PDA

View Full Version : High Calcium Level


Gary Brown
March 13th 06, 05:29 AM
Hi,

Our 13 yr old male has a high calcium level. Does anyone have experience
with this problem that they can share?

The vets say cancer is likely but thus far haven't found a tumor. Another
possibility mentioned is a syndrome that results in high calcium level.

He has lost a pound in the past 3 months. Over the last two weeks his
eating has dropped off and he isn't begging for treats. He has eaten very
little today. He's never been a consistent eater but after such a weight
loss
its a concern. Is there anything we might do to help his appetite?

Otherwise than less eating, he isn't showing any obvious symptoms. He is
his usual spoiled, demanding self.

Out vet seems competent but Tufts Veternary School is only an hour away.
Does anyone have any recommendations there?

Thanks,
Gary

Phil P.
March 13th 06, 06:31 AM
"Gary Brown" > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
>
> Our 13 yr old male has a high calcium level. Does anyone have experience
> with this problem that they can share?
>
> The vets say cancer is likely but thus far haven't found a tumor.


Not necessarily. Hypercalcemia is not linked with cancer as closely in cats
as it in dogs. Hypercalcemia = cancer is simply an extrapolation from
another species.


Another
> possibility mentioned is a syndrome that results in high calcium level.


Yeah, its called "Idiopathic hypercalcemia" and its not uncommon in cats.
In fact the prevelance seems to be increasing

>
> He has lost a pound in the past 3 months. Over the last two weeks his
> eating has dropped off and he isn't begging for treats. He has eaten very
> little today. He's never been a consistent eater but after such a weight
> loss
> its a concern. Is there anything we might do to help his appetite?
>
> Otherwise than less eating, he isn't showing any obvious symptoms. He is
> his usual spoiled, demanding self.
>
> Out vet seems competent but Tufts Veternary School is only an hour away.
> Does anyone have any recommendations there?
>

If calcium was the only abnormal value, I'd have the calcium panel run
again. For some reason, high calcium panels are frequently erroneous-
moreso than any other biochemistry test.

Also, you might want to consider checking his serum PTH concentration to
rule out hyperparathyroidism. Was is phosphorus levels normal or low? How
about BUN/creatinine?

Phil

Fuga :o\)
March 14th 06, 05:00 AM
"Gary Brown" > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
>
> Our 13 yr old male has a high calcium level. Does anyone have experience
> with this problem that they can share?
>
> The vets say cancer is likely but thus far haven't found a tumor. Another
> possibility mentioned is a syndrome that results in high calcium level.

One of my cats was diagnosed about 3 years ago with a high calcium level.
He's still alive and it wasn't from cancer. The vet's first reaction was
cancer but said it could also be related to arthritis or kidney disease. In
our case it turned out to be a degenerative bone disease.

Gary Brown
April 4th 06, 04:27 PM
All of the test you mentioned were taken and were normal.
Calcium tests were taken in October, December, and March
and were 12.something.

Dr Bari Spielman at Vescone did more tests - abdominal scan,
liver and bone marrow samples as well as more blood tests.
Because nothing was found and the calcium level has been
reasonably constant so we are treating him for "idiopathic".
We are giving him Prednisone and electrolytes. His eating has
improved but is still off. More on this in another topic.

Thanks to you and Fuga for your responses. Any additional
thoughts are welcome.

Gary