PDA

View Full Version : Giving medicine to fractious feline.

March 14th 06, 01:36 AM
My cat has been sneezing and having watery eyes, so I assume the poor
guy is feeling like a lot like his master with springtime allergies.

I called his vet, and they told me to dose him with half a benadryl
pill. Now he hasn't had medication since he was a baby (8 years old
now) and he is NOT being cooperative.

The first time I tried to dose him, he fought like hell and scratched
the F out of my arm. I thought I got the pill down, but he was
frothing and drooling HUGE loogies. Not a pleasant experience.

So the second time, I got the liquid medicine and a syringe from the
vet. I rolled him into a towel so he couldn't fight, but he just would
not swallow the liquid that I managed to get into his mouth. Who knew
that his neck muscles were so strong? More frothing and drooling
followed.

I'm really worried, becacuse I know someday he will need medicine for
something more important, and I don't know how I will get him to take
it.

Phil P.
March 14th 06, 04:53 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My cat has been sneezing and having watery eyes, so I assume the poor
> guy is feeling like a lot like his master with springtime allergies.
>
> I called his vet, and they told me to dose him with half a benadryl
> pill. Now he hasn't had medication since he was a baby (8 years old
> now) and he is NOT being cooperative.
>
> The first time I tried to dose him, he fought like hell and scratched
> the F out of my arm. I thought I got the pill down, but he was
> frothing and drooling HUGE loogies. Not a pleasant experience.
>
> So the second time, I got the liquid medicine and a syringe from the
> vet. I rolled him into a towel so he couldn't fight, but he just would
> not swallow the liquid that I managed to get into his mouth. Who knew
> that his neck muscles were so strong? More frothing and drooling
> followed.
>
> I'm really worried, becacuse I know someday he will need medicine for
> something more important, and I don't know how I will get him to take
> it.

Gotta be careful with liquid meds- if you squirt into a cat's mouth too fast
he could aspirate the medication into his lungs. Try giving the meds
between the teeth and the buccal wall.

Pilling must done quickly in one fluid motion. Start by petting his head a
few times. In one swift motion press against his jaw with your thumb and
forefinger and tilt his head back- drop the pill in his mouth as far back as
you can. Then hold you hand under his chin to keep his mouth shut until he
swallows. Sometimes a puff in the face makes a cat swallow. Also, some
cats lick their lips when they're scratched at the base of the tail- this
also makes a cat swallow. If all else fails, try using a pill popper. Just
be sure to follow the pill with water or canned food- tuna water works
great.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Medicating_Your_Cat.htm

Good luck,

Phil