PDA

View Full Version : howwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllll!!!!

cybercat
March 12th 06, 12:01 AM
: /

cybercat
March 12th 06, 12:26 AM
"D." > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > : /
>
> Hmmm?

Expression of general angst. Either that or a thyroid problem. Carry on.

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 12th 06, 02:07 AM
or lack on good sex or the batteries ran out I suggest plug in ;-) :-o

cybercat
March 12th 06, 02:19 AM
"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
. ..
> or lack on good sex or the batteries ran out I suggest plug in ;-) :-o

Winky winky my ass, Matthew. >: [ Not everything is about sex!

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 12th 06, 02:28 AM
ok lack of good sleep or a good night out making you feel like you are the
most important person in the word

You need breakfast in bed served by a non gay male stripper in a French maid
outfit

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
> @linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
> . ..
>> or lack on good sex or the batteries ran out I suggest plug in ;-) :-o
>>

> Winky winky my ass, Matthew. >: [ Not everything is about sex!

cybercat
March 12th 06, 02:49 AM
"D." > wrote in message
link.net...
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > Not everything is about sex!
>
> Speak for yourself. ;) ;) ;)

Okay, only for those of you who have very interesting lives!

meee
March 12th 06, 07:50 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "D." > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> In article >,
>> "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> > : /
>>
>> Hmmm?
>>

> Expression of general angst. Either that or a thyroid problem. Carry on.

Or deafness or senility.....

-L.
March 12th 06, 08:20 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "D." > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > In article >,
> > "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> > > : /
> >
> > Hmmm?
> >

> Expression of general angst. Either that or a thyroid problem. Carry on.

And here I thought you were reading Alan Ginsberg...
-L.

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 12th 06, 11:15 AM
huh what I could not hear you
<old fart moment>

"meee" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "D." > wrote in message
>> ink.net...

>>> Hmmm?
>>>

>> Expression of general angst. Either that or a thyroid problem. Carry on.
>>

> Or deafness or senility.....

cybercat
March 12th 06, 04:39 PM
"meee" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "D." > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> >> Hmmm?
> >>

> > Expression of general angst. Either that or a thyroid problem. Carry on.
> >

> Or deafness or senility.....

Yes! Were I a cat. And I wish I was. Lay around in the sunshine, eat all I
want, no bills to pay, never have to work like a dog ... :) No thumbs and
too short so you wouldn't even think of ASKING me to do the dishes ...
No housework, some geeky chick with a broom and dustpan tidying
up after me ... I could go on and on.

cybercat
March 12th 06, 04:41 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > "D." > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> > > Hmmm?
> > >

> > Expression of general angst. Either that or a thyroid problem. Carry on.
>
> And here I thought you were reading Alan Ginsberg...
> -L.

I remember that ... "the best minds of my generation ..." As I recall,
when I looked into the so-called "beat" poets, I liked Ferlinghetti,
Patchen and Bukowski better than Ginsberg.

cybercat
March 12th 06, 05:00 PM
"D." > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > No housework, some geeky chick with a broom and dustpan tidying
> > up after me .
>
> Have you been watching my Webcam?
>
> --

heh ... yours and mine both, if I had one. They Who Must Be
Served look up at me with one eye open if I make any noise
cleaning, like "can't you be a little quieter, I am trying to get
a little rest here."

Whiplash
March 12th 06, 05:10 PM
D. wrote:
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > : /
>
> Hmmm?

7 yr itch

cybercat
March 12th 06, 05:22 PM
"Whiplash" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> D. wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> > > : /
> >
> > Hmmm?
>
> 7 yr itch

I am afraid that one has passed. All my itches are presently scratched,
thank you.

I just enjoy a good howwwwwwwllllllll every now and then. You should try it.

-L.
March 12th 06, 06:33 PM
cybercat wrote:
> I remember that ... "the best minds of my generation ..." As I recall,
> when I looked into the so-called "beat" poets, I liked Ferlinghetti,
> Patchen and Bukowski better than Ginsberg.

Corso: http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/409

Ferlinghetti published some of his work. Why do you say "so-callled"
beat poets?

I don't particularly like Ginsberg either - but he's one of the
better-known. I can't hear the word "Howl" without thinking of him.
Funny how the brain works, that way.

-L.

Whiplash
March 12th 06, 07:00 PM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
> or lack on good sex or the batteries ran out I suggest plug in ;-) :-o

don't preach to me about respect no more!
does your wife know how you talk to other women

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 12th 06, 07:05 PM
she was the one that said it

"Whiplash" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
>> or lack on good sex or the batteries ran out I suggest plug in ;-) :-o
>
> don't preach to me about respect no more!
> does your wife know how you talk to other women

cybercat
March 12th 06, 07:05 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > I remember that ... "the best minds of my generation ..." As I recall,
> > when I looked into the so-called "beat" poets, I liked Ferlinghetti,
> > Patchen and Bukowski better than Ginsberg.
>
> Corso: http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/409

Gregory Corso is who I meant--who I was trying to think of when
I said "Ferlinghetti," though I did like Ferlingetti's "Coney Island Of
The Mind." Didn't Corso write, "Should I get married? Should I be
good? Surprise her with my velvet cape and Faustus hood?"

He was great.

> Ferlinghetti published some of his work. Why do you say "so-callled"
> beat poets?

Because it was a term that referred to a certain clique but left out
major poets of the same generation such as Kenneth Patchen and
Charles Bukowski. Both of the latter were way too prolific, with
1 gem for many so-so poems. But in my opinion both outshined
Ginsberg and, especially, Kerouac for whom (I think?) the term
"beat" was coined. (I am foggy, it has been a long time.)

> I don't particularly like Ginsberg either - but he's one of the
> better-known. I can't hear the word "Howl" without thinking of him.
> Funny how the brain works, that way.

Yep. I might have to break down and find a couple of
really good examples of why I love Patchen and Bukowski
one of these nights and post them! (Bukowski was, admittedly,
a pretty disgusting human being and a major sexist. But he had
these moments, in his work. Patchen was a truly good man.)

cybercat
March 12th 06, 07:11 PM
Okay, I remember the first poem I ever saw by Bukowski that bowled me over.
I was in my teens when I found this old book in a junk shop.

I Cannot Stand Tears

by Charles Bukowski (nineteen-sixty-something)

There were several hundred fools around the goose that
broke its leg

Trying to decide what to do

When the guard walked up and pulled out his cannon

And the issue was finished.

Except for a woman who ran out of a hut, claiming he'd
"killed her pet."

Well the guard rubbed his straps and told her

"Kiss my ass. Take it to the president. The bird was crying and I cannot
stand tears."

I folded my canvas and walked further up the road.

The *******s had ruined my landscape.

(Poetry is nothing if not subjective, but for me,this is a great commentary
on human "sensitivity.")

cybercat
March 12th 06, 07:13 PM
"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
> she was the one that said it

NO, I did not! Someone else is always bringing up sex, I always say
"It is not always about sex," then someone says I brought it up.

Let's look at the THREAD, boys.

Jaysus.

> "Whiplash" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
> >> or lack on good sex or the batteries ran out I suggest plug in ;-) :-o
> >
> > don't preach to me about respect no more!
> > does your wife know how you talk to other women

cybercat
March 12th 06, 07:16 PM
"-L." > wrote

..

> Corso: http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/409
>
> Ferlinghetti published some of his work.

Oh, and point taken that Ferlinghetti was primarily a publisher, but he also
wrote poetry.

Whiplash
March 12th 06, 07:21 PM
D. wrote:
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > Not everything is about sex!
>
> Speak for yourself. ;) ;) ;)

Diane? nooooooooooooo

I just can't believe it

I can believe it but...

never mind

Whiplash
March 12th 06, 07:22 PM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
> she was the one that said it

Diane said it

yep

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 12th 06, 07:23 PM
Who is Diana ??????????????????????????

"Whiplash" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
>> she was the one that said it
>
> Diane said it
>
> yep

Whiplash
March 12th 06, 07:30 PM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
> Who is Diana ??????????????????????????

D.

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 12th 06, 07:32 PM
alrighty
"Whiplash" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
>> Who is Diana ??????????????????????????
>
> D.

Charlie Wilkes
March 12th 06, 10:20 PM
On 12 Mar 2006 20:11:35 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:

>Okay, I remember the first poem I ever saw by Bukowski that bowled me over.
>I was in my teens when I found this old book in a junk shop.
>

>I Cannot Stand Tears
>
>by Charles Bukowski (nineteen-sixty-something)
>

>There were several hundred fools around the goose that
>broke its leg
>
>Trying to decide what to do
>
>When the guard walked up and pulled out his cannon
>
>And the issue was finished.
>
>Except for a woman who ran out of a hut, claiming he'd
>"killed her pet."
>
>Well the guard rubbed his straps and told her
>
>"Kiss my ass. Take it to the president. The bird was crying and I cannot
>stand tears."
>
>I folded my canvas and walked further up the road.
>
>The *******s had ruined my landscape.

>(Poetry is nothing if not subjective, but for me,this is a great commentary
>on human "sensitivity.")

Yeah. Bukowski was a character. He was more a self-styled literary
figure than a literary artist, but he could write.

This is really a prose vignette broken into lines, but it's very
telling.

I have already mentioned in this group about the time I was in LA and
there was a mouse squirming on a glue trap in the graphics dept. The
girls put a wastebasket over it so they didn't have to look.

I went to the supply cabinet and got one of those manilla folders, and
put the trapped mouse in it, and crushed it with my shoe. After that
the girls called me "the psycho." I didn't care, and I played into
the joke, but they were waiting for B&G to come take care of the
problem, and meanwhile that poor ****in animal was crying in pain and
fear.

Charlie

meee
March 12th 06, 11:15 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "meee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "D." > wrote in message
>> > ink.net...

>> > Expression of general angst. Either that or a thyroid problem. Carry
>> > on.
>> >

>> Or deafness or senility.....
>>

> Yes! Were I a cat. And I wish I was. Lay around in the sunshine, eat all I
> want, no bills to pay, never have to work like a dog ... :) No thumbs and
> too short so you wouldn't even think of ASKING me to do the dishes ...
> No housework, some geeky chick with a broom and dustpan tidying
> up after me ... I could go on and on.

Oh, wouldn't that be the life!

meee
March 12th 06, 11:17 PM
"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
. ..
> alrighty
> "Whiplash" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
>>> Who is Diana ??????????????????????????
>>
>> D.

I'm just laughing at the fact that cybercats 'howl' thread has more posts
than the other serious ones.....

Charlie Wilkes
March 13th 06, 01:28 AM
On 12 Mar 2006 11:21:23 -0800, "Whiplash" >
wrote:

>D. wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> > Not everything is about sex!
>>
>> Speak for yourself. ;) ;) ;)
>
>Diane? nooooooooooooo
>
>I just can't believe it
>
>I can believe it but...
>
>never mind

Diane has a Jurassic Beaver. She needs de-fossilizing cream.

Charlie

cybercat
March 13th 06, 01:35 AM
"meee" > wrote

> > Yes! Were I a cat. And I wish I was. Lay around in the sunshine, eat all
> > want, no bills to pay, never have to work like a dog ... :) No thumbs
and
> > too short so you wouldn't even think of ASKING me to do the dishes ...
> > No housework, some geeky chick with a broom and dustpan tidying
> > up after me ... I could go on and on.
> >

> Oh, wouldn't that be the life!

Really, they have great lives, at least the indoor kitties do.

cybercat
March 13th 06, 01:45 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote:

> Yeah. Bukowski was a character.

He was a pig with a capital "P." He once said, "There are
a lot of obnoxious characters working their way into immortality.
I'm working on it myself.

>He was more a self-styled literary
> figure than a literary artist, but he could write.

He was a poet. Yes he was a writer. Before all the recent
hype, he was a poet's poet, just him and the old typewriter,
the beer, the booze, the whores, fresh California oranges
and avocados and the horses.

It was not until the 1980s that the "literary persona" was born,
with the help of a bunch of half-witted college punks who thought
Bukowski was all about "**** it, man. Just **** it."

Check out "The Twins," from an anthology called "Burning In
Water, Drowning in Flame." Great early stuff he wrote in the
1960s.

> This is really a prose vignette broken into lines, but it's very
> telling.

It's poetry. Where you bean? :) Blank verse, whatever it is
called. Very cutting edge when he started out.

> I have already mentioned in this group about the time I was in LA and
> there was a mouse squirming on a glue trap in the graphics dept. The
> girls put a wastebasket over it so they didn't have to look.
>
> I went to the supply cabinet and got one of those manilla folders, and
> put the trapped mouse in it, and crushed it with my shoe. After that
> the girls called me "the psycho." I didn't care, and I played into
> the joke, but they were waiting for B&G to come take care of the
> problem, and meanwhile that poor ****in animal was crying in pain and
> fear.

Yep, you get it. :) I can usually count on you to.

Another great work of his: an underground newspaper out of
Berkeley in the 60s called "Notes of a Dirty Old Man." The
columns, with had names like "Politics is Like Trying to Screw
a Cat in the Ass" were collected into a book once entitled
boldly across a grainy photo of Bukowski's face "Erections,
Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary
Madness." I note that in the last twenty years it new editions
have been renamed "General Tales of Ordinary Madness."
A great story in there: "Shot a Man in Reno."

I fell in love with Bukowski's writing as a young teenager,
but always knew I never wanted to meet him because he was
a pig--I may have felt differently if I were a man. Maybe not.

meee
March 13th 06, 01:50 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "meee" > wrote
>
>> > Yes! Were I a cat. And I wish I was. Lay around in the sunshine, eat
>> > all
>> > want, no bills to pay, never have to work like a dog ... :) No thumbs
> and
>> > too short so you wouldn't even think of ASKING me to do the dishes ...
>> > No housework, some geeky chick with a broom and dustpan tidying
>> > up after me ... I could go on and on.
>> >

>> Oh, wouldn't that be the life!
>>
> Really, they have great lives, at least the indoor kitties do.

Huh!! Let's just say that if there's one tin of tuna left, I'm not the one
that gets to eat it....

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 13th 06, 01:54 AM
What is a tin of tuna. I haven't had a full can of tuna in years it is
like they know the difference in a soup can, their cat food can and than the
tuna can.
Ever see that Mcdees commercial where the guy sleeps thru everything and
than the wife opens a breakfast bag and he is instantly there. I could be
doing that with the tuna can look down no cats start the can openers look
down all cats looking at me with that look where is mine.

"meee" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "meee" > wrote

>> and
>>> >

>>> Oh, wouldn't that be the life!
>>>
>> Really, they have great lives, at least the indoor kitties do.
>>

> Huh!! Let's just say that if there's one tin of tuna left, I'm not the one
> that gets to eat it....

meee
March 13th 06, 02:14 AM
"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
> What is a tin of tuna. I haven't had a full can of tuna in years it is
> like they know the difference in a soup can, their cat food can and than
> the tuna can.
> Ever see that Mcdees commercial where the guy sleeps thru everything and
> than the wife opens a breakfast bag and he is instantly there. I could be
> doing that with the tuna can look down no cats start the can openers look
> down all cats looking at me with that look where is mine.

I call it the 'that's my tuna you're eating' look

> "meee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "meee" > wrote

>>> and

>>> Really, they have great lives, at least the indoor kitties do.
>>>

>> Huh!! Let's just say that if there's one tin of tuna left, I'm not the
>> one that gets to eat it....

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 13th 06, 02:17 AM
I call it put it in my dish now look with out the please to go with it.

or the how dare you not have me a dish ready yet

I tell you it is a conspiracy they know I tell you they know :-)

"meee" > wrote in message

> "Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
> @linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
>> What is a tin of tuna. I haven't had a full can of tuna in years it is
>> like they know the difference in a soup can, their cat food can and than
>> the tuna can.
>> Ever see that Mcdees commercial where the guy sleeps thru everything and
>> than the wife opens a breakfast bag and he is instantly there. I could
>> be doing that with the tuna can look down no cats start the can openers
>> look down all cats looking at me with that look where is mine.
>
> I call it the 'that's my tuna you're eating' look

>>> Huh!! Let's just say that if there's one tin of tuna left, I'm not the
>>> one that gets to eat it....

meee
March 13th 06, 02:44 AM
I swear mine can read. Yesterday I decided to test their language skills,
and called out 'chicken' there was a stampede I tell you!!!

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
>I call it put it in my dish now look with out the please to go with it.
>
> or the how dare you not have me a dish ready yet
>
> I tell you it is a conspiracy they know I tell you they know :-)
>
> "meee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
>> @linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
>>> What is a tin of tuna. I haven't had a full can of tuna in years it is
>>> like they know the difference in a soup can, their cat food can and than
>>> the tuna can.
>>> Ever see that Mcdees commercial where the guy sleeps thru everything and
>>> than the wife opens a breakfast bag and he is instantly there. I could
>>> be doing that with the tuna can look down no cats start the can openers
>>> look down all cats looking at me with that look where is mine.
>>
>> I call it the 'that's my tuna you're eating' look

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 13th 06, 02:46 AM
My rumble knows what color his treat bags are and the difference in brand
when he wants a certain one he picks the bag up and drops it in front of me.
if one is unopened he gets the bag he wants and drops it in front on me.
I swear they know

"meee" > wrote in message
>I swear mine can read. Yesterday I decided to test their language skills,
>and called out 'chicken' there was a stampede I tell you!!!
>
> "Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
> @linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
>>I call it put it in my dish now look with out the please to go with it.
>>
>> or the how dare you not have me a dish ready yet
>>
>> I tell you it is a conspiracy they know I tell you they know :-)
>>
>> "meee" > wrote in message

>>> I call it the 'that's my tuna you're eating' look

meee
March 13th 06, 03:35 AM
wow!! That is one smart cat!!

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
. ..
> My rumble knows what color his treat bags are and the difference in brand
> when he wants a certain one he picks the bag up and drops it in front of
> me. if one is unopened he gets the bag he wants and drops it in front on
> me.
> I swear they know
>
> "meee" > wrote in message
>>I swear mine can read. Yesterday I decided to test their language skills,
>>and called out 'chicken' there was a stampede I tell you!!!
>>
>> "Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
>> @linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
>>>I call it put it in my dish now look with out the please to go with it.
>>>
>>> or the how dare you not have me a dish ready yet
>>>
>>> I tell you it is a conspiracy they know I tell you they know :-)

Charlie Wilkes
March 13th 06, 05:50 AM
On 13 Mar 2006 02:45:17 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote:
>> >
>> Yeah. Bukowski was a character.
>
>He was a pig with a capital "P." He once said, "There are
>a lot of obnoxious characters working their way into immortality.
>I'm working on it myself.
>
>>He was more a self-styled literary
>> figure than a literary artist, but he could write.
>
>He was a poet. Yes he was a writer. Before all the recent
>hype, he was a poet's poet, just him and the old typewriter,
>the beer, the booze, the whores, fresh California oranges
>and avocados and the horses.
>
>It was not until the 1980s that the "literary persona" was born,
>with the help of a bunch of half-witted college punks who thought
>Bukowski was all about "**** it, man. Just **** it."
>
>Check out "The Twins," from an anthology called "Burning In
>Water, Drowning in Flame." Great early stuff he wrote in the
>1960s.
>

>> This is really a prose vignette broken into lines, but it's very
>> telling.
>
>It's poetry. Where you bean? :) Blank verse, whatever it is
>called. Very cutting edge when he started out.

It's surely not blank verse. Shakespeare wrote in blank verse. But,
you can style it as free verse and no one can argue because the rules
don't really exist. I would call it prose disguised as poetry, which
is what I think of a lot of poetry from the past 90 years or so.
World War I is the great dividing line. BUT, there are people who
know far more than I do, who would vigorously dispute many of my
views.

>> I have already mentioned in this group about the time I was in LA and
>> there was a mouse squirming on a glue trap in the graphics dept. The
>> girls put a wastebasket over it so they didn't have to look.
>>
>> I went to the supply cabinet and got one of those manilla folders, and
>> put the trapped mouse in it, and crushed it with my shoe. After that
>> the girls called me "the psycho." I didn't care, and I played into
>> the joke, but they were waiting for B&G to come take care of the
>> problem, and meanwhile that poor ****in animal was crying in pain and
>> fear.
>>

>Yep, you get it. :) I can usually count on you to.
>
>Another great work of his: an underground newspaper out of
>Berkeley in the 60s called "Notes of a Dirty Old Man." The
>columns, with had names like "Politics is Like Trying to Screw
>a Cat in the Ass" were collected into a book once entitled
>boldly across a grainy photo of Bukowski's face "Erections,
>Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary
>Madness." I note that in the last twenty years it new editions
>have been renamed "General Tales of Ordinary Madness."
>A great story in there: "Shot a Man in Reno."
>
>I fell in love with Bukowski's writing as a young teenager,
>but always knew I never wanted to meet him because he was
>a pig--I may have felt differently if I were a man. Maybe not.

That title is what I mean when I describe Bukowski as a self-styled
literary persona. He tried to communicate what it ~feels~ like to be
a writer, the way Feynman tried to communicate what it ~feels~ like to
be a physicist. Which is not to say that Bukowski wasn't a good
writer or that Feynman wasn't a good physicist. Both had their craft
well in hand.

Charlie

cybercat
March 13th 06, 06:00 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote

> >It's poetry. Where you bean? :) Blank verse, whatever it is
> >called. Very cutting edge when he started out.
>
> It's surely not blank verse. Shakespeare wrote in blank verse. But,
> you can style it as free verse and no one can argue because the rules
> don't really exist.

Hee! BUSTED! I always confused the two terms, "blank verse"
and "free verse." *hanging my head* I think I even missed them
on tests.

>I would call it prose disguised as poetry, which
> is what I think of a lot of poetry from the past 90 years or so.
> World War I is the great dividing line. BUT, there are people who
> know far more than I do, who would vigorously dispute many of my
> views.

I just like powerful words. Even better if they have some built-in
rhythm. Actually, Cummings was good at that, despite his annoying
"anti-convention" conventions like the lower case.

While I appreciate "craft" very much (and I am discussing my betters
in all of even the worst examples I might give) I do think beautiful and
true (or just artful) things can be said without relying too much on
artificial form. "Iambic pentameter," etc. (That's the only term I recall,
Muhaha!) That said, I am a major Edgar Allan Poe freak and I even
like ... hold on to your gag reflex ... T. S. Eliot.

> That title is what I mean when I describe Bukowski as a self-styled
> literary persona. He tried to communicate what it ~feels~ like to be
> a writer, the way Feynman tried to communicate what it ~feels~ like to
> be a physicist. Which is not to say that Bukowski wasn't a good
> writer or that Feynman wasn't a good physicist. Both had their craft
> well in hand.

Ahh, I see. I am going to save that up and think about it tomorrow
when my poor little brain is not so shriveled.

:)

cybercat
March 13th 06, 04:42 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > That title is what I mean when I describe Bukowski as a self-styled
> > literary persona. He tried to communicate what it ~feels~ like to be
> > a writer, the way Feynman tried to communicate what it ~feels~ like to
> > be a physicist. Which is not to say that Bukowski wasn't a good
> > writer or that Feynman wasn't a good physicist. Both had their craft
> > well in hand.
> >

> Ahh, I see. I am going to save that up and think about it tomorrow
> when my poor little brain is not so shriveled.

Well, I thought about it and just want to say, "Yep." Excellent
observation. I had not realized that, but thinking back, it really
is true.