PDA

View Full Version : Cat on long drive


doug
March 14th 06, 12:41 AM
I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
in the evening, late.

This might be okay for a day or so, but I would hesitate to go on a
LONG trip, say, eight days; I am afraid it would hurt her.

I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
when I sit her on it.

She's a relatively young cat (seven years) and small to medium, in good
health.

Thanks in advance..

Cheryl
March 14th 06, 01:52 AM
On Mon 13 Mar 2006 08:14:03p, Brandy Alexandre wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

>
> I hope you're not saying you drive with the cat roaming around
> the car.
>

Oh, ****. I sure hope not. Sounds that way though. Time to recount
my story from last year. I witnessed someones pet jump out of their
car window in rush hour traffic on the Capital Beltway in the DC
area. At the time I thought it was a smallish dog, but the more the
incident played out in my mind when I tried to sleep, or passed the
same spot again, I think it was a cat. It's movement was more cat-
like the way it scaled the jersey wall. It was sadly killed, and
I'll never get the image of the pet's companion's grief when he
witnessed it, out of my mind.

Always keep pets confined within the vehicle, whether it be a dog
or cat. They make seatbelt additions for dogs, and carriers or
crates for cats are going to make everyone more comfortable during
a road trip.

--
Cheryl

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 14th 06, 02:26 AM
>I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
>she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
>she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
>in the evening, late.
>I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
>anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
>litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
>when I sit her on it.

How about getting a large dog crate and putting your cat in there along with
the litter box? I have a cat who urinates only once a day, maybe your's is
like that too.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Boxwood Studios
March 14th 06, 02:26 AM
NO!! I love her and I'm very, very careful with her. She has a large kitty
carrier with a heavy, soft blanket, her toys, and I talk to her a lot and
set it so she can see me driving. I would never, EVER, let her out unless I
was safely parked and the doors locked. And then put her back in the
carrier.

But I do try to let her pee. She just won't. She's upset by the ride and
the move.





"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> On Mon 13 Mar 2006 08:14:03p, Brandy Alexandre wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> ):
>
>>
>> I hope you're not saying you drive with the cat roaming around
>> the car.
>>
>
> Oh, ****. I sure hope not. Sounds that way though. Time to recount
> my story from last year. I witnessed someones pet jump out of their
> car window in rush hour traffic on the Capital Beltway in the DC
> area. At the time I thought it was a smallish dog, but the more the
> incident played out in my mind when I tried to sleep, or passed the
> same spot again, I think it was a cat. It's movement was more cat-
> like the way it scaled the jersey wall. It was sadly killed, and
> I'll never get the image of the pet's companion's grief when he
> witnessed it, out of my mind.
>
> Always keep pets confined within the vehicle, whether it be a dog
> or cat. They make seatbelt additions for dogs, and carriers or
> crates for cats are going to make everyone more comfortable during
> a road trip.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Cheryl
March 14th 06, 02:37 AM
On Mon 13 Mar 2006 09:26:42p, Boxwood Studios wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

>
> NO!! I love her and I'm very, very careful with her. She has a
> large kitty carrier with a heavy, soft blanket, her toys, and I
> talk to her a lot and set it so she can see me driving. I would
> never, EVER, let her out unless I was safely parked and the
> doors locked. And then put her back in the carrier.
>
Ok, whew! I'm sorry. That brought all those horrible memories back.

> But I do try to let her pee. She just won't. She's upset by
> the ride and the move.
>

None of my cats like car rides, either. That's why I'm so glad I
found a vet I really like whose office is 5 minutes from my house.
But, I think rather than having a view (whether it be of you, or
the sites), a covered carrier is best. When cats are scared, they
like to hide. A covered carrier that doesn't allow for a view out
is like hiding. Drape a sheet over it.

--
Cheryl

meee
March 14th 06, 02:43 AM
"Kelcey via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
>>she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
>>she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
>>in the evening, late.
>>I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
>>anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
>>litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
>>when I sit her on it.
>
> How about getting a large dog crate and putting your cat in there along
> with
> the litter box? I have a cat who urinates only once a day, maybe your's
> is
> like that too.
>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Is it possible to stop for an hour at a service station, take her into a
restroom with her litter tray, and let her have a little relax and pee?
Unless she's likely to panic and bolt for the door, this could be one
solution for her.

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 14th 06, 02:56 AM
>But I do try to let her pee. She just won't. She's upset by the ride and
>the move.

Perhaps if she had the litter box in the crate with her (the large dog crate
I suggested), then she could go when she wanted to instead of you having to
stop and place her into the box on the floor. Maybe it makes her more
anxious to be taken out and put into the box while you wait for her to go
(performance anxiety?).

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200603/1

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 14th 06, 03:54 AM
>But, I think rather than having a view (whether it be of you, or
>the sites), a covered carrier is best. When cats are scared, they
>like to hide. A covered carrier that doesn't allow for a view out
>is like hiding. Drape a sheet over it.

That's a good idea. I remember them doing this (covering the carrier with a
towel) to the feral cats at the shelter when they had to take them in a car
to the vet.

NanCe

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200603/1

cybercat
March 14th 06, 05:58 AM
"NanCe via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >But, I think rather than having a view (whether it be of you, or
> >the sites), a covered carrier is best. When cats are scared, they
> >like to hide. A covered carrier that doesn't allow for a view out
> >is like hiding. Drape a sheet over it.
>
> That's a good idea. I remember them doing this (covering the carrier with
a
> towel) to the feral cats at the shelter when they had to take them in a
car
> to the vet.
>

I don't know, I drove my cat in a closed carrier from Texas to North
Carolina
and she howled and screamed the whole way. If it were me, I think I would
have to find a way to leave the cat home unless I was actually relocating.
It
was harrowing! She was a real howler, just the sound would leave you
shaken up.

Ajanta
March 14th 06, 07:09 AM
doug > wrote:

: I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
: she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
: she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
: in the evening, late.
:
: This might be okay for a day or so, but I would hesitate to go on a
: LONG trip, say, eight days; I am afraid it would hurt her.

I am no expert but my gut feeling is, if you love her, just leave her
with a good sitter, friend or professional. I know you want her to be
with you but she will be safer this way. There will be the stress of
change for her, but perhaps no more so than that of travel.

Frank Pittel
March 16th 06, 09:03 PM
Boxwood Studios > wrote:
: NO!! I love her and I'm very, very careful with her. She has a large kitty
: carrier with a heavy, soft blanket, her toys, and I talk to her a lot and
: set it so she can see me driving. I would never, EVER, let her out unless I
: was safely parked and the doors locked. And then put her back in the
: carrier.

: But I do try to let her pee. She just won't. She's upset by the ride and
: the move.


What I always did was to keep a litter pan (actually a small throw away baking
pan), water and food outside of the carrier. I made frequent stops and while
stopped put the water, food and litter pan in the carrier. I would then cover
the carrier and with the windows rolled down a bit would leave the cat alone
in the car for 10-15 minutes. Now I leave the cats at home when I travel.
It's easier on them and me! :-)


: "Cheryl" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Mon 13 Mar 2006 08:14:03p, Brandy Alexandre wrote in
: > rec.pets.cats.health+behav
: > ):
: >
: >>
: >> I hope you're not saying you drive with the cat roaming around
: >> the car.
: >>
: >
: > Oh, ****. I sure hope not. Sounds that way though. Time to recount
: > my story from last year. I witnessed someones pet jump out of their
: > car window in rush hour traffic on the Capital Beltway in the DC
: > area. At the time I thought it was a smallish dog, but the more the
: > incident played out in my mind when I tried to sleep, or passed the
: > same spot again, I think it was a cat. It's movement was more cat-
: > like the way it scaled the jersey wall. It was sadly killed, and
: > I'll never get the image of the pet's companion's grief when he
: > witnessed it, out of my mind.
: >
: > Always keep pets confined within the vehicle, whether it be a dog
: > or cat. They make seatbelt additions for dogs, and carriers or
: > crates for cats are going to make everyone more comfortable during
: > a road trip.
: >
: > --
: > Cheryl



--




-------------------
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

Miami Jones
March 17th 06, 01:10 PM
IBen Getiner wrote:

> What are you worried about...? When the cat has to go, she'll go.
> That's the way nature made things, Doug. Better yet, put a litter box
> in her transport cage and just drive straight on thru. No hassles.
> Why is it that grown men like you are suddenly sooo friggin' sensitive
> about this kind of thing, anyway...? You're a pussy-whipped, feminized
> little lily-livered coward girlie-man, that's what you are. Aren't
> you...

can always count on you for a toid

March 17th 06, 07:52 PM
Actually, "Doug" is really a woman posing as a man for what reason, I
don't know.

Do a search on "Connie Sunday" or Boxwood Studios or Techfiddle
or...well, she has at least 20 alias she uses to post with.

If you read some of her other posts, it appears she is relocating to
Canada and wants to renounce her US Citizenship.

Wonder what her cat thinks of this? ;-)

IBen Getiner wrote:
> doug wrote:
> > I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
> > she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
> > she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
> > in the evening, late.
> >
> > This might be okay for a day or so, but I would hesitate to go on a
> > LONG trip, say, eight days; I am afraid it would hurt her.
> >
> > I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
> > anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
> > litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
> > when I sit her on it.
> >
> > She's a relatively young cat (seven years) and small to medium, in good
> > health.
> >
> > Thanks in advance..
>
> What are you worried about...? When the cat has to go, she'll go.
> That's the way nature made things, Doug. Better yet, put a litter box
> in her transport cage and just drive straight on thru. No hassles.
> Why is it that grown men like you are suddenly sooo friggin' sensitive
> about this kind of thing, anyway...? You're a pussy-whipped, feminized
> little lily-livered coward girlie-man, that's what you are. Aren't
> you...
>
>
>
> IBen

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 17th 06, 07:54 PM
"Miami Jones" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> IBen Getiner wrote:
Once an [email protected]@hole always an [email protected]@hole thank the gods for kill file
now if we can get people to snipe the [email protected]@holes comments it can be a
perfect world :-) No offense Barry

IBen Getiner
March 17th 06, 09:58 PM
wrote:

> Actually, "Doug" is really a woman posing as a man for what reason, I
> don't know.
>
> Do a search on "Connie Sunday" or Boxwood Studios or Techfiddle
> or...well, she has at least 20 alias she uses to post with.
>
> If you read some of her other posts, it appears she is relocating to
> Canada and wants to renounce her US Citizenship.
>
> Wonder what her cat thinks of this? ;-)
>
> IBen Getiner wrote:
> > doug wrote:
> > > I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
> > > she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
> > > she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
> > > in the evening, late.
> > >
> > > This might be okay for a day or so, but I would hesitate to go on a
> > > LONG trip, say, eight days; I am afraid it would hurt her.
> > >
> > > I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
> > > anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
> > > litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
> > > when I sit her on it.
> > >
> > > She's a relatively young cat (seven years) and small to medium, in good
> > > health.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance..
> >
> > What are you worried about...? When the cat has to go, she'll go.
> > That's the way nature made things, Doug. Better yet, put a litter box
> > in her transport cage and just drive straight on thru. No hassles.
> > Why is it that grown men like you are suddenly sooo friggin' sensitive
> > about this kind of thing, anyway...? You're a pussy-whipped, feminized
> > little lily-livered coward girlie-man, that's what you are. Aren't
> > you...
> >
> >
> >
> > IBen

Hahh..! Can IBen pick 'em or what...?! I knew there was sympathic
feministic stank in there. It was obvious to me from the start that
this 'doug' was either a woman or a sissified guy. Couldn't have been
a queer though, because they act about 10 times more feminine than any
women I ever met. Further proof of my keen sense of smell.
As for her kat, I imagine it will be just as happy living in a
socialist country as it digs being here. Just as long as that food
keeps-a-coming. The same holds true for Mzzz. Connie, I'm quite sure...


IBen

IBen Getiner
March 17th 06, 10:01 PM
Miami Jones wrote:

> IBen Getiner wrote:
>
> > What are you worried about...? When the cat has to go, she'll go.
> > That's the way nature made things, Doug. Better yet, put a litter box
> > in her transport cage and just drive straight on thru. No hassles.
> > Why is it that grown men like you are suddenly sooo friggin' sensitive
> > about this kind of thing, anyway...? You're a pussy-whipped, feminized
> > little lily-livered coward girlie-man, that's what you are. Aren't
> > you...
>
> can always count on you for a toid


How would you know that I'm a toid, since you're a ****ing turd ? You
can't possibly smell beyond your own stink.


IBen

IBen Getiner
March 17th 06, 10:14 PM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:

> "Miami Jones" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > IBen Getiner wrote:
> Once an [email protected]@hole always an [email protected]@hole thank the gods for kill file
> now if we can get people to snipe the [email protected]@holes comments it can be a
> perfect world :-) No offense Barry


Hahh..!! Bull-****ing-****! Matty, YOU are a sucker for what insults
your judgment and character, and I know this! You're the type of fool
who rear-ends another driver because you were too damned busy getting
off looking at another accident! Killfile my azz... You love it and
you know it, you nasty little gutless twerp...

I know you're reading this, Matty! I KNOW it! Just saying 'hi',
baby...


http://lamicil2006.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/...



IBen