, but she's definitely better.

I hope that your Hemmy feels better. Good luck!

gt1924 via CatKB.com
March 11th 06, 09:39 PM
mandyoo wrote:
>Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
>might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
>when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
>foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
>why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
>everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
>but do you guys think this is a fracture.

My cat had an infection from a cut that made his leg look broken and he
couldn't walk on it much. Your cat still needs to get to the vet regardless
of the injury.

chas
March 12th 06, 04:47 PM
Presumably you have now been to the vet?

How is your cat?

chas

mandyoo
March 17th 06, 01:54 AM
Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon but do you guys think this is a fracture.

Hemmy is much better thank you, It was not a break just sore and bruised, and the vet has put her on medication. Thanks, Although I do not appriciate some of the very rude answers. Of course I know that you would not be able to tell me if it is a break as you are not an x ray machine....I was looking more for symtoms ect. Someone with experience. Also when I said soon I meant that very day.

mandyoo
March 17th 06, 02:04 AM
"mandyoo" wrote in message

Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
but do you guys think this is a fracture.

How the hell would we know? That is a computer, not an Xray machine.
Your cat is in serious pain. Take her to the vet tonight. Jesus.

There is no need to be so rude to me and to use bad language....I posted because I wanted some help, not rudness from you.

March 17th 06, 03:33 PM
mandyoo > wrote:

>cybercat Wrote:
>> "mandyoo" wrote in message
>>
>> Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
>> might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
>> when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
>> foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
>> why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
>> everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet
>> soon
>> but do you guys think this is a fracture.
>>

>> How the hell would we know? That is a computer, not an Xray machine.
>> Your cat is in serious pain. Take her to the vet tonight. Jesus.
>

>There is no need to be so rude to me and to use bad language....I
>posted because I wanted some help, not rudness from you.

If you haven't taken that cat to the vet by now, you deserve more than
just rudeness. Just what kind of help did you think was realistic?
Would a doctor diagnose this over a phone?

-mhd

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 17th 06, 04:16 PM
What did you expect on the replies people can only go by what you type.
Than you wait 6 days to respond
"mandyoo" > wrote in message

> mandyoo Wrote:
>> Has anyone's cat here had a fractured leg? Cuz I think my cat Hemmy
>> might have fractured her front leg. She dos'nt walk around at all and
>> when she does she tries at all costs not to put any pressure on the
>> foot. She also has a cut on her foot. So at first I thought that was
>> why she was limping, but I dont think a cat would limp so much and
>> everything just from a cut. I'm going to be taking her to the vet soon
>> but do you guys think this is a fracture.
>
> Hemmy is much better thank you, It was not a break just sore and
> bruised, and the vet has put her on medication. Thanks, Although I do
> not appriciate some of the very rude answers. Of course I know that you
> would not be able to tell me if it is a break as you are not an x ray
> machine....I was looking more for symtoms ect. Someone with experience.
> Also when I said soon I meant that very day.
>

> --
> mandyoo

chas
March 18th 06, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad it was not fractured.

chas

mandyoo
March 20th 06, 12:33 AM
mandyoo wrote:

cybercat Wrote:
"mandyoo" wrote in message

[...]

Umm.... did you even read all the posts, because I said that I have allready brought Hemmy to the vet clinic. And I brought her the day I wrote the post.

mandyoo
March 20th 06, 12:40 AM
mandyoo wrote:

cybercat Wrote:
"mandyoo" wrote in message

[...]

Also I did not ask for a diagnose, I was asking If you thought the injury was from the cut or something more such as a fracture....I was asking for an opinion....

Ryan Robbins
March 20th 06, 03:19 AM
"mandyoo" > wrote in message

> Also I did not ask for a diagnose, I was asking If you thought the
> injury was from the cut or something more such as a fracture....I was
> asking for an opinion....

I don't understand why you wanted the opinion of anybody here. Why did you?