PDA

View Full Version : What's coming next for aged cat?

Echo
March 11th 06, 03:17 AM
Hello all,

I have a 4 pound 17 year old indoor cat who, until two days ago, was in
great health for her age.

Then quite suddenly she started loosing her balance and falling over. The
tipping action starts with her hind legs collapsing and then the rest of her
little body follows. This seems to occur when she leans in for a rub/cuddle
or when she shakes her head for example.

Her appitite has diminished somewhat, but her willingness to play with the
dogs, get cuddles, and be with us is intact. So in other words, her spirits
appear to be in good order. I've also noticed that her eyes seem "off", but
I'm unable to describe it any further.

I've created her own "cat room" complete with a litter box, food, bed etc so
that she won't have to navigate the stairs and perhaps injure herself. She
can come and go into this room at her lesuire and seems to understand that
after 17 years this is where her food and box is now.

She's our first cat and we've never dealt this the aging and dying process
before. As you can imagine we are unsure of what's to come. Aside from
keeping her safe from injury...what else can I do? How much longer before
she passes away? Is this the beginning of the end?

Does anyone have experience dealing with this? If so, I'd be most
appreciative to hear. Perhaps there are some good links to share as well?

With thanks.
~Echo

Gail
March 11th 06, 03:48 AM
She needs to see a vet ASAP. Please don't delay in getting her help.
Gail
"Echo" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 4 pound 17 year old indoor cat who, until two days ago, was in
> great health for her age.
>
> Then quite suddenly she started loosing her balance and falling over. The
> tipping action starts with her hind legs collapsing and then the rest of
> her little body follows. This seems to occur when she leans in for a
> rub/cuddle or when she shakes her head for example.
>
> Her appitite has diminished somewhat, but her willingness to play with the
> dogs, get cuddles, and be with us is intact. So in other words, her
> spirits appear to be in good order. I've also noticed that her eyes seem
> "off", but I'm unable to describe it any further.
>
> I've created her own "cat room" complete with a litter box, food, bed etc
> so that she won't have to navigate the stairs and perhaps injure herself.
> She can come and go into this room at her lesuire and seems to understand
> that after 17 years this is where her food and box is now.
>
> She's our first cat and we've never dealt this the aging and dying process
> before. As you can imagine we are unsure of what's to come. Aside from
> keeping her safe from injury...what else can I do? How much longer before
> she passes away? Is this the beginning of the end?
>
> Does anyone have experience dealing with this? If so, I'd be most
> appreciative to hear. Perhaps there are some good links to share as well?
>
> With thanks.
> ~Echo

Gail
March 11th 06, 03:50 AM
She may have an inner ear infection. Again, she must see a vet. What she has
may be treatable.
Gail
"Echo" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 4 pound 17 year old indoor cat who, until two days ago, was in
> great health for her age.
>
> Then quite suddenly she started loosing her balance and falling over. The
> tipping action starts with her hind legs collapsing and then the rest of
> her little body follows. This seems to occur when she leans in for a
> rub/cuddle or when she shakes her head for example.
>
> Her appitite has diminished somewhat, but her willingness to play with the
> dogs, get cuddles, and be with us is intact. So in other words, her
> spirits appear to be in good order. I've also noticed that her eyes seem
> "off", but I'm unable to describe it any further.
>
> I've created her own "cat room" complete with a litter box, food, bed etc
> so that she won't have to navigate the stairs and perhaps injure herself.
> She can come and go into this room at her lesuire and seems to understand
> that after 17 years this is where her food and box is now.
>
> She's our first cat and we've never dealt this the aging and dying process
> before. As you can imagine we are unsure of what's to come. Aside from
> keeping her safe from injury...what else can I do? How much longer before
> she passes away? Is this the beginning of the end?
>
> Does anyone have experience dealing with this? If so, I'd be most
> appreciative to hear. Perhaps there are some good links to share as well?
>
> With thanks.
> ~Echo

Ryan Robbins
March 11th 06, 05:05 AM
"Echo" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> She's our first cat and we've never dealt this the aging and dying process
> before. As you can imagine we are unsure of what's to come. Aside from
> keeping her safe from injury...what else can I do? How much longer before
> she passes away? Is this the beginning of the end?

Cats can be sick for quite some time before showing any symptoms. You should
take her to the vet for a checkup and blood tests.

Echo
March 11th 06, 02:15 PM
Thank you for the replies....She's off to the vet this morning.

Phil P.
March 11th 06, 02:26 PM
"Echo" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 4 pound 17 year old indoor cat who, until two days ago, was in
> great health for her age.
>
> Then quite suddenly she started loosing her balance and falling over. The
> tipping action starts with her hind legs collapsing and then the rest of
her
> little body follows.

<snip>

Aside from
> keeping her safe from injury...what else can I do?

Please take her to a vet *immediately*.

Phil

..

Whiplash
March 11th 06, 02:28 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> Please take her to a vet *immediately*.
>
> Phil

you're gonna be late to your own funeral

March 11th 06, 04:42 PM
In article . com>,
says...

> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > Please take her to a vet *immediately*.
> >
> > Phil
>

> you're gonna be late to your own funeral

Like there's anything wrong with that. :)

I'd like to be as late as possible for my funeral.

Whiplash
March 11th 06, 06:20 PM
T wrote:

> I'd like to be as late as possible for my funeral.

really, make'em wait 2 extra hours at the grave side, just put it in
your will. heh heh

Echo
March 11th 06, 08:58 PM
Could be hypertension, a small stroke, or releated to her CRF.
But most definitly not an ear infection.
They took blood and urine and will know more when the lab results are back.
Put her on prednisone for a few days until we know what might have caused
this episode.
On a positive note, her spirits are *high* and she's not quite as wobbly as
48 hours ago. I've noticed about a 20% improvement.

Thanks for asking.

"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> What did the vet say?

Anna via CatKB.com
March 11th 06, 10:35 PM
>Then quite suddenly she started loosing her balance and falling over. The
>tipping action starts with her hind legs collapsing and then the rest of her
>little body follows. This seems to occur when she leans in for a rub/cuddle
>or when she shakes her head for example.

Here is a link with info on the symptoms of back leg weakness (could be about
6 different things) from felinecrf.org (good site for crf).

http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_treatments_index.htm

Anna

Echo
March 11th 06, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the great link Anna!
I appreciate it.

"Anna via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Here is a link with info on the symptoms of back leg weakness (could be
> about
> 6 different things) from felinecrf.org (good site for crf).
>
> http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_treatments_index.htm

Sherri
March 12th 06, 09:20 PM
Echo~~~ How are things today? When will the results be back?

Good luck :)

Sherri

Echo
March 12th 06, 11:10 PM
She's had about a 20% improvement since Thursday when we first noticed
something amis. Thankfully it hasn't gotten worse. I should know more
tomorrow when the results come back. Thank you for asking.

"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Echo~~~ How are things today? When will the results be back?
>
> Good luck :)
>
> Sherri

Anna via CatKB.com
March 13th 06, 12:30 AM
>She's had about a 20% improvement since Thursday when we first noticed
>something amis. Thankfully it hasn't gotten worse. I should know more
>tomorrow when the results come back. Thank you for asking.

Hopefully it will be just be low potassium or high phosphorus (since she's a
crf kitty); both can be remedied with meds. Let us know when you get your
results back.

Anna

Echo
March 14th 06, 01:22 AM