PDA

View Full Version : Transdermal gel

Ryan Robbins
March 13th 06, 04:01 AM
My 14-year-old cat, Sara, was diagnosed in November with hyperthyroidism and
chronic renal failure. The CRF is holding steady with daily fluids, despite
Sara's refusal to eat the prescription food. The hyperthyroidism is another
thing: Sara absolutely refuses to let me give her the methimazole pill. I've
tried using a pill dispenser, with limited success, and Sara sniffs out the
medicine when I crush it and put it in her tuna and refuses to eat it.

So I left a message for the vet Friday asking about giving Sara the
methimazole in a transdermal gel. Has anyone here had experience with a
transdermal gel for any condition?

Sara's been losing a lot of weight lately, so I know the importance of
reversing that trend and of staving off heart failure.

Thanks,
Ryan

Phil P.
March 13th 06, 05:12 AM
"Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 14-year-old cat, Sara, was diagnosed in November with hyperthyroidism
and
> chronic renal failure. The CRF is holding steady with daily fluids,
despite
> Sara's refusal to eat the prescription food. The hyperthyroidism is
another
> thing: Sara absolutely refuses to let me give her the methimazole pill.
I've
> tried using a pill dispenser, with limited success, and Sara sniffs out
the
> medicine when I crush it and put it in her tuna and refuses to eat it.
>
> So I left a message for the vet Friday asking about giving Sara the
> methimazole in a transdermal gel. Has anyone here had experience with a
> transdermal gel for any condition?

I've used the gel on several cats- its very easy to apply and works well.
All you have to do is rub it into the inside of the earflap. The gel comes
in 1 ml syringes- usually 2.5 mg/0.1 ml. You must wear finger covers or
exam gloves so you don't absorb methimazole though your skin.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Drugs/tapazol_gel+finger_cover.jpg

You can also get methimazole formulated into a flavored suspension (fish,
liver, chicken, etc) which is administered orally between the teeth and the
buccal wall with a syringe. Some cats like it so much that they lap it up
like a treat. A small ceramic teabag holder makes a perfect dish.

Good luck,

Phil

Ryan Robbins
March 13th 06, 09:20 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>> So I left a message for the vet Friday asking about giving Sara the
>> methimazole in a transdermal gel. Has anyone here had experience with a
>> transdermal gel for any condition?
>

> I've used the gel on several cats- its very easy to apply and works well.
> All you have to do is rub it into the inside of the earflap. The gel
> comes
> in 1 ml syringes- usually 2.5 mg/0.1 ml.

How much extra can I expect to pay for a month's supply?

March 13th 06, 01:10 PM
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:01:43 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
> wrote:

>My 14-year-old cat, Sara, was diagnosed in November with hyperthyroidism and
>chronic renal failure. The CRF is holding steady with daily fluids, despite
>Sara's refusal to eat the prescription food. The hyperthyroidism is another
>thing: Sara absolutely refuses to let me give her the methimazole pill. I've
>tried using a pill dispenser, with limited success, and Sara sniffs out the
>medicine when I crush it and put it in her tuna and refuses to eat it.
>
>So I left a message for the vet Friday asking about giving Sara the
>methimazole in a transdermal gel. Has anyone here had experience with a
>transdermal gel for any condition?
>
>Sara's been losing a lot of weight lately, so I know the importance of
>reversing that trend and of staving off heart failure.

Ryan,

Try these:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444181 1205&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025586&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1142251704748&itemNo=0&Ntt=pill+pocket&In=All&previousText=pill+pocket&N=2

In case that doesn't link right, look for Pill Pockets at your pet
supply store. I have a cat I'm giving multiple pills to. She went
from hiding under the bed to "may I have my medicine please?".

Rob

Phil P.
March 13th 06, 02:50 PM
"Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
>
> >> So I left a message for the vet Friday asking about giving Sara the
> >> methimazole in a transdermal gel. Has anyone here had experience with a
> >> transdermal gel for any condition?
> >

> > I've used the gel on several cats- its very easy to apply and works
well.
> > All you have to do is rub it into the inside of the earflap. The gel
> > comes
> > in 1 ml syringes- usually 2.5 mg/0.1 ml.
>
> How much extra can I expect to pay for a month's supply?

About $20-25.

Wilbur Post
March 14th 06, 03:40 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I've used the gel on several cats- its very easy to apply and works
> well. All you have to do is rub it into the inside of the earflap.
> The gel comes in 1 ml syringes- usually 2.5 mg/0.1 ml. You must wear
> finger covers or exam gloves so you don't absorb methimazole though
> your skin.
>
> http://www.maxshouse.com/Drugs/tapazol_gel+finger_cover.jpg
>
> You can also get methimazole formulated into a flavored suspension
> (fish, liver, chicken, etc) which is administered orally between the
> teeth and the buccal wall with a syringe. Some cats like it so much
> that they lap it up like a treat. A small ceramic teabag holder makes
> a perfect dish.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil

Phil, your advice is terrific and better than that of many vets.
Did you ever think of setting up a nationwide system of vet techs who
can make home visits and either give instructions for med application or
perform the administration of it? Every large and small town should have
hundreds of qualified people doing this for the elderly and those who
work a full day, and just can't afford either the time or money to go to
a vet on a regular basis.

Wilbur Post
March 14th 06, 03:47 PM
" > wrote in
:

> http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8
> 45524441811205&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025586&ASSORTMENT%3C%3Ea
> st_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1142251704748&itemNo=0&Ntt=pill+pocket&In=
> All&previousText=pill+pocket&N=2

I tried the Pill Pockets and my cat wouldn't touch it.

I've found the easiest way to give a cat a pill is to buy some low sodium
turkey breast at the appetizing counter of your supermarket or deli.

1)crunch the pill into powder using a folded piece of paper and a spoon.
Put pressure on the spoon and crunch the pill into a fine powder.

2) Put a little powder into a small piece of turkey breast and then roll
it up so that the powder isn't visible and easy to smell over the scent
of the turkey. Do that until you have enough pieces for the whole pill.

My cat, who is extremely particular regarding what she eats, will eat at
least 2/3 of it, leaving over what she can tell is the strange smelling
turkey that contains the powder. She always comes back licking her chops
for more, knowing that she will only get her treat when it's pill time
again.

At most, I use only about half of a thin slice of turkey breast for each
5 mg Prednisolone pill.

Phil P.
March 14th 06, 04:48 PM
"Wilbur Post" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." > wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > I've used the gel on several cats- its very easy to apply and works
> > well. All you have to do is rub it into the inside of the earflap.
> > The gel comes in 1 ml syringes- usually 2.5 mg/0.1 ml. You must wear
> > finger covers or exam gloves so you don't absorb methimazole though
> > your skin.
> >
> > http://www.maxshouse.com/Drugs/tapazol_gel+finger_cover.jpg
> >
> > You can also get methimazole formulated into a flavored suspension
> > (fish, liver, chicken, etc) which is administered orally between the
> > teeth and the buccal wall with a syringe. Some cats like it so much
> > that they lap it up like a treat. A small ceramic teabag holder makes
> > a perfect dish.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Phil
>

> Phil, your advice is terrific and better than that of many vets.
> Did you ever think of setting up a nationwide system of vet techs who
> can make home visits and either give instructions for med application or
> perform the administration of it? Every large and small town should have
> hundreds of qualified people doing this for the elderly and those who
> work a full day, and just can't afford either the time or money to go to
> a vet on a regular basis.

Sounds like a great idea- but between my feral colonies, the shelter and
clinic and work, I just don't have the time. I took a few days off because
I'm nursing a cat through hepatic lipidosis, but the tube comes out tomorrow
so its back to my usual routine.

Phil

Phil P.
March 14th 06, 04:49 PM
"Wilbur Post" > wrote in message
> " > wrote in
> :
>
> > http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8
> > 45524441811205&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025586&ASSORTMENT%3C%3Ea
> > st_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1142251704748&itemNo=0&Ntt=pill+pocket&In=
> > All&previousText=pill+pocket&N=2
>
> I tried the Pill Pockets and my cat wouldn't touch it.
>
> I've found the easiest way to give a cat a pill is to buy some low sodium
> turkey breast at the appetizing counter of your supermarket or deli.
>
> 1)crunch the pill into powder using a folded piece of paper and a spoon.
> Put pressure on the spoon and crunch the pill into a fine powder.
>
> 2) Put a little powder into a small piece of turkey breast and then roll
> it up so that the powder isn't visible and easy to smell over the scent
> of the turkey. Do that until you have enough pieces for the whole pill.

That's a great idea and would probably work well with most pills. The only
suggestion I would add is too make sure its ok to crush the pill and that
the med can be taken with food.

Phil