PDA

View Full Version : SPAY WOUND

March 12th 06, 11:58 AM
Hi

How does this wound look, 3 days after the Spay ? I am new to
this. The cat was spayed after a suspected abortion and associated
infection. She is doing well , active,, good appetite. Keeping her
inside with a elizebethan collar until I am happy her wound is ready
to take any bumps .

http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldragon5/WOUND2.jpg

The actual wound looks tiny compared to the [photo. Perhaps 3 CM
long in reality

Andrew

Sherri
March 12th 06, 08:52 PM
The picture is huge,so its hard to get a good look.

Are you cleaning it twice a day with peroxide & water? If not,I dont
like the looks of drainage.When our cats go home after a spay, the area
should be clean,dry with no drainage. I just dont like the look of
it.And is that dried blood? why did the vet clean it all off before the
cat was released?

Are you keeping the cat calm? (not letting it run around and jump?)

Sherri
March 12th 06, 09:15 PM
My post should have said, why DIDNT the vet clean off before its release

John Ross Mc Master
March 12th 06, 11:37 PM
On 12 Mar 2006 03:58:27 -0800, wrote:

>Hi
>
>How does this wound look, 3 days after the Spay ? I am new to
>this. The cat was spayed after a suspected abortion and associated
>infection. She is doing well , active,, good appetite. Keeping her
>inside with a elizebethan collar until I am happy her wound is ready
>to take any bumps .
>
>http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldragon5/WOUND2.jpg
>
>The actual wound looks tiny compared to the [photo. Perhaps 3 CM
>long in reality
>
> Andrew

The vet should have used the self dissolving sutures. Apart from that,
it MAY be OK. Send a picture at 5 days.

Cheryl Sellner
March 13th 06, 01:46 AM
On Sun 12 Mar 2006 06:58:27a, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

> Hi
>
> How does this wound look, 3 days after the Spay ? I am
> new to this. The cat was spayed after a suspected abortion
> and associated infection. She is doing well , active,, good
> appetite. Keeping her inside with a elizebethan collar until
> I am happy her wound is ready to take any bumps .
>
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldragon5/WOUND2.jpg
>
> The actual wound looks tiny compared to the [photo. Perhaps
> 3 CM long in reality
>
> Andrew

Looks good to me. A little bit of dried blood, but that's normal.
It isn't swollen, and that's key. My little girl had a complication
from her spay, and developed an infection under the skin, well
under the suture site. She had a reaction to the internal sutures,
so just watch out for lack of appetite, and apparent pain. For my
Scarlett it was obvious, because she all of a sudden started
walking like a little old lady. Very very slowly. She was about 5
months old at the time of her spay. The vet had to reopen her and
insert a drain. She was fine after a round of antibiotics.

--
Cheryl

March 13th 06, 09:14 AM
The part that looks wet is actually dry to touch. No fluid absorbs
into any tissue paper and so the glistening appearance of that part of
the wound is a little misleading. The Cats Protection League paid
for the op. It was performed at the most inexpensive vets practice
in my town by a young lady vett who I think is in her first job. The
animals post operatively (I discovered when I collected her) are
kept in a cold back room and without a nurse being present there. The
cat could easily have pulled out a stitch or mutilated her own wound
during the hours between surgery and my collecting her. I feel great
misgivings about having selected that vets practice. The Cat is on a
10 day course of antibotics due to infection of uterus (she had been
aborting) At the moment she seems to be making steady progress.
But that vets, never again. The Vets Secretary tok us to the animal
collection room, and it was hard to get to see the surgeon, who then
seemed in too much os a rush to give me proper aftercare advice

Rhonda
March 13th 06, 07:13 PM
Sherri wrote:

> The picture is huge,so its hard to get a good look.
>
> Are you cleaning it twice a day with peroxide & water? If not,I dont
> like the looks of drainage.When our cats go home after a spay, the area
> should be clean,dry with no drainage. I just dont like the look of
> it.And is that dried blood? why did the vet clean it all off before the
> cat was released?

Sherri,

I wasn't quite sure if you meant cleaning with peroxide and water is a
good thing or a bad thing.

I wouldn't use peroxide on my cats, except to cleanse a wound
immediately after it happened. I wouldn't use it on a surgical incision.
It keeps the wound open and doesn't allow a scab to form.

Rhonda